Project of the Month built by SilverSanJuan
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machining with Disabilities > Why a forum on disabilities?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 AM   #91
nel2lar

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVH View Post
What a great thread. Thank you Gail.

I was diagnosed with MS in 2004. I spent almost 4 years on the couch/bed. I am 42 years young. I will not let this take over my life. I spend about 2-4 hours a day in my shop and about 13 hours sleeping. If you have a disability embrace it, fight like hell, and don't give up.

Evan
Evan
I must agree we can not let a little pain stop us. I received my disability from Social Security in 2012 and spent a lot of years in bed but recently I have said enough. I once planted a garden over 1/4 acre. Well this year I will try to plant and take care of it. Putting seed in the ground is just the start and I'm going to give it all I have. I love to get into my shop and just loose hours, sometimes I can actually forget about the pain. When that happens I get the feeling I am in control and not the pain. But when I lay down to sleep I usually sleep for more than 12 hours. Wake up and feel the pain all over and find a position and drop off to sleep, the only peace to be found at times. My pain comes from my own body they call it Autoimmune*Diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and recently they say I also have arthritis. With both of them pain is unbearable but it seem the more I do the better I feel. 59 years old and I'm not giving up. Be strong my fellow sufferers.
Nelson C just hard headed

Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #92
Robsmith

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm disabled in a big way right now . TOOO mAny BeeRs !

ex-Gooserider Likes This 
Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #93
windy

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Been a year behind with my projects having heart problems then Burkitt's lymphoma I'm sending this from my hospital bed at York.
At moment everything going well as far as treatment but can never take anything for granted.
On my days off between two and a half weeks in the ward have been getting some billets of EN24T for crankshaft of my latest steam machine.
A chap I know who lost an arm and with his compensation bought two CNC machines the work he does is amazing for my speed machine friends he also has a Capri with a soaped up large engine he plays about with.
Here is an attachment picture of my materials etc. that hopefully if OK can turn into swarth for a steam motorcycle engine.
Attached Thumbnails
2017_0209_120304.jpg  

Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #94
Cogsy

Liked 416 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
for my speed machine friends he also has a Capri with a soaped up large engine he plays about with.
I would so love to see that project. I have in my shed/shop a 1970 V6 GT Capri that I first bought when I was 18 years old, sold it when I was 29 and bought it back as a MAJOR project 3 years ago. One day, when I have the money, it will be the toughest thing on wheels (round here anyway), til then it just takes up 3/4 of the space in my shed, waiting patiently...

Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #95
pigpen60

I'm tone deaf and have secada's in my ears(tinitis?) I have wondered if those electronic muffs the shooters use could double as hearing protection and hearing aids of sorts?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #96
pigpen60

WOOHOO! first post!

Old 02-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #97
Cogsy

Liked 416 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen60 View Post
I'm tone deaf and have secada's in my ears(tinitis?) I have wondered if those electronic muffs the shooters use could double as hearing protection and hearing aids of sorts?
My father uses them at the range, basically never takes them off. They are very good at muffling the shots and help him hear what people are saying to him, as well as actually letting him hear the tone to start firing.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #98
ex-Gooserider
Maker of things

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen60 View Post
Seems to me like one of those things that you would need to try for yourself, as everyone will have different responses to a given piece of kit... However they aren't that expensive, and probably could be resold for close to purchase price if they don't work for you... My only advice would be to get a GOOD unit, don't try to cheap out with some of the less expensive ones like they sell at Harbor Fright... Folks I know that have tried both said there is a really big difference between them. I've heard several folks say very good things about the Dewalt units. One effect that I found a little disconcerting when I tried a cheap unit several years back before I got hurt, is that there is a slight delay between when you make a noise, and when you hear it. If you've ever use a PA system and noticed the delay between your talking and when it comes over the speaker, its the same sort of thing... I noticed it particularly when walking, as I'd hear the noise of my shoe hitting the floor long after I FELT my foot hit the floor.... How much this will bother you is something only you will know.... ex-Gooserider

Old 02-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #99
PoppyAnn

Default Hi to you

Hi PigPen,

like you I suffer from tinitis due to working in to much noise and no protection the hearing protectors that are not powered reduce the high frequency noises but allow the lower frequency noises to pass with little reduction and if your tinitis is bad it will not do anything to reduce it as the noise you think you are hearing is created within your ear if you are trying to reduce the noise of machines then they will reduce it fairly well and still allow you to hear people talking or music playing, for me my tinitis is worse when there is little or no noise so I try to have something playing in the background which gives the impression of reducing the ringing in the ear.
another thing to try are the powered noise reducing headphones which when there is quite loud background noise will cancel out almost all of it I wear them any time I have to fly anywhere as the plane engine noise I find quite painful and as soon as i power them up it is like the plane engines have been turned off so for me they are well worth the price.

good luck with finding something that works for you.

Regards Poppy Ann.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:24 AM   #100
pigpen60

Thanks for all the replies! My tinitis doesnt bother me too much as Ive had it for most of my life but the tone deaf seems to crank everyone off. Especially women with high pitch voices! I'm goin to try out the muffs at a friends place, he has muffs from cheap to high dollar. Folks leave them at the range or on vender days he gets freebies. Right this moment I'm fighting with my left leg, something popped behind my knee and its making walking hard. As for the chairs someone posted earlier, I went to school to be a machinist and we were never aloud a chair on the floor cause they said it was unsafe. Well I own/run my little shop and so I say whatever it takes to do what you love! I have 2 chars built outta tractor pan seats and the running gear from a office chair. I have had a couple of exciting moments with the drillpress but had an escape plan and things went well(No blood). So in closing do whatever it takes to keep going!