Project of the Month built by deeferdog
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > CNC x2 Mill

Old 09-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #101
Rndmann9

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was going to let my oldest son take the one that's just the engine, apart so he could learn how they tick. When I was his age I didn't ask. I took everything apart to see what made them tick much to my moms dismay. Kids don't have that sense of curiousity anymore. I never lost it. Thank god. My youngest shows promise if he doesn't burn the house down. Obcessed with fire as he should be.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #102
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts

My kids thought they were 'All That' in their younger days, Gave em two sticks and told them to make fire . . .

Had a chain saw that acted like your trimmer, wouldn't start and if it did ran like [c]rap - case had a small crack in it.

This must be Murphys small problem week. First had to road side rescue the bride, car died - - fuel pump fuse blew, easy enough but what made it go? Alt is on the same circuit, little rattle noise coming from engine bay, grab a hunk of rod so can listen to the alt, didn't have to, alt started spitting sparks out the back - Oh Dear I think I found the problem, I say
I've been telling you cars been making funny noises for a week, She says
But you did turn the radio up till the noise went away, I said
Don't need to repeat what she said - - -
Today I get to change the alt, front wheel drive, underneath in the back

Old 09-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #103
Rndmann9

I have taught them to make fire from sticks but they are not patent enough. They still try everyonce in a while since I keep a bow drill out in the garage. Got some new fuel lines so off to changing those. Trimmer is only in its second summer. I think the gas turned on me while I was on vacation. Had a lot of rain here. It worked fine before that. my wife's grand caravan is a peach to work on. Everything is hard to get to. Just changing the plugs requires me to tap my inner contortionist. Next up on hers is the water pump. I think I can reach it through the passenger wheel well. We shall see but that's for another day. Trying to get this done because I have to fly to Nashville Tuesday return Wednesday for work.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #104
Rndmann9

VICTORY. She is running like a champ now. Tore the carb down again and cleaned it for good measure. Worked this time. Guess I'll be doing some trimming tomorrow since I have run out of daylight.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #105
Wizard69

Liked 165 Times on 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rndmann9 View Post
I lied. One more distraction. Fought and so far have lost against my gas trimmer today. Will only run on full choke. So either a jets clogged or air leak right? Nope. Tore down cleaned and reassembled carb. Replaced plug. Fresh gas fresh oil mix. Inspected gas lines. Made sure fuel cap vent wasn't clogged, Cleaned spark arrester ...no dice. Only thing I have not done is replace fuel lines out right. Guess that's on the agenda tomorrow. Stupid things haven't ran right since California's epa hippies ruined everything with their enviro laws. Lol. On the same subject I bought a new gas can. The ones with the green valve mandated by epa to limit fuel spills. So effective that gas will only come out from around the cap nothing from the spout.... It would leak less if I shot holes in it. I had to break the mechanism just to make it work. I think this new environmentally safe model has leaked more fuel in the short time I have had it than all the other ones I have owned combined. No vents so if the sun warms it look out cause it's going to spray everywhere not to mention how it belches fuel in spurts which is very effective at filling a small tank and dousing everything around it. Lol. amazing how the gov can ruin something as simple as a gas can. speaking of vents. I feel better already. Hahaha

The EPA or maybe the CPSC? (The safety people) really have no idea how to make something safer. They just mandate stupidity. I know the gas tanks you speak of and have yet to find one that works at all. I've give retro and use a funnel when the can is full and use care when it is empty enough.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:03 AM   #106
Foozer

And I have "Spark" [bad ground] Lots of Spark [bad ground] 20 degree crank rotation 40K worth of Spark [bad ground] Gotta love that MSD CD blue white mini jacobs ladder Spark - - Did I mention problem was a Bad Ground . .

All in all, not a bad day . . .

Old 09-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #107
Rndmann9

Busy weekend... Fixed two leaf blowers someone gave me had to clean the carb on one and rebuild carb on the other along with new fuel lines and cleaning the fuel tank. Got my limit switches permanently mounted for x and y. And finished my moon light drafting. Throw in a soccer game and visit by mother and grandmother in law....whooo! Now maybe I can start to learn how to work the machine...oh and somewhat cleaned my shop...well at least I can see my bench again. Now for the other 98%. I love a good productive weekend.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #108
Foozer

Company? Cousin Tim from Tenn came by, well ain't my cousin and ain't from Tenn - - Been ages since seen a Dodge 3/4 ton with a slant six, a slant six that was pucking oil. If the pass side motor mount comes loose from the block [which it did] the motor mount will rock on its pivot [which it did] As it rocks it hits the bottom of the fuel pump and of course cracks it open - Oil Oil Oil - To get Cousin Tim to 'Go Home', had to fix his truck for him.

Now your gizmo is going, what ya going to stress test it on?
I got brave and tried a flycutter - Can see how that thing can go very wrong, very quickly if not very careful.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #109
Foozer

You've been quiet lately - Bride got you on the Honey Do List?

Old 10-01-2016, 03:15 AM   #110
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 614 Times on 460 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Goodness me Foozer, a flycutter mounted into a drill chuck, and by the looks of it, with a rather fast feed!!!!

You are asking for the flycutter to be embedded in your forehead.

Drill chucks are only just about secure when drilling downwards, to put any side loads on it is asking for the taper joint between chuck and it's spindle mount to let go and the chuck and flycutter is liable to be bouncing around your shop or yourself.

Please take care.

John