Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Whats Left? > The Break Room > Home built pistol

Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #71
radfordc

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default Re: Home built pistol

Blued it tonight.

Attached Thumbnails
blued.jpg  

Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #72
Chaffe

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

looking very nice, do you have any info on the bluing process? was it hot or cold blued? thanks

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #73
tel
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 110 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That bluing turned out very well - share the secret!

I come from Australia
That's my native land
Where a bird in the bush
Is worth two in the hand
baldy347 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #74
radfordc

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

The bluing process is dead simple: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=419877

Polish and clean the metal with acetone, swab on the bluing solution with a cotton ball, wait one minute and rinse in cold water. Dry, buff, and oil.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #75
Elmo4895

Likes Given: 1

I like your build. I have been pondering on building a handgun based on modified Chicopee plans. And here is one in the flesh era steel.
Elmo

Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #76
stragenmitsuko

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very nice .
One more follower .

Someday I will also try building a gun .

I'm a bit of a fan of .22 replica's of "famous" guns .
Like the gatling fi . Or the mauser C96 "broomstick" .
The tompson smg would also be on my list .
Sadly information and plans are very hard to find .

Pat

Old 05-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #77
Xtyl27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Absolutely beautiful work on the gun and on everything I've seen in this forum. I almost quit the forum when the anti-gun comments started showing up. I understand the motivations to protect everyone, but we are a partially stupid species and I've yet to see the human genius who did not portray incredible stupidity in one area or another; as a species - this is cultural - we tolerate risk, knowing we are capable of making deadly mistakes, so that our culture may advance as rapidly as possible in technology.
If as a society we put safety first - truly - we would not have long haul trucks on our highways in the U.S. All long haul shipping would be on trains. More than half of the families killed on our highways every year are due to little cars sharing the same roads with gigantic trucks. We would not have gas stoves in our kitchens. Every year people die from misuse of gas appliances or defects in gas appliances. We would not have 110 AC in our wall outlets, which kill many people, especially children. We would convert all houses and all appliances to 12 volts DC, where the electrocution hazard is virtually zero.
In the end, we have a choice as a species: complete safety and no freedom whatsoever...OR...freedom of choice and we accept lethal risks as part of that freedom, unavoidable.
I am encouraged that the moderators of this forum saw fit to maintain freedom. I have several really fun and different gun projects I wish to do and post; I look forward to learning from the masters here.

Best, Charlie
PS: In the U.S., it is STILL a constitutionally protected freedom to build your own gun without needing to register it - as a matter of fact, the ATF does not even allow the registration of home built guns - so long as it is not a machine gun or larger in caliber than 50, and so long as you never sell it or give it away...you can't even pass it on to your heirs, which sucks. In addition, if the gun is muzzle loading and uses percussion caps (type of propellant is irrelevant), it is also not-registerable and it is completely legal - even for felons - so long as you do not exceed .50" in caliber.
packrat Likes This 
Old 05-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #78
editor123

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtyl27 View Post

PS: In the U.S., it is STILL a constitutionally protected freedom to build your own gun without needing to register it - as a matter of fact, the ATF does not even allow the registration of home built guns - so long as it is not a machine gun or larger in caliber than 50, and so long as you never sell it or give it away...you can't even pass it on to your heirs, which sucks. In addition, if the gun is muzzle loading and uses percussion caps (type of propellant is irrelevant), it is also not-registerable and it is completely legal - even for felons - so long as you do not exceed .50" in caliber.
I was told by one of the folks who sell the Gatling plans that it is indeed legal to build a firearm but the only way to legally dispose of it other than destruction is to bequeath it to someone. I am not a lawyer so take my input with a large spoon of salt.
Xtyl27 Likes This 
Old 05-17-2017, 12:26 AM   #79
ldsgeek

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sale of home made firearms

The federal rule is, in general terms, you cannot make a firearm with the intention of selling it, state laws may vary from this of course. However, you can sell firearms that you have made, or give them away, or pass the to your heirs, legally, as long as the recipient is legal to receive them. They do not need to have a serial number or other identifying marks, although it is recommended that you do so in case of theft. If you make a firearm for someone else, that's when you need a license. So make them, enjoy them, and if you tire of them pass them on to others. All of this can be verified at the BATFE website.
Xtyl27 Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #80

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Some really excellent work, I think the 1/2 size Colt revolver is a work of art. Here's my effort, I made this around 40 years ago with no plans and just a few hand tools.

and a video HERE

People Like This