Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > Cutting 316 Stainless Steel

Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #31
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 223 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These pictures kind of illustrate what I was mentioning. This particular bearing block has screw hole provisions for a table to be mounted to.
http://www.toolsandmods.com/bandsaw/...w-blade-guides

It 'works' but the block area is quite small relative to the larger table. That means its not the best design for ensuring the table is perpendicular to the blade or square in plan view. If your saw has provisions like this, at least you are part way there. I'm probably going to make a larger sub-plate to give it more stability, but that potentially interferes with clearance in drop down mode.

There are lots of 'fixit' links in InternetLand about modifying/improving these saws & things to be aware of. My saw is a ~7x10, gearbox drive of Taiwan origin. A bit better quality but still has its quirks. They come in a multitude of colors & gradations of quality.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #32
andyh747

Absolutely spot on with regards to product buying.

From researching a lot of information regarding various machines you can tell many machines with different branding are the same machine. This reinforces the point that most are now made by one company, more often than not in China.

How British companies manage to survive is a mystery.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #33
deverett
deverett
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post
I had to respond to the comments about reviews and the difficulty one has buying decent tools these days. I have a decent number of metal and wood working tools that i have bought over the years. Three of the metal working tools came from Grizzly in the USA and the quality varied significantly for each. For example the 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw has been great - very pleased with it. I have their 1" belt sander with disc and it isn't bad for the most part but the motor is a joke. You can easily kick in the start winding with a light load on the 1" belt. The sander has no real horse power. Sadly the worse of the bunch was the drill press and frankly i don't think Grizzly has a decent model to sell.

The point im trying to make here is that if you try to rely upon internet opinions you have to deal with the fact that quality varies widely as do expectations. If i was to have asked most likely i would have heard that the 4x6 bandsaw is a piece of junk. On the other hand the comments about optimistic horse power ratings for Chinese machines have been proven true for the belt sander.

Sadly brand names mean nothing anymore. A good portion of the hand power tool selection is now made in China by one company and as a result quality has gone down hill.
When I bought my bandsaw, I relied on fellow hobby users' experiences rather than an anonymous internet review. If the machine was good enough for other hobby users, (at least one of whom is a seriously good model engineer) it is good enough for me.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

goldstar31 Likes This