Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Finished Projects > Kerzel is finally running

Old 11-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
jimsshop1
Steamman70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Kerzel is finally running

Hi all,

I started the Kerzel almost 2 years ago. After machining all the parts and assembling it all, I tried for months to get it running. It would fire with a drill running it but as soon as the drill was removed it would stall. I even wore out one of the crank bushings from trying everything I knew to get it to run on it's own. Finally I put it away and moved on to rebuilding a couple of full size hit miss engines. In doing these restorations I realized that the flywheels were massive and heavy on both of them. This got me to thinking about the Kerzel. Maybe the flywheels were not heavy enough to keep the engine running so I turned a couple of Brass Rings and heated them up a bit and dropped them over the original flywheels. Then I trued them up in my trusty South Bend 9" and put them back on the Kerzel. Guess what? The thing ran like a top! Problem solved. I now have a beautiful running engine and would like to post a video of it running for you guys to see. I have uploaded the video to youtube but can't figure out how to post it on here. If someone could help me do this I will show it on here today.

BTW I have been on here for a couple years under a different name as 65arboc but for some reason I lost my account and had to re register as a new user. Thanks for all I have learned from this forum. What a great bunch of people on here!:

Jim in Pa

Old 11-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3627 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Congratulations on a running engine. Start your you-tube video playing. Up at the very top of the screen in the title line, right click--that will hi-lite the entire title line. That opens up a sub menu with the option to "copy" click on :copy: then come back to the forum, start a new post under this existing thread and right click, then accept "paste". That should be all there is too it.---Brian

Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
jimsshop1
Steamman70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default The Kerzel Runs

Thanks Brian, hopefully this will work.

https://youtu.be/8fTa-4WJY5M
Parksy Likes This 
Old 11-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3627 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Jim--You have done a lovely job. The only comment I have to make is that it is not going in and out of hit and miss mode very much, it is running more as a conventional 4 cycle engine. If you run slightly weaker springs on the governor arms you will get it to hit, then miss 4 or 5 cycles, then hit again. Nonetheless, it is a great achievement to have a lovely and running engine.---Brian

Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Cogsy

Liked 393 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Nice job, great work.

With your YouTube link, use the one from a 'normal YouTube watch page rather than from your account dashboard, that doesn't have YouTube split (not youtu.be) and has the word "watch" in it and it will display within your thread itself.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
jimsshop1
Steamman70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rupnow View Post
Jim--You have done a lovely job. The only comment I have to make is that it is not going in and out of hit and miss mode very much, it is running more as a contemporary 4 cycle engine. If you run slightly weaker springs on the governor arms you will get it to hit, then miss 4 or 5 cycles, then hit again. Nonetheless, it is a great achievement to have a lovely and running engine.---Brian
Brian,

Thank you for the kind comments. Actually the hit miss mode is not working at all in this video. Besides getting the perfect 14:1 fuel ratio with the vapor (carb), the hit miss mode is the most difficult part of this build. I have made that little trip lever at least 3 times and if I fiddle with the governor settings I can get it to do the hit miss thing but can't seem to achieve the ideal rpm to keep it running. I will keep trying though. Yes it is a great feeling to finally get this engine running! My friends are amazed and some have asked me if it is a kit. But when I tell them that I made every part except the gears and the spark plug, they are even more amazed. It was a fun but sometimes frustrating project and I want to especially thank you Brian for the inspiration to build this beautiful running engine. Before I started back on the Kerzel, I built the Webster just to see if I could build a running engine and it was much simpler to build and started first thing. What I didn't like about the Webster was that it got very hot if run very long and I would have to keep replacing the O-ring. With the Kerzel I have run it steady for over an hour and the water in the hopper only gets to 160 degrees. Thank you again for the help. I only wish I could be as great a machinist as you are!

Jim in Pa.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
jimsshop1
Steamman70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsy View Post
Nice job, great work.

With your YouTube link, use the one from a 'normal YouTube watch page rather than from your account dashboard, that doesn't have YouTube split (not youtu.be) and has the word "watch" in it and it will display within your thread itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTa...ature=youtu.be
Cogsy,

Thank you for the kudos. I'm not sure what you mean though about youtube and does it really matter how I present the video?

Thank you,

Jim in Pa.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Cogsy

Liked 393 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsshop1 View Post
Cogsy,

Thank you for the kudos. I'm not sure what you mean though about youtube and does it really matter how I present the video?

Thank you,

Jim in Pa.
No worries Jim, you can post any link you want to of course, but if you use the type I used the video shows up in the forum rather than opening on the Youtube site. Personal preference and it really doesn't matter.
It is a bit difficult to explain, but if you look at the link you posted and the one that shows up in the quote you did of my post , you can see the subtle difference.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
jimsshop1
Steamman70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsy View Post
No worries Jim, you can post any link you want to of course, but if you use the type I used the video shows up in the forum rather than opening on the Youtube site. Personal preference and it really doesn't matter.
It is a bit difficult to explain, but if you look at the link you posted and the one that shows up in the quote you did of my post , you can see the subtle difference.
I see the difference but still don't understand how to do it. Computer illiterate I guess

Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
Engine maker

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Is it my imagination or is your engine running backwards

You know you've had a good day in the shop when you have to clean up with a #10 coal shovel!