Project of the Month built by TonyM

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > CNC Machines and Conversions > Luck of the Dumpster

Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #21
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Liked 272 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Continuing on with the spindle mount...

The clamp ring is kind of a mini-project in itself given the number of steps it takes to make this thing. Also, I've stated in previous threads: SLITTING SAWS SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!

Note the upper screws are far too long. They're just what I have laying around. I'll get the correct length when I get to the hardware store.

Onto the pictures....

Attached Thumbnails
DSC01540.jpg   DSC01539.jpg   DSC01542.jpg   DSC01543.jpg   DSC01544.jpg  

DSC01545.jpg   DSC01547.jpg   DSC01548.jpg   DSC01549.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
DICKEYBIRD

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vederstein View Post
Continuing on with the spindle mount...

The clamp ring is kind of a mini-project in itself given the number of steps it takes to make this thing. Also, I've stated in previous threads: SLITTING SAWS SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!!!

Note the upper screws are far too long. They're just what I have laying around. I'll get the correct length when I get to the hardware store.

Onto the pictures....
Nice work Ved; you're gettin' closer & closer to making CNC routed chips every day! I know what you mean about mini-projects; it seems like every step of my projects lately involves the making (or buying) of a new tool or fixture.

Is that a 3 jaw chuck on your mill? How'd you accomplish that?

I got tired of running to the screw supply house every few weeks a couple years ago so I bought a crap-load of the longest ones of each size that were threaded all the way to the head. I made this thing I call the "Screw Chopper" from a cheap HF angle grinder. I use it all the time & it sure saves gas & time going out for screws!

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #23
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

I have a 2" three jaw Bison chuck. The end is threaded 1/2-20. I made an arbor for it so I can use a 5/8" R-8 collet to mount it. My mill is a round column mill/drill. So sometimes I'm starved for Z-axis clearance. When in a jam I use the chuck. If I just move the head up or down I lose my X and Y positioning.

As for this job, my mill head was a bit too high and I didn't have enough Z-axis to reach the ring centerline so I used the Bison to gain an extra 1-1/2" of Z-axis.

...Ved.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #24
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Continuing on with the router build:

I had come to decision time. It may sound odd, but I had to consider what side is the front.

If you go to the Probotix website, the CNC routers they have for sale (they have dual Y-axis motors like the one I'm building does) have the motors facing the operator. I don't know why they chose this, but it has the advantage of running less length of cable. On the other hand it places the motors in a position where they could get bumped. In my research, the most I've seen have the motors in the same orientation as the Probotix: at the front.

I decided to put my motors on at the rear of the machine. I think this will help keep crud and debris out of the moving components since most of the milling will be done towards the front where it's easier for the operator to access.

So I re-oriented the machine. I also moved the X-axis gantry to gain an extra three inches in Y-Axis travel.

I also think this will make the operator's side less cluttered after I install the electrical connectors and E-stop button.

...Ved.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01550.jpg   DSC01551.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #25
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

After re-orienting the gantry, it was time to install the drag chain.

Again, this was done without any plans, I just placed the chains where it seems logical and went at it, making brackets as I went.

I'm getting excited that I may have this thing running under its own power soon!!!

...Ved.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01552.jpg   DSC01554.jpg   DSC01555.jpg   DSC01556.jpg   DSC01557.jpg  

DSC01558.jpg   DSC01559.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
DICKEYBIRD

Lookin' good Ved; it won't be long now! That drag chain looks great; did you find a reasonably priced source for it? I saw somewhere that a fellow 3d printed his own snap-together links. Must be nice!

Looking at your bridge, can you still add a couple triangulated braces in the Y-direction to reduce flexing on heavy cuts? I guess it would help in the X-direction as well but that'd mean at least 2 extra rail trucks and would reduce the travel.

Anyhoo, make sure & post up some video when the time comes!
peter2uat Likes This 
Old 12-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #27
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Thanks,

The drag chain came from an e-bay store: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322232081490...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hell, most of the components I've had to buy for this project came from ebay.

If necessary, I can add more support, but I want to see how it cuts before putting more weight into this thing. The ball screw slides are quite heavy and at this point, I don't even know how I'm going to get the machine off the saw horses it's sitting on.

So, does anyone know how much deflection is typical for a CNC router? Obviously less is better, but there must be some acceptable level or these things would be 2000# blocks on cast iron.

...Ved.
peter2uat Likes This 
Old 12-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #28
DICKEYBIRD

Great price on the drag chain, thanks for the link!

All you need for a bunch of added rigidity is to put a diagonal aluminum brace between each y-axis vertical member & the cross-beam. Doesn't need to be big & heavy, just enough to do the job. With those big honking steppers, you don't have to worry about a little more weight.
peter2uat Likes This 
Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

Continuing on with the router build....

Cables! Cables! Cables! More Cables!!!!!

I figured out that thus far I've had to make 76 solder connections and I really haven't started the home sensor and E-stop wiring yet.

I partially disassembled the machine to modify a panel through which the electrical connectors are attached. The material is too thick for the connecters, so I added a pocket.

I was able to actually get the thing powered up. I made three wiring mistakes which I corrected at the control box.

I can move the machine in manual mode and it will take G-codes individually, but the BCNC software won't run a proper cutting program. I think it's because BCNC spoon feeds GRBL way too fast. Has anyone had the same issue and know how to fix it?

That's all for now....

...Ved.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01565.jpg   DSC01566.jpg   DSC01564.jpg   DSC01568.jpg   DSC01570.jpg  

DSC01571.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #30
vederstein
Must do dumb things....

I was able to do some initial cuts today. After a little bit of a learning curve and inverting my Y-axis, I present the following video....

I still need to receive switches for the homing sensors and the E-stop. Sometimes shipping just takes a while.

...Ved.

Last edited by vederstein; 12-24-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
People Like This