Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-

Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 AM   #111
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3719 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Tonight we have an oil cup. Granted, it won't hold much more than a teaspoon full of oil, but I don't plan on doing any long haul trucking with this engine. The only reason I'm putting an oil cup on at all is that I hope to power this engine with propane. If I used my normal gas/oil mix, it wouldn't even need an oil cup. The oil-cup is just setting in place right now, without the 1/16" o.d. x 1/32" i.d. tube Loctited into it. I will wait until I have tapped the waterjacket and bolted it into place before I drill the oil hole in the top of the cylinder and Loctite the tube into the oil cup.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 AM   #112
DickInOhio
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 98 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love what your doing Brian. I'm following along. Dick

Old 05-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #113
Brian Rupnow

Thanks Dick.--I dearly love it when people drop by and say hello.---Brian

Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #114
Brian Rupnow

This next part is going to be--Ahhh--interesting. It is one of those multi purpose items that does 2 or 3 jobs. First and foremost, it provides a set of guides for the lifters to ride in. It also provides a place for the rocker arms to pivot. It acts as a "bolster" to lend some strength to the cylinder head plate which has a large "window" carved into it to access the cams which operate the valves. It could have been built from aluminum with bronze lifter guides pressed into place, but I opted for bronze because it adds some contrast to the mostly aluminum engine, and doesn't need any inserts in it for lifter guides.
People Like This 
Old 05-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #115
Brian Rupnow

I am constantly amazed by the amount of time required to make some of this stuff. I'm not slow at machining. Its just that there are so many steps and set-ups to make a simple part like this. I've just put in a complete 8 hour day making this lifter guide/bolster. It has turned out fine. I decided to make the rocker arm tower out of a separate piece, which will be bolted on. I will make it tomorrow.---Brian
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #116
Ghosty

Liked 244 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Brian, I know what you mean, 75% of the time is used when setting up or changing tooling
Keep up the great work.

Cheers
Andrew

Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #117
Cogsy

Liked 432 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 412

Looking great Brian. This is the first thread I've read since spending a week in hospital and the progress you've made is astounding. I think I might have to buy a copy of these plans off you when they're done.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #118
Brian Rupnow

Cogsy--I'm glad you're out of the hospital. I do plan on selling the plans for $25.00 plus postage.---Brian

Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #119
Brian Rupnow

This picture shows the finished bolster/lifter guide/rocker arm pivot finished and in place on the engine. The two open holes directly below the rocker pivot tower are where the valve lifters set. The camshaft and (as yet unfinished) cams set directly behind those two holes. (See picture without bolster in place.) The open slots on both sides allow me to get a hex wrench in there to lock the cams to the camshaft in the correct rotational aspect. The two open holes in the "cylinder head" are where the valves will be.

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #120
Brian Rupnow

This has been a somewhat hither-thither morning. I made and installed two brass valve cages, dealt with a roofing contractor, and helped good wife sort out a ton of stuff in my garage as she prepares for a Parkinsons Charity yard-sale. The diameter of the valve cages are such that they can't be pressed into place with fingers alone, but slide in very smoothly when coated with #638 Loctite and pressed in with my 1 ton arbor press. I have sorted thru my box of springs and found the spring that will keep my valves in the closed position. The slight recess in the top of the valve cages contains the bottom 0.050" of spring so that it can't slide over and rub on the valves when they are installed. The picture showing the inside of the cylinder head shows up a lot of dirt that I didn't even know was there. The Macro setting on my camera sometimes does that. If I'm not interrupted in the next couple of hours, I may even have some valves made today.