Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > Shop Safety rules

Old 04-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
10K Pete

Liked 112 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Re: Shop Safety rules

Nothing in this thread I would argue with! Done many of the 'examples' early on and have learned a bit in the process.

The one thing that never occurred to me was having the 'phone down where it could be reached while one was on the floor.

Outstanding thought! My wall 'phone is up at the 'normal' 60" off the floor. I'm gonna have to rethink this location!

Thanks,
Pete

Old 04-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
zeeprogrammer

Liked 172 Times on 172 Posts

re Phone on the floor. The idea really only makes sense if everyone in the house knows about it or you have a backup in the 'usual place'. If someone else needs the phone very quickly...they're going to look in the 'usual place' first.

To work. To work.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
arnoldb

Liked 93 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't have a "land line" 'phone, only a cellular 'phone. I have a profile set on the 'phone for "incremental" ring without vibration for the workshop. I keep the 'phone in my pants-pocket so don't get startled at "sudden" rings, nor unexpected vibrations, but it is always close at hand.

Also, I make sure the first couple of contacts on my phone is for emergency contacts. I never let my 'phone out of my sight, but, should something happen, anybody else that use it gets an emergency number first - even a kid playing with it.

The "kid playing with it" sounds wrong, but this has been known to save lives - just keep your cellular 'phone away from kids normally

Arnold

Old 08-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 814 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
re Phone on the floor. The idea really only makes sense if everyone in the house knows about it or you have a backup in the 'usual place'. If someone else needs the phone very quickly...they're going to look in the 'usual place' first.
A few weeks back I was doing a job at St. Gobain Abrasives (They own Norton abrasives). IIRC the first place I have ever seen that has exit signs Above the doors AND AT FLOOR LEVEL next to the door. Not that any of us have exit signs at home . but if you think about it they tell you to low crawl out of a fire. How can one see an exit light at ceiling level . I think sometime safety planning requires thinking outside the box. another good one is have power tools and lighting on separate circuits. that way if the power tool trips a cb or gfci the lights do not go out leaving you in the dark.
Tin

Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
vlmarshall

Liked 55 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Falcon
...the first place I have ever seen that has exit signs Above the doors AND AT FLOOR LEVEL next to the door.
Nice idea, I like that!

Reading back over these, one I'll mention; at work I have one of those adhesive-backed, wide-angle mirrors stuck to the head of the mill I'm most often running. Nothing worse than someone walking up behind ya while you're concentrating on something.

Sherline 5400 mill, Xylotex drivers and EMC controller
Sherline 4400 lathe, Gecko drivers and EMC controller

Old 11-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #16
Tin Falcon

Hey guys I just updated the safety rules again.
This update was inspired by the 101 used for a counter top oven post. and by my work environment which is some place different just about every day.
One of the places I work is chemical laboratory and production plants. There are signs all over on ovens , ice machines refrigerators and other storage areas and sometimes lab doors office doors and doors in hallways that designate areas where food and eating is or is not allowed and areas for chemical only use or food only use.
And the tapping thread reminds me of the need to keep food and chemicals seperate in the shop. That old tap magic is great for threading but not in the coffee mug or iced tea glass be safe guys.
Tin

Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
PhillyVa

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That's a good point Tin...don't forget to wash hands before eating too.

Philly

Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
Tin Falcon

Thanks you are right that has been added to the safety rule list as well.
here is the added section:

Quote:
Chemical safety
Keep all solvents cutting oils and other chemicals in proper storage containers.
keep all chemicals in clearly marked containers.
Keep food and chemicals separated.
Do not use food ovens for chemicals or chemical ovens for food.
( If you use an old oven from the kitchen for chemicals it is now a chemical oven!
Wash hands before eating drinking smoking or using the bathroom (and after).

tin

Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
enginebob

Although it has already been said,it is worth it to repeat, ALWAYS and I do mena ALWAYS wear safety glasses. Sunglasses,reading,or other glasses don't do! Always wear safety glasses. I'm big on safety glasses cause my uncle lost and eye,cause he wasn't wearing safety glasses.
EB

Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
woodnut

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is a great list of rules. Short, precise and to the point.

My shop is mostly in the garage. The entrance into it from the house there is a light switch which operates a single light bulb that I can see from just about everywhere in the garage. I tell everyone that comes into the garage from the house or needs to get my attention to flick this light switch 3 times or until I notice. I been startled one to many times.

Be Safe and Happy Casting

John