Project of the Month built by Ghosty
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Project Of The Month > Project of the month rules?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
NickG

Liked 29 Times on 40 Posts

Default Project of the month rules?

So are there any rules or guidelines for nominations? Do the projects have to be complete, recent etc etc?

And if there are any rules, who is going to police them? Or could it be written in some sort of IT script so people can't nominate themselves / nominate twice etc? Maybe the moderators should select a list of say 10 projects with voting buttons and exclude the project owners from voting on their own.

I don't know - maybe a point this has raised is that it's too complex to have rules, so if somebody wants to vote for themselves, so-be-it.

I can't reply to the nomination for december post so does the vote go on the first 3? Does that just mean you have to be quick off the mark then?

Nick

Old 12-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Cedge

Liked 60 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: Project of the month rules?

Nick
There are no specific rules in play for the EOM polls. It's not meant to be a contest, but a chance for members to give a bit of credit to and or honor a builder that has impressed them with their efforts. The admins have already heard the rumbling feedback, discussed the situation and came to the conclusion that placing restrictions on EOM submissions was not required.

It was also discussed that if it ever became a friction point, the whole EOM effort could be eliminated rather than deal with people getting angry that their choices were not selected. The consensus was that the feature was popular enough to maintain as long as it doesn't create conflict. I'd really rather not see a popular part of the board become extinct just because we can't all behave in an adult fashion. I suspect I'm not the only one.

While it might a bit awkward, placing oneself in nomination isn't prohibited.... but it could be easily seen as... well.... tacky...(grin)

If you have a favorite, submit it, but don't expect the rest of the board to await your submission before they add their own.

Submissions from any individual are welcome..... and no.... it's not fair to say you can't make a submission every month, although making more than one per cycle might be a bit over the top.

If you want to add a project to the polling, get it in early.

A lot of credit is due to those of you who brought up the subject. It's an indicator that you truly support this board and those who contribute posts to make it all work. Truth being told, the board has gotten large enough that I have a hard time getting around to track all the projects. The fact that you guys manage to do is proof that this place is filling a real need. Keep the passion flowing but let's not get into a red zone situation over something meant only to be fun.

Steve
Who tried and failed to withdraw his own engine from EOM consideration.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Metal Butcher
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 66 Times on 66 Posts

The current nomination system seems to be becoming out dated due to the growth of the forum. Rather than expecting the creation of rules that need enforcing by the over burdened administrators. I propose a simple solution that could work well. Rather than deal with the problems that conflict can cause by eliminating "Project of the month", the administrators could simply post their individual choices for the general membership to vote on. Administrators already have a place of honor on the forum and would be exempt. One nominee per administrator, with no duplicate nominations. Nominations would of course be on a voluntarily basis. No rules would apply to their choice of a nominee, Period. This nominee thread would of course be closed to any posting by the general membership. And then the members would simply place their vote.

The honor of ones project pictured at the top of the home page on HMEM has been an inspiration to me, and other members I'm sure. I for one would hate to see it eliminated.

EDIT; The nominations would be provided by Administation and that of course includes all our Moderators.

IMHO

-MB

Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
LADmachining

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"The nominations would be provided by Administation and that of course includes all our Moderators."
-MB

Interesting you should say this, as I thought that this was how the nomination process worked when I first joined the site.....

Anthony

Current Work-In-Progress -* Sparey 5cc Diesel (x2)

Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Metal Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADmachining
"The nominations would be provided by Administation and that of course includes all our Moderators."
-MB

Interesting you should say this, as I thought that this was how the nomination process worked when I first joined the site.....

Anthony
Hi Anthony. I am not sure if that's how it was. I joined about a year ago.
And I have never been at the right place or the right time to place a nomination. This is somewhat frustrating, as its over with before you find out it even began. It seems that very few members vote, and this could be the reason why.

-MB

Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
mklotz
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 138 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Centralizing candidate selection in the admins would also help to get rid of the apples-oranges problems we've seen in the past.

A well-executed newbie engine run against a masterpiece from one of our top craftsmen just isn't sensible. Both engines deserve recognition but the newbie is overwhelmed.
Similarly with steam and IC engines. They're a different breed and putting them up against each other becomes a test of how many steam or gas aficionados are resident.

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Metal Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklotz
Centralizing candidate selection in the admins would also help to get rid of the apples-oranges problems we've seen in the past.

A well-executed newbie engine run against a masterpiece from one of our top craftsmen just isn't sensible. Both engines deserve recognition but the newbie is overwhelmed.
Similarly with steam and IC engines. They're a different breed and putting them up against each other becomes a test of how many steam or gas aficionados are resident.
Marv, that's exactly the way I see it! I believe this (centralizing) would come as close as possible to giving a broader cross section of the members an opportunity to have there projects voted on. With twelve months in a year all of the different categories of home shop built engines could be easily covered. No group wold be left out or face unfair grouping.

-MB

Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
bearcar1
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklotz

You are absolutely correct MK. Granted, all of the nominations in the past have been exceptional, however, as you say, a newcomers simple oscillator that has been painstakingly crafted and finished never seems to hold water against some of the more elegant and complex engines that some members seem to be able to generate. I'd like to see some sort of plan used as a trial that pits "apples to apples" so to speak. The fact of the matter that roughly only about 100 members out of about 1800 or so will most likely never change. That fact alone is very disturbing in and of itself as well.

Here is a general question/suggestion for the powers that be.
How about setting up a rotational schedule in regards to types of engines ei: steam, IC, wobbler/oscillators, etc, that are being voted upon each month. Albeit, this month could be steam, three nominations of steam engines gets selected. Next month, three IC engines get selected for the voter's choices, and so on. This would at the very least level the playing field for those of us who are not as far up on the learning curve as some folks.

Just something for the head gurus to moll over in their spare time. (yeah right) Now maybe we should go portal to portal getting the word out to people to cast their votes in whatever type of system that gets utilized.

BC1
Jim

Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Twmaster

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I have to agree with the points made above. Keep apples with apples. Last month was a good example. It pitted Black85vette's nice EZ-built engine against two other far more complex engines. It's not a surprise the EZ engine didn't win.

Note: This is not a dig at anybody. I look at every engine build ongoing here. All of you who take the time to show your handiwork have my respect and admiration.

Lastly, Nominating one's self should not be allowed. Tacky IMHO.

Folded, bended, spindled and mutilated. But happy.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
NickG

Liked 29 Times on 40 Posts

I think I agree with what all of you are saying here. Each post has some good points in it, we may be forgetting the fact that it was changed to project of the month too, not engine of the month. So I think it'd be hard to devise things into categories - there would be too many. People should take everything into consideration when voting.

Another thought - maybe the admin should collectively decide on the winner. That way the vote is always constant and you know everything will be considered. I do believe that i.c. engines generally attract more attention than compressed air engines.

Nick