Project of the Month built by Stefan-K
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Engines From Castings > Bob Shores Pacifier Tribute

Old 01-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #21
michael-au
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 285 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Nice job on the pdf Steve

Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 AM   #22
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 849 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael-au View Post
Nice job on the pdf Steve
Thanks. Hopefully it will help somebody someday.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #23
Shipdisturber

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
This post picks up where we left off.

Well I was curious to see if the castings were any good. I was seeing some pits in the surface of the pieces and that made me a little nervous. I setup the oil pan casting and made some surface cuts. They looked pretty good so I surfaced the top of the casting down to size. The pocket for the crankshaft clearance was completed and all the holes were drilled and tapped if needed. The holes to mount the pan to the block are counter bored so mounting hardware will be flush and hidden when displayed. The pan will need to be bolted to the block to proceed any further.

Just in case anybody was wondering, the pan was held in the vise with about a half inch of vise jaw showing on the right side. Center "Y" was found using an edge finder between the jaws. The casting was then re-positioned center of the vise. With the flashing filed off, center X was found by centering on the casting. Y needs to be kept tight but X is not too critical. Because the mounting flanges need to be .200 thick when finished, I setup the oil pan onto a pair of 1/2 inch lathe tool blanks between the bottom of the flanges and the vise jaws. Then just touched off the blank to set the Z axis at -.200. If further information is needed email me and i can send over some 8X10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one is too me used as evidence against me. I'd post them here but my photo bucket is 97% full and I have a ways to go in the thread.
The part about the 8x10 glossy pictures reminds me of the song by Arlo Guthry "Alice's Restaurant" back in the seventies is this by any chance intentional? Beautiful work I'm really enjoying the post.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #24
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 849 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipdisturber View Post
The part about the 8x10 glossy pictures reminds me of the song by Arlo Guthry "Alice's Restaurant" back in the seventies is this by any chance intentional? Beautiful work I'm really enjoying the post.
Yes it was.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #25
e.picler
Edi from brazil

Liked 97 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very nice document PDF Getting Started Steve!

For sure it will help me a lot when touching this project. Will also save me a bunch of hours and avoiding making any mistake that could scrap the castings.

Thanks for that.

Edi