Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Thinking about making an oxy-hydrogen system for use in the shop.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Kaleb

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Default Thinking about making an oxy-hydrogen system for use in the shop.

I have been told by some people at a welding course that an oxy-acetylene system is so much better for silver soldering than my air-LPG torch which I currently use for soldering and annealing copper, but oxy-acetylene is expensive! $300 for the equipment package, and an extra $250-300 for the yearly cylinder hire, and an extra $100-150 or so in gas levy per year to boot! I just can't afford such a system. So I thought, why not use hydrogen instead? I did some reasearch, and I found they use oxy-hydrogen for underwater welding, (It gets up to 2800 degrees celsius!) and I can easily generate both gases from water using electrolysis. Instead of pressurised cylinders, I intend to get the pressure needed in the torch by using a pair of electric pumps. The torch itself will be similar to a regular oxy-acetylene torch. I also intend to make a flame cutting torch at some point as well. I've attached a diagram of the electrolysis cell and torches I intend to make.

If the pictures look funny, just click to enlarge them.

Attached Thumbnails
Picture1.gif   Picture2.gif  

Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
tel
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 110 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Re: Thinking about making an oxy-hydrogen system for use in the shop.

An ambitious undertaking Kaleb, tho' I suspect that the cost of electricity to generate useful amounts would cost as much, or more than the cost of conventional O/A. Then there is the heat loss you will have - Oxy/Acet generates, from memory, something like 3200C - a 400 loss.

You might be better looking at generating acetylene from calcium carbide - it must be still available as the banana growers ripen bananas with acetylene made in generators. Comes, I am led to believe, in 20kg drums.

I come from Australia
That's my native land
Where a bird in the bush
Is worth two in the hand

Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Florian

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

Its also possible to use propane and compressed air!

I use an airbrush-compressor (much too small actually) and a 5 kg propane bottle to solder. If i don't need much heat, i just use propane.

When soldering boilers or when i want to heat up very quickly, i open the air valve and then i have more heat. I have even made a new jet with a bigger bore for soldering with air.

Cheers Florian
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01097.JPG   DSC02407.JPG  

Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
shred

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts

Jewelers have little electrolysis Oxy-Hydrogen setups for doing metals that oxidize poorly, but for some reason they're very expensive and have very small flames. I suspect you'll need a whole lot of H2 production to heat anything reasonably large.

Florian's setup looks interesting-- can you post some more details?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
IronHorse
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

A few years ago I got one of those portable Oxy/Ace units for work on my car. They are convenient because you own the tanks. The tanks are only 14" long, but hold a fair amount of gas. Works perfect for silver soldering with a small tip.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...112&zmap=65818

IronHorse

Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
bucketboy

I've used oxy-hydrogen for underwater welding. I would not recommend its use for anything other than that, hydrogen is very touchy stuff if not treated kindly

Bb

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Kaleb

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorse
A few years ago I got one of those portable Oxy/Ace units for work on my car. They are convenient because you own the tanks. The tanks are only 14" long, but hold a fair amount of gas. Works perfect for silver soldering with a small tip.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...112&zmap=65818

IronHorse
That's just what I need, but I'm in Australia.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Florian

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred
can you post some more details?
I can, but you will have to wait till evening (european time...)

It is actually just a small tube which adds some additional Air to the gas and the air drawn into by the gas. But i guess it could be optimized to draw in more Air... (when using an air jet and placing it on the outside to carry on some more air.

cheers Florian

Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
bob ward

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

From here, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7075209AAyR9sB, I gleaned that at 100% efficiency a 13.2kw power supply will separate water into H2 and O2 at the rate of 1000kg in 24 hours, or 700gm per minute.

A household 240v 10amp circuit provides 2.4kw, which from the above, will electrolize 130gm per minute. There are losses in the system of course, best practice is around 70% efficient, a home made system could be 50% efficient. Even so, at 50% efficiency you will be electrolizing 65gm of water per minute, which should be enough to do fair size silver solder jobs.

I imagine that the cost to build a safe electrolysis system that can absorb a 2.4kw power supply will outweigh the initial purchase cost of an OA system and a few years bottle rent. I'll leave you to work out the cost of your power consumption v buying OA gas.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
rickharris

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ceOL83PM24...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ceOL83PM24&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

There are commercial systems about.