Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > CNC x2 Mill

Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 AM   #121
Rndmann9

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Day...I don't even know anymore. Trying to figure out this whole post processor thing. Main thing I'm stumped on is dynamic tool offsets. I'm using a grbl.cps post processor but I'm having to modify it to do what I want and so far it's winning the battle. The g code to make the machine do the offset is a simple g43.1. I want it to pull the tool length that I gad to define in cam into the post and compensate for length when I do a tool change. Simple ...no since I'm not up to speed with JavaScript it's a little painful. When I run the code the line that calls the tool (T7 M6 G43.1) is giving an error on the GUI on that line so something isn't jiving with grbl. I noticed that the modal wasn't defined in GRBL.cps so I am adding that in and seeing how it goes. I'm not sure where to place the function in the code so just trying different things hoping something sticks. It's inter-frustrating maybe by the time I get it working like I want I'll be an "expert". It runs my code just will not do the offset so I can make parts especially if I run each process individually requiring setting part zero for every tool change but that's too easy. I'm a glutton for punishment. I want it to do it all. I have some pics of progress and failures to post when I get them together. If anyone is a post processor guru please chime in to this CNC neophyte

Old 11-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #122
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndmann9 View Post
Day...I don't even know anymore.
Oh Boy - Ordered a grbl shield to play with - As I know zero about g-code, by the sound of it, tis a big bite of the apple coming - - -

Old 11-24-2016, 03:38 AM   #123
Rndmann9

Well I'm your man if you have questions on the grbl since that's what I am using to drive my servos and run my gcode. You should check out fusion hsm to generate your code. Only reason I didn't is because I already have inventor and inventor hsm is an add on so wouldn't need to figure out yet another program. They are pretty much the same thing on the cam (hsm) side. Mine is grbl v5. I have been digging through the arduino code to see where I can modify it and or just seeing how it ticks. Me being me am trying to do things a little unorthodox which means steep learning curve but learn more during the process. I picked up a power supply for about 20 bucks off amazon for the grbl servo drivers. The board itself runs from the arduino. I did make a filter shield that sandwiches between the Gshield and the arduino though just to make my limit switches less sensitive to noise. I'm using an uno for the arduino since I have a couple of them. My mega is used on something else and I have a few nanos but they are too small to use the Gshield on. I used ugcs initially and it works out of the box with the Gshield making it all pretty much plug and play. I eventually started using grbl controller bc I like the interface better. I also mapped a game controller to it for a makeshift dongle where I got the pleasure of learning auto hot key which is kind of neat in its on right. The java script I'm learning now is so I can modify and read the post processor for the Gcode which essentially just customizes the code output to play nice with grbl since some Gcode isn't supported by it...yet. On G code...I didn't know any when I started this journey. Now it's fairly easy to see what is / or is supposed to be doing. Tons of info on the net too.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #124
Foozer

Can't be . . . Granddaughters birthday was the day before thanksgiving - She's 9, gave her an Etch-a-Sketch
HMM couple small steppers, control board with a nano and perhaps with a button push a 'Circle'

G00 X3.000 Y2.000 F5
G03 X3.000 Y2.000 I-1.000 J0.000
G01 X3.000 Y2.000
M30

Circle can't be that easy - Can it?

Old 11-29-2016, 02:19 AM   #125
Rndmann9

Ha. You sure you don't have a camera in my house. I was just messing with one of my kids the other day and told the other one....you know, I could make this thing draw by itself. The codes simple. I'm trying to figure out how the post processor tracks what step/tool it's on. I need to make it ignore the first tool since it's a touch off and is at zero already then either subtract or add the tool.bodylength from the other depending on if it's shorter or longer than the original tool. Simple - if I can figure out how to make it know one tool from the other. If it number d them it would be a piece of cake. I'm still poring over the exported parameters trying to find something to use as a marker. I modified the code so it does the offset but now it does it on the first tool too so it's the length of the tool too high at the start and the next is shorter so it's way too high at that point. I'm getting there though.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 AM   #126
Foozer

Quote:
...you know, I could make this thing draw by itself. The codes simple.
"The codes simple" - Famous last words - - Lets see some 99 or so G series codes and I'm on G00, G01, G02 + G03 X-Y only - After my brain explodes I'll step into Z axis

Took me long enough to find where and what to change to compensate for the 2:1 gear reduction

#define DEFAULT_X_STEPS_PER_MM (STEPS_PER_REV*MICROSTEPS/MM_PER_REV)

#define DEFAULT_Y_STEPS_PER_MM ((STEPS_PER_REV*2)*MICROSTEPS/MM_PER_REV) @2:1 for y

I think - - - Lets see, by time spring comes around . . . Who am I kidding - is not easy stuff . . . I better get a couple more Etch-a-Sketches - One or more will be given over to destructive testing

Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 AM   #127
Rndmann9

I made an excel sheet to keep up with all the "maf". That way I can make mods to my settings and not forget what or where I am. Once I get things moving and adjusting like I want I'm going to jump back into that part to see how fast and or smooth I can make it go. Right now I have things moving nice and slow. Got a new toy yesterday to sink money into. Standard m4 looks kinda cute next to it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 11-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #128
Foozer

Quote:
Got a new toy yesterday to sink money into.

Toys - - Last year decided to take up reloading. Have an old Krag 30-40 like to shoot once in a while and some -06 tracer rounds. As she's an old girl kept the load 'bout 10% under what the data chart called for. Have a few others . .

Top girl is my favorite - Had it since I was 10 - - Mossberg 142M - She'll put 3 in the same hole at 100ft. Bottom looks like the Ruger 10-22, She's a Rugar .44 mag Deer Slayer and she kicks like a mule . . .

For show and tell the black powder pistol. She's fun to make noise with. Had to hand over the AR, to easy to convert them over to Rock-n-Roll and the locals had no sense of humor - -

Now back to beating my head against the wall - - Dug up the old laptop to use - it's a windows box and I like Ubuntu, buuut seems most software is windows based and as it is now the odds of breaking something is higher, don't want to break my goto computor . . Windows BLAH - argues with Arduino - not in sync -
Check all the drivers - you know the drill . .

I*f all else fails - - Got a stump out back and some tracer rounds - -

Old 11-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #129
Rndmann9

The 44 is pretty awesome. I have a 10/22 just like it that I've had since I was a kid. I like rugers I have 5 of them. 22,380,9,45, ( built like tanks)and the new one is their new precision rifle in 308. AR is a lowly Colt. Lol. Check the brate. It's pretty high for the g shield. Last time one of my boards did that I had to reflash it with another board. Easy enough but would rather not have to. Been too distracted by everything else to do any reloading lately but it's cooling down and it's time to refill this summers brass...

Old 11-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #130
Foozer

'membering why I don't like windows - Way to much time spent trying to get XP and the Arduino IDE to cooperate. Got a buddy runs a little computer shop - Nice big New York Cheese Cake bribe to go with 'Here, I'm too dumb to fix it, see what you can do . . . '

Couple more toys - Top one single shot 22 kids rifle - Pop got it for me when I was 8, we didn't have much back then but he scrapped it up to have the lyman peep sights put on it. 10-22 looks just like the .44 - High Standard Sport King. an H&R Sportsman [22 cal] -Always leave one chamber empty for the hammer to rest on and my carry toy - Walther PPK - Slide has nicked the top of my hand more than once.

Think I'll go do something useful today, Long as the bride is not around - take the car out, see how the new cam is and smoke the tires a bit . . .