I didn't know they would do that, I guess the metal expands and stops tiny leaks.
These few post are coming fast because I have been working on this project a little while before I got around to posting my work. I'll be caught up soon and the updates will slow up considerably.
I switched gears and started the steam engine next because I had to order a tap to work on the burner for the boiler. I cant continue the boiler till I see how big the burner will turn out and where it needs to be positioned to work well.
The vee twin engine I am going to build is called Modelldampfmaschine V10/12. I found these plans on the internet here - http://www.plans-for-everything.com/...%20VGerman.pdf
I am using google translate to understand the directions. I haven't worked with metric dimensions in the little experience I have machining so that has been a new challenge.
The first part in the plans is the engine base. It calls for two concave cutouts with a 16mm radius, and I sat around staring at my mill for a while wondering how I would pull off this cut. I looked into buying a 32mm T-slot cutter, but that was 30-40$ for a cheap ebay cutter and the less I spend the better so I had to try something else. I came up with a homemade setup that used a 5/8" piece of cold rolled steel with a hole drilled near the end and a set screw to hold a HSS #21 drill bit shank that was repurposed to form a 3mm cutting edge. I was able to set the cutting radius to 16mm and made a few test cuts on scrap, and it worked great. Everything else was straight forward, I just went real slow to get the part exactly to the plans. I haven't built an engine using real plans before, it sure is nice to just build what is called for and not have to wing it the whole time !
Starting so square up the stock
Testing the new cutter on scrap
All done with the radius cutouts. What isn't in the pictures is the scrapped version that almost got this far but the cutouts were messed up. I forgot to take into consideration the thickness of the tool when I was watching my DRO when cutting the length of the cutout. It was 3mm to long when I pulled it off the vise !!! Lots of time down the drain...
Drilling the holes very carefully because there isnt way to match drill the bearing blocks that will sit on it. Which is my usual practice. This is the better way but its hard for me, my skills, and my loose chinese tooling !!
First part complete