Project of the Month built by apointofview
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > About Home Model Engine Machinist > Geting Started in Model Engine Building

Old 08-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #31
robcas631
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 3582

I find the introduction informative! There is a wealth of knowledge here!

"Times are worse than they should be but not as bad as they could be." <<< Me
larry1 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
workshopman

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

If your first project is to be a small stationary steam engine, as it often is, then the following may be of help. This shows the methods for making a Stuart 10V/H using just a lathe and drilling machine.
http://www.homews.co.uk/page42.html

Harold

Last edited by workshopman; 01-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #33
gus
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

Send a message via Yahoo to gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by workshopman View Post
If your first project is to be a small stationary steam engine, as it often is, then these web pages may be of help.

Harold
Hi Harold,
I agree. This forum is great help.We can tap the expertise of so many hobby machinist,retired professional machinist,Die and Tool Makers etc.Forum members are very polite.I wish the Singapore Fishing Forum would follow your good example. Good catdhes I post get ugly uncalled for comments,

Gus too is embarking on building a 0.46 Glow Plug Engine with plans from the UK Model Engineer Magazine. As I proceed I will post fotos and progress report.Will take three months to complete And Gus is in no hurry. Why rush and why take time to get parts done to print and personal satisfaction.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #34
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 808 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Popular Mechanics

the Popular Mechanics Magazines have been published since 1910 and with the advent of modern technology Google books has made them available in electronic format. (You may have known this but thought I would mention it here.)

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=RdMDAAAAMBAJ
for those of you who do not know from the 1930s into the 1960s there were a good amount of steam engine projects published as well as how to articles related to lathes shaper and other home shop tools.

many of these projects focused on scrounged materials and minimal shop tools available. so enjoy searching and browsing the archives.
Be prepared to be creative because some of the materials are at best now from antiques.
Tin

Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 808 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default New Resource 3 in 1 Machines

I am always on the lookout for resources to help beginners in the home Machinist /model engine hobby. I came across some beginners video on you-tube produced by smithy.
http://www.smithy.com/traning-videos

If you click on the Machining help tab you will see a list of additional resources that may be of interest to folks here.

This link should be of particular interest to owners of of 3 in 1 machines smithy's specialty.

I am not endorsing smithy or recommending a 3 in 1. but I do know that the 3 in 1 is a viable choice and some folks have them.
also this appears to be basic info applicable to all machine shops with lathe and or mill.

I watched the first 3 (lathe) videos) they are packed with info a bit fast on the video cuts. and cover a lot of material in a short time. so not long or boring and can easily be reviewed repeatedly if something is missed.
these videos are as I mentioned earlier on you tube.
This could be the info needed to get good results from your 3 in 1
Tin .

Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
Stieglitz

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks Tin Falcon will be a great start for me

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
Lawijt

Liked 78 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Search on youtube for "myfordboy". Also very interesting to watch. I learn some things from him. But stil a lot to learn......
Rays Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #38
TimBurks13

I found a very useful resource out here thanks for the sharing friends.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #39
Tinkerer58

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A great book I have used when I first started some 4 years ago and still use today is-- Model Engineering A Foundation Course by Peter Wright.
It covers everything from Setting up a Workshop, Measuring & Marking out, Basic Hand Work, Bending & Forming, Metal Joining, Hole Production, Threads, Basic Lathe Work & Tooling, Holding Work in the Lathe, Principles of Turning, Basic Lathe Practice , Adapting the Lathe includes milling and other work, Buying a Lathe.

Other books I found very useful for beginners are school text books generally available in second hand book stores.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
vascon2196

Liked 266 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Falcon View Post
I am always on the lookout for resources to help beginners in the home Machinist /model engine hobby. I came across some beginners video on you-tube produced by smithy.
http://www.smithy.com/traning-videos

If you click on the Machining help tab you will see a list of additional resources that may be of interest to folks here.

This link should be of particular interest to owners of of 3 in 1 machines smithy's specialty.

I am not endorsing smithy or recommending a 3 in 1. but I do know that the 3 in 1 is a viable choice and some folks have them.
also this appears to be basic info applicable to all machine shops with lathe and or mill.

I watched the first 3 (lathe) videos) they are packed with info a bit fast on the video cuts. and cover a lot of material in a short time. so not long or boring and can easily be reviewed repeatedly if something is missed.
these videos are as I mentioned earlier on you tube.
This could be the info needed to get good results from your 3 in 1
Tin .
Tin...these videos are awesome. I use them in my Manufacturing Processes class to help prepare my students in using our machines.

"A good craftsman never blames his tools"
gus Likes This