Project of the Month built by Ghosty
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > CNC x2 Mill

Old 08-27-2016, 12:13 AM   #81
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The end product is as I always tell the Bride - Is how I planned it to be . . .

She just pats my head and says 'Thats a Good Boy'

Old 09-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #82
Foozer

What I thought was a limit switch glitch - Wasn't - Can adjust the switch positions for X travel, hit the switch and reverse direction or set them as actual stop switches and just X travel defined distance [e.g. cutting a slot]

You know that Dir pin on the controller? Boy does the motor like to speak should that wire become loose - This way, That way, No way - - -

Itty Bitty screws and my fat mud hands don't go along so well - thing one never whats to feel is "Hey it's getting easier to turn" So just closed my eyes, bit my tongue, gave all the screws a good twist.

Now to spin my wheels some more and see what I can to stop the pin float should a screw come loose in the future - -

Old 09-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #83
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 566 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Foozer,

I have only just got everything together for my mill conversion, and because there are so many screwed wire joints I have invested (very cheap) in some square shaped variable size crimping pliers and the correct sized ferrules for each wire diameter. This will make sure that no wire strands are weakened or cut and so causing the joints to fail, unless of course you are using single strand wire.
Over the years when I have been using screw terminals with electrical or electronic parts, invariably, some of the strands get sheared off as the screw is tightened and can cause all sorts of problems, mainly because there are not enough good strands left to carry the required amperage. When you are searching for faults, such breakages don't show up on a continuity test as it is passing electricity, but not enough to keep things stable.
I also have a tiny solder pot (again very cheap) where the ends of the wire are first dipped into fluid flux and then into the pot, this again helps prevent the broken wire syndrome.

Hope this helps

John

Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #84
Rndmann9

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Got side tracked by three different things this week - first was to do some freelance drafting for a company that makes fume hoods. Got that done in 13 hours unexpected but welcome 1500 bucks. second I found some nice heavy duty limit switches so I delayed mounting my other ones in a perminant way. Now I need to figure out where and how to mount these. I like them because they are adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #85
Rndmann9

Then I did some gray matter crunching and figured out a way to control my g shield with a usb game controller. Used auto hot key to remap and control many of the functions with it. Still working on it some. It's done but now I am "improving" my program. Direction pad controls x and y trigger left is z down trigger right is z up. "back" unlocks it after alarm or start up. " Start " homes it. "X" resets motor controller "y and b "adjust the jog distance up or down. Left upper trigger holds. Right upper trigger resumes. Clicking right joy stick goes to g28. Clicking right joy stick zeros xyz of active wcs. I'm thinking of making the left joy stick control my mouse and haven't decided on right. Maybe rapid transit. Enough distractions for one week. I have to get those switches mounted even though the hot glued ones work fine for now. I'm using a g shield so I'm not sure how it sends direction to the motor. I'll have to dig into the code. Also got it all mounted a little neater in a semi perm housing.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #86
Rndmann9

Controller mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #87
Rndmann9

And one last upside down pic just because
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #88
Rndmann9

This mounts on the arduino. And uses grbl to control motors. Plus side is its almost plug and play. Down side is your only able to drive about 2A per motor. I had to improvise for a pendant ^ it's not really designed to have one. Game controller mimics a mouse click at specific coordinates of the gui for most of the controls.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #89
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 566 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 49

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...01556_8,search

Old 09-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #90
Foozer

Kid gave me one of those controllers - Way to many buttons for me this day, I'd want to use them all and would get lost in the process.

2 Amp ? flipped the switches on the driver down to 2A - motor - A 425 inoz nema 23 was not happy. It wants 4 amp and that's what I'm giving it - powered by a 48v supply. As Bogs was saying, current matters . . .

Buttons . . . Winters coming - A what the heck project - SNES controller, some keypads - easy enough to tie the keypad to the controller innards- Rather than use 8 or 9 arduino pins, knocks it down to 3, data, clock and latch.

Limit Switch - Little one, big one, big one takes up some real estate, tho its robustness probably makes up for it . . . I just haven't figured out a place to mount them yet . . .