Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Polishing using lathe upgrade

Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Divided He ad

Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Default Polishing using lathe upgrade

Some of you may remember the post I deleted a little while ago after some objections to the use of a buffing mop in the lathe chuck?
Well I did listen and have made the necessary adjustments to make it as safe as any buffing wheel. IMO.

Once again I am NOT telling you that this is perfect or totally safe.... You are still working with machinery and that is ALWAYS dangerous.

Well on with the post... Due to some donated parts and a little time in the shop (this is the first time I wanted to polish anything for some time) I made this little set up.... And in my eyes it is far safer to use than with the chuck attached. I can't see a dedicated buffing machine being any safer than this... Feel free to shout out any objections... I'll not remove this post.

MT3 blank....

A bit of free hand shaping, making sure to leave a collar the same size as the thread... A bit safer than turning it all down to 16MM

A little flat to aid drilling.

Drilled and tapped for grubscrew M6x1.0.

drill for pigtail shaft to fit, in this instance 6mm

And you end up with this....

Add a buffing mop and you are away

This not only provides a Great deal more safety but also allows you to get to both sides of the mop easily

Very happy with this mod Just used it to polish a the mini ball turner

I am thinking about a cover for the threads.... Just a cylinder held in place by the MT3, there is enough of a gap between the arbour and the spindle to accommodate a cover.... Well that's for next time I'm going to polish something

Ralph.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
Powder keg

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Default Re: Polishing using lathe upgrade

Great job as always Ralph! Thanks for sharing;o)

Wes

Idaho:o)

A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Divided He ad

Hi Wes, Glad you like it.

Good to see you around too

Ralph.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
ksouers

Liked 55 Times on 55 Posts

Hey Wes! Welcome back!

BTW, Ralph. Nice job around the chuck problem.

Now you need to do some internal single point threading to sleeve that spindle

I make things.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 814 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Ralph Nice work Yes I would definitely cover the threads. My south bend came with a cover that I always use when turning with my 3-c collets.
you may be able to find one one e-bay or just make one .it just screws onto the spindle thread good practice in internal threading you may want to make a copy of your spindle nose first to use as a plug gauge. A plug gauge is good to have anyway if you need to machine a back plate face plate or drive plate, in the future.
Tin

Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
CrewCab

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Ralph .......... ............. I can't see the join ..........

Great work and brilliant idea's as ever feller

As for a cover for the spindle nose, I was looking at one on "That" auction site for the Boxford a while back but it ended up going for silly money ...... I'll just keep have to keep looking

CC

Old 11-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Divided He ad

I wasn't thinking of anything too elaborate to cover the thread.... Just a sleeve!

Basically a tube with a smaller hole in the right hand end to slide over the threads and then be held in place when the MT3 is inserted.

It's only going to be used when I'm polishing parts, about an hour or two near the end of a project

Still glad you guys like it, and I would take a go at the threaded version if I used my spindle for collets. If for no other reason than to protect the thread from swarf etc. I'll see how the mood takes me when I come to make the sleeve

(anyone ever noticed that swarf is not in the spell check??.... Dwarf appears to be the closest )

Ralph.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3936 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Did you know that a little wee short fellow covered in metal filings is a "Swarf Dwarf" Oh My God---Did I just say that Having polished a number of things over the years, I am curious as to what is going to happen the first time the buffing wheel grabs something out of your hands and propels it out the back side of the buffing wheel at 600 miles per hour. I hope you are good at ducking ricochets!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
compound driver 2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

What about the problem of polishing compound getting under the saddle and any other place it can find?
Id think again before using a lathe for polishing like that you could end up with a lot of polishing in places you dont want it.
At the least cover everything with cloth to minimise any contamination.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Divided He ad

I cover the bed and the saddle before polishing, I also clean the bed (using de-greasing agent) and then re-oil if a lot of polishing has been done before doing anymore work.

I clean the bed and re-oil regularly anyway, so it should be ok

Ralph.