Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Model Compressor---Maybe

Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #41
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3924 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The pistons, piston rods, yoke and slider are finished. The piston rod is one solid piece right now, and is Loctited and cross-pinned to the yoke. I will let it set up for 24 hours, then cut away the center of the rod. I assembled the two piece yoke with the slider in place, because I didn't want to have to disassemble anything after I cut the center out of the piston rod.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #42
Barnbikes

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Do you plan on cutting cooling fins or will the slow speed of it make it unneeded?

Will the cylinders need lubricating?

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #43
Brian Rupnow

The low speed and the fact that there is no combustion should make fins unnecessary. The cylinders will get a squirt of oil before running--it won't take much.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #44
Brian Rupnow

This morning I reclaimed some of the 1/2" x 1 1/4" aluminum flatbar from my auto-reversing project and used it to make up the two cylinder supports. I don't know how well it shows up in the picture, but both pieces required 4-jaw work to turn the 1" diameter x 0.100" long "spigot" that fits down into the end of the cylinder. Its funny, 4 jaw work used to terrify/frustrate me but just as everyone said "Do it enough times and it will get easier." They were right of course. Now the biggest pain in the butt is changing chucks whenever I need to do something in the 4 jaw.--And no, I'm not so accomplished at it that I will do all of my work in the 4 jaw. The square corners have been machined/filed into the yoke and the bronze slider installed, as well as cutting the piece of 1/4" shaft out of the center of the yoke. I'm not really sure about these aluminum pistons. They seem "grabby" when slid in and out of the cylinders but that may change with some "running in".

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #45
Brian Rupnow

It has been a snowy miserable weekend here and good wife has a cold, so I've spent more time than usual playing in my machine shop. The compressor is taking shape and beginning to look like the 3D model. The gears do mesh, and the pistons do slide back and forth, although somewhat reluctantly. I will finish up the baseplate and the drive disc that moves the yoke back and forth tomorrow, and then a bit of 'running in' on my bench set-up to loosen things up a bit. Once I get it moving freely, I will start on the 4 valves.