Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Engines From Castings > Rudy Kouhoupt's Open Column Steam Engine - Cast & Double Size

Old 11-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
Brookesy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm keen to see where this goes since it will probably cover a lot of stuff I want to learn. Excellent project.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #22
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Liked 278 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Well, I have the 3D printer on order. It's a Cetus 3D extended with the heated bed. The printer is on back order so I will be several weeks before I get it.

Equipment on backorder isn't necessarily a bad thing. If it's due to a high volume of orders (as Cetus claims), then the product is apparently successful and there's less of a chance that the company goes belly up leaving my with an anchor when parts need replaced.

I've read many reviews and there have been very few gripes about it considering the price point (~ $450 US).

Yes this video is from the manufacturer's website, but its a decent overview of the machine..

Next up: Taking my part models and modifying them for casting molds. This will entail:
  • removing/resizing holes
  • adding sprues
  • ganging parts together (where appropriate for either machining or casting)
  • scaling 2.4% larger to account for shrinkage
I don't think adding a draft is really necessary here because the lost was method doesn't have any split mold to pull apart.

...Ved.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #23
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3936 Times on 3168 Posts

Be careful--Many old Volkswagen blocks were made from magnesium, and when heated to a near melt temperature would burst into flame and burn with a very intense white heat. You can do a web search to verify this.---Brian

Old 12-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #24
Brookesy

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely be very careful with any old Volkswagen parts. High magnesium content and extremely dangerous. Also, I've been told that the first thing to print on a 3D printer is spare parts for the printer if you can find files for them... Just a thought

Old 12-02-2017, 03:09 AM   #25
bmac2

Liked 510 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Magnesium is very simple to test for. Just clean a spot with emery and put a few drops of vinegar, If it bubbles up it magnesium.

bwal74 Likes This