Project of the Month built by deeferdog
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > CNC x2 Mill

Old 06-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #21
Rndmann9

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds/looks like we are about in the same place in this journey. That could be helpful. I'm trying to keep the manual functionality of my mill since I don't want to program something quick and simple like milling a quick flat or slot on something so I am planning to mount my x motor on the left. I got my z axis motor in the mail today so I have been messing around with it and trying to figure out the cam software some more. I have to take my table apart to measure everything so I can model it (I've only gotten the y so far ),I mostly know what I want to do but still a pain. Especially since I still need it here and there. ( wish I had two mills). I want a complete mill model in my inventor program so I can toy with designs and improvements without waste. Kind of a pain. Been thinking about how to do the z axis too. I think I'm going to utilize the fine feed screw on the x2 mill. Has a ton of backlash but I think I can compensate on the software side. Might go into the arduino Code if I can't fix it in the firm ware or cam generator. I don't want to go to ball screws just yet. What kind of mill are you working with. Looks like it's a much bigger table than the x2. Might move on to my lathe if I get this working satisfactory.

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #22
Rndmann9

My y is the same. I was surprised to see it had no bearings at all. I think the x has two thrust bearings but I might find a surprise there too? We will find out real soon. I think both. Acme screws kind of free float after they pass through the nut on mine but my x screw is slotted on one end for a drive. Might come in handy??

Old 06-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #23
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndmann9 View Post
My y is the same. I was surprised to see it had no bearings at all. . . .
Yup no bearings on the shafts - - For the end user to install . .

Same kind of mess to figure out - don't want to just start hacking away at the existing structure - Gonna have to stare at it for a while and see what turns up . . . Fortunately the belt pulley is robust enough that it can be adapted to take some bearing . It's the stepper side - don't really want to load its shaft with the tension load of the belt, so will have to find room to mount a bearing shaft for that . . .

Old 06-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #24
Rndmann9

Well after tearing mine down....first time in about 8 years. X has two 52100 (10mmbore26x11mm)thrust bearings but y has none. I bought a 5200 axial bearing for the y but still not sure I want to use it. Bigger than I thought but I can always use it on something else if I don't use it for this. Almost done modeling.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

Am watching to see what you come up with . . .

Old 06-26-2016, 04:15 AM   #26
Rndmann9

Well got a little more done. Mounted the x axis. I put a 12-24-6.35 thrust bearing on the machine side of the y mount. Prob going to add another to the motor side tomorrow. Prob going to remake this mount but going to run with this version to see what problems I can uncover.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 04:16 AM   #27
Rndmann9

Here is the boring for the machine side
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 04:17 AM   #28
Rndmann9

Little more to go
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 04:18 AM   #29
Rndmann9

And a snug fit
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 AM   #30
Rndmann9

Did bring it to life just to prove to myself it would work. Noticed some binding on the y so I'm going to add another bearing on the motor side. But happy to see it move. Have a video but dot think I can post it.