Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > How to Start?

Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #21
rlukens
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Hipo,
Welcome to the fold. If you don't have time for classes, at least spend some time on Youtube. There's a wealth of knowledge right at your desk.
If you don't have one, I'd recommend a decent bench grinder. Working with soft metals, there's no need for carbide tools. Learn to grind your own HSS. Also a full set of letter, number, and fractional drills will be useful. https://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc...dex-61620.html

Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
ACHiPo
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlukens View Post
Hipo,
Welcome to the fold. If you don't have time for classes, at least spend some time on Youtube. There's a wealth of knowledge right at your desk.
If you don't have one, I'd recommend a decent bench grinder. Working with soft metals, there's no need for carbide tools. Learn to grind your own HSS. Also a full set of letter, number, and fractional drills will be useful. https://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc...dex-61620.html
I’ve got those covered. I subscribe to Tubal Cain, This Old Tony, Abom, NYC CNC, Fusion 360 training, etc. I have a bunch of sharpening stuff from my woodworking hobby: an 8” 1750 RPM grinder with balanced wheels (I do need better guards and lighting) and a Veritas rest, a Lap-sharp honing system, several water stones, and diamond hones. I picked up a nearly new set of screw length US cobalt fractional, number and letter drills. I also have several incomplete sets of HSS drill bits.

I will grind a right and left handed shear tool this weekend as my first HSS grinding project—hopefully they will allow me to get a good finish on my copper disk.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-14-2017 at 10:32 AM.