Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > AL320G and HXX GCS900-3D - Lathe DRO Setup

Old 12-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
joco-nz

Liked 118 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Working on the cross slide tonight and got the 3 holes drilled 6mm deep and tapped M4.

Test fits with the mounting bracket and cover before moving on to next stage which is drilling the required holes in the mounting bracket.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
XD351

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

While you have the cross slide of you may want to drill and fit 2 button oilers so you can oil the top of the dovetails and check the cross slide feed nut as mine was not flat where it makes contact with the cross slide and began to rock as the slide was wound in or out , this eventually wore the thread out .

rodw Likes This 
Old 12-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
joco-nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD351 View Post
While you have the cross slide of you may want to drill and fit 2 button oilers so you can oil the top of the dovetails and check the cross slide feed nut as mine was not flat where it makes contact with the cross slide and began to rock as the slide was wound in or out , this eventually wore the thread out .
The nut looks ok and i have adjusted it to pretty much eliminate any perceptible backlash.

On the oilers, I’m probably being thick, do you mean oil ports that will drop into where the gibb and its opposite side “squeeze” the dovetail? As distinct to the existing ports that oil where the slide runs on?

Cheers,
James.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
XD351

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Yes so the gib and opposite side dovetail get some oil , i have just done this to my 320 along with a new cross slide nut as my one was the older style and not adjustable .
I' m currently rebuilding it and making modifications as i go but for now it is still in a million pieces getting the paint stripped back .

Old 12-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #15
joco-nz

Some more progress shots from the last week and this weekend.

Cross slide post drilling with the mounting plate drilled and mounted.

The scale in place.

Testing with the cover on. Nicely just below the surface of where the topslide will mount.

Been working on a bracket for the scale reader to be mounted to. Here is the result test mounted on the top-slide scale.

Finally a test mount on the real deal. since I have all four holes on the reader drilled into the bracker I can use two on the left side and reach up through the casting to tighten them once I have the head aligned with the mounted bracket. Then carefully take off the slide to allow the last screws to be put in place and remount it all. Should work and allow for repeatable positioning within acceptable tolerances.

Cheers,
J.