Project of the Month built by deeferdog
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > CNC x2 Mill

Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #31
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Now your cooking with gas . . .

One thing I am not is a designer, I like to see how others have done things and look for the best practice - - A COC of how I did the X-Axis, put the thrust bearings at the handle side and a bearing on the motor side - Idea was to have the shaft supported by itself and not by the stepper.

Still dink'n with the Y, want to keep the turn handle in place so driving it from the rear of the table is the option, an option that has a few 'Oh Darn' moments of its own going on. Making balsa mock-ups to get an idea of the fit-up . .

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #32
Rndmann9

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Luckily I do 3d Models for construction for a living so I have some pretty sweet software. I added a 10 x 24 x 9 thrust bearing on the motor side of the y mount this morning which is in the gif. The x mount is a little different. Even though I can model this stuff I still like to improvise. Ill update the model later. Actually I prefer to just do it then model it later but that really isnt all that efficient. I dont like to be bound by plans in the shop or real life. lol The Zip file is an animated exploded view of how its put together right now....except for a couple of details on the x side.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Axis Explode.zip (485.1 KB, 76 views)

Old 06-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #33
Rndmann9

Not sure you can see what's going on here but the x turned out pretty simple. The lead had a slot in it so I made a 2.5 inch coupler out of steel. One side has a "blade" the fits into the slot. The other side is a female end with two set screws at 90deg to match the stepper shaft. Works pretty smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #34
Rndmann9

IN the gif the blade side looks threaded. I was going to make a screw on sleeve to keep the two shafts together. Turns out I didn't need it so I never threaded it. Makes it easy to disassemble and the nature of the coupler allows them to flex and not bind if needed.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #35
Rndmann9

Also got the other bearing added before I had to take my wife to the airport
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #36
Foozer

Like that 'Blade' type connection - That's the avenue I am thinking to attach the Y axis drive from the rear - So I let the X-Axis run back and forth for a couple hours, glitch to turn up was the coupling [motor side] started walking loose. Is a compression type coupling so added an 8-32 set screw to tighten down on the motor shaft - Glitch solved -

Long as your taking the bride to the airport, wanna take mine? She's smiling as she always does when she wants something done - Like pick up an Organ she found - - She can't play, she just thinks it looks nice - - -

Old 06-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #37
Rndmann9

Ha. I know that look! Yea my y coupling is slipping,that shaft is much harder to turn always has been. I'm thinking of putting a set screw in it so I can crank it down. Also temped to jump on Amazon and see what I can find on there. The stand offs I had made are a little short with the coupling I have. I can A. Make new ones. Simple but I don't really want to or B. find a coupling that works in the geometry available. It's the rubber piece in the middle that's the problem. I should get some decent shop time in the next few days. My oldest boy and the youngest boy went to grandmas , wife is in Michigan till Tuesday and middle son is glued to the video games and leaves for soccer camp Tuesday. Want get any next week since I'll be on vacation. That is if I can stand the heat. Not too bad after dark especially if I pop the garage door. I made a brass bushing so I could use one of the original hand wheel nuts - don't know if I need it but it's there now. Lol. I might just cheat and make some temporary ones with aluminum tube threaded rod and some nuts until I'm motivated. I just don't feel like turning four post drilling and tapping both ends x 4 today but I want to mess with the machine later....so torn.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #38
Rndmann9

Random side note I discovered a metal supplier in town this week too. Usually I order from online metals but I discovered the metal supermarket which opened under my nose ten months ago. Pretty excited about it because shipping cost put a damper on my orders usually. They apparently opened on my birthday last year so it was meant to be.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #39
Foozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndmann9 View Post
Ha. I know that look! Yea my y coupling is slipping . . .
That coupling is the same I got - Putting a set screw in to bite down on the D-Shaft of the stepper stopped the wandering.

Am now the proud owner of an Organ - - Happy Happy Joy Joy - -
Plan is to downsize next year, get out of this big ol house into something small - Haven't checked the manual but was sure that means 'Don't bring more stuff in . . . . '

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #40
Rndmann9

I'm trying to do the opposite bigger house much bigger yard. Busting at the seams now. And 1/4 acre isn't very conducive to most of my hobbies ( reloading,shooting,anything out side). I hate living in the city. We have a farm 200acres at the beach which is where I'll be all next week, my happy place. If work would let me work from home I'd move there. You should return the favor. My wife " loves " this.

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg