Project of the Month built by deeferdog
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > CNC x2 Mill

Old 08-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #51
Rndmann9

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well after another brief vacation and some minor ADD I got my ball screw mounted and moving. I was having trouble getting it to fit and did a fair amount of grinding on the bottom of the saddle to create some relief. Was going slow so I got fed up this morning and took it over to a machine shop down the road and milled out the area I needed relief. Man I'm jeolous of the old man running the shops toys. I think I made a new friend. Lol. He mounted a mill in his Bridgeport and looked at me and said ok she is all yours. Pretty trusting if you ask me. I don't let anyone near my tools. Told him I might just have to become some free labor on the weekends just to learn more than I already know and maybe gain some access to some tools I can't afford Anywho. Got a few more pieces to put back on and I will be trying to get over this learning curve again. I'm ready for the weather to cool off its hot in the shop and I'm about to get busy coaching soccer for the next three months so I'm hoping to get all the fab-ing done soon.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #52
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndmann9 View Post
. . .. Was going slow so I got fed up this morning and took it over to a machine shop down the road and milled out the area I needed relief.
Times when you hit a little roadblock it's better to hire the earth mover than to try and use a spoon - - - Spoon will frustrate while the earthmover is fun.

Pictures - - when you get a chance. Time now to load a hunk of stock and set up an hour or so of cutting time - Gizmo is bolted to the wall so the bass sound of it runs throughout the house, drives the bride crazy . . .

If you can't have some fun, it ain't worth doing . .

Old 08-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #53
Rndmann9

Ha. I know how that goes. Mine informed me I left my big compressor on and it cycled on this morning and woke her up. That's what she gets for falling asleep on the couch. Lol. I try to get some pics up soon.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #54
Rndmann9

Here is a run down of what I modified to make the ball screw work. Biggest problem was making room so it sat level and not forced into a slight angle along the length. Red is what was either ground (on the ball nut) or milled from the bottom of the saddle to create some space. Ill take some pics of it installed but not sure how much you can see. Only part not shown is the aluminum slug the ball nut was screwed to that basically took the place of the brass acme nut. It just sits in the slot of the saddle to actuate it back and forth and is held in place with a set screw. That part is pretty generic so I am not showing it yet. Ill put a pic together when I get a minute to show how they fit together. No Binding now...so far at least. Seems to be moving smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
Yaxis Ball Screw Mod.jpg   Bottom Side Of Saddle.jpg   End View of what was milled away.PNG   Milled Away Section of Saddle.jpg   Part Ground Away From Ball Nut.PNG  

Old 08-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #55
Rndmann9

Well what the heck while im drawing stuff here is the missing component for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Ball Nut Slug.PNG   Ball Nut with Slug Mounted.jpg   Ball Nut with Slug Mounted Back.jpg  

Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #56
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

You're moving right along - - -

Next advent for me is to take the timing pulleys and such down to the machine shop in town and have some little key-ways broached in. Can cut the slots into the shafts - Broaching? Ah No . .

Little pulleys have little set screws - Little set screws have a negative attitude - Little key-ways have positive attitude - Positive Good, Negative not so much . .

Old 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #57
Nick Hulme

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozer View Post
Broaching? Ah No . .
What you need is a nice little bench-top Adept hand operated shaper ;-)

Old 08-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #58
Rndmann9

Could prob do it with a lathe using the saddle movement and cross slide to control depth and a custom cutter to cut the groove. I've never tried it but I have seen it done that way in a pinch.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #59
Rndmann9

https://youtu.be/HR1pvQYFFck

Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #60
Rndmann9

Finally got out to take some pictures before I put the swarf guards back on.

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg