Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > Cast Iron Body Building Weights

Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #21
sssfox

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Thanks petertha, that thread was very informative.

I guess they make it harder to get stuff to Canada to keep out the riffraff.
I've been there several times and the VAT has kept me from spending much money.
Every place I've been there was beautiful, but the summers there are shorter than the winters in Florida.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #22
kf2qd

Liked 41 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post

EDIT: I wonder if anyone has any idea what those foundries producing the really bad ones are likely to be doing wrong for the weights to come out so hard and full of holes, and why it would be cheaper for them to ignore such bad practise?

The foundries are producing cheap barbell weights. Don't need to machinable, just need to be close to the weight. If it says 5 pounds and it weighs 5 pounds, then it is a good one. Were never intended for someone to use a cheap source of quality cast iron. Could be made of anything they can melt and pour, as that is the only real specification that matter, as far as their final performance is concerned.

Kind of like those little things called tolerances that many seem to have a problem with. You can machine everything to within tenths, but most of the time it is totally unnecesary. But when you are doing it at home for a one off, I guess it doesn't matter. But when you do it in production, that "perfect" part will perform no better than a part that is within tolerances, and will cost a tremendous amount more.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 AM   #23
kf2qd

Liked 41 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf2qd View Post
The foundries are producing cheap barbell weights. Don't need to machinable, just need to be close to the weight. If it says 5 pounds and it weighs 5 pounds, then it is a good one. Were never intended for someone to use a cheap source of quality cast iron. Could be made of anything they can melt and pour, as that is the only real specification that matter, as far as their final performance is concerned.

Kind of like those little things called tolerances that many seem to have a problem with. You can machine everything to within tenths, but most of the time it is totally unnecesary. But when you are doing it at home for a one off, I guess it doesn't matter. But when you do it in production, that "perfect" part will perform no better than a part that is within tolerances, and will cost a tremendous amount
more.
That's why I can use that inexpensive dial caliper for much of my work and it come out just fine. And the one diameter that matters, I use my Starrtet mics and telecope guages.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
mcostello

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was not belittleing You hence the smiley, You missed the humor. Speedy Metals is the name of the Company, Google it and the link will be there.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #25
sssfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcostello View Post
You best sharpen up Your Google Foo, ... hardly a customer as I can usually do better than their price, just an example.
I don't think I missed anything.
If you are that good at Google, where can you get a better price, not just an example?

I do love the way people think they can say whatever they want and a smiley negates the negative connotation. When I was a kid, a guy hit me with a baseball bat and then said "it was a joke, can't you take a joke?". It's been more than 50 years and I still don't see the humor.

I'll take it at face value that you didn't mean it.

Oh yeah,

Old 02-27-2016, 01:57 AM   #26
Cogsy

Liked 434 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssfox View Post
I just did a search and found a supplier in Tampa that carries Dura-Bar.
A piece 1-1/2" x 2" x 12" lists for $435.82.
If I could find it for $6 a kilo, I wouldn't be looking at barbell weights.
Am I missing something?
Speedy metals LINK works out to less than $5.50 per kg. Not just an example but a real price (although it is a price for round bar, which is what you'd get from cast weights anyway).

Quote:
Do you often feel the need to belittle people?
If you are THAT good, why wouldn't you give me the link where you get a better price? There, the imoji helps.
The link is above. I just Googled 'Speedy Metals' and went from there. Took mere seconds. Another LINK a product from Amazon at less than $5.00 a kilo.

Quote:
I prefer to buy metals locally when I can. Dura-Bar is a big company. I figured I should be able to pick it up instead of needing to get it shipped.
Then it appears you will need to pay a great deal extra for this, based on the price you quoted, but it's your decision.

Quote:
If I buy mail order without seeing what I buy, how do I know the composition is any better than the bar bell weights?
I freely admit that I am not good telling which type of steel is which. I prefer buying it from a knowledgeable source and don't mind paying a little more for the knowledge. I know even less about cast iron.
So you concede you can not visually identify the material specifics nor, by extension, it's machining properties, yet your argument against ordering online is that you can't inspect it before you buy it so you won't know what it is? Doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I don't think I missed anything.
If you are that good at Google, where can you get a better price, not just an example?
A quick google search of "buy cast iron bar florida" turned up many companies in, and around, your state - and this is on Google Australia. It seems reasonable that you should be able to perform your own Google search and the advice given that you had selected a poor example was a good one.

For some unknown reason you appear to be being overly argumentative and critical of people who are freely trying to help you. I understand we all get a little niggly sometimes and post something in haste but repeatedly trying to belittle another member based upon a supposed slight that was clearly light-hearted is going too far in my opinion.
People Like This 
Old 02-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #27
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 3

From what I can tell, Dura-bar is sold through their list of distributers.
http://www.dura-bar.com/distributors/
About 3 years ago I called the closest place to me which happened to be a Castle Metals wholesaler. As mentioned, I cant recall the price offhand but it didn't strike me as orders of magnitude out of line with comparable CI on $/foot basis. However, they did inflict either or minimum $ order amount or they required the full 10 foot? full stick be purchased (would not cut). So I passed. Ordering 1-footers in diameters I required from Speedy was a better option even with the UPS dinger fees. All I can say is Speedy Class 40 grey machined nice & other builders better than me have made their rings & liners from it. So I personally have no interest in pursuing Durabar. Curiously, I cannot find a Durabar price list on-line.

McMaster Carr is another CI supplier you lucky Americans can shop from.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#casters/=11atebx
They call theirs 'easy to machine' cast iron & I believe someone, somewhere has correlated the ingredients as being 'quite close' to Dura-bar or possibly was/re-labelled? as evidenced by enclosed spec sheet (not sure there). But as can be seen, the price/weight is in-line with Speedy & others but they offer lots of dimensions, rods, rectangular, even blanks like what could be used for faceplates & such. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
sssfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsy View Post
Speedy metals LINK works out to less than $5.50 per kg. Not just an example but a real price (although it is a price for round bar, which is what you'd get from cast weights anyway).

The link is above. I just Googled 'Speedy Metals' and went from there. Took mere seconds. Another LINK a product from Amazon at less than $5.00 a kilo.

Then it appears you will need to pay a great deal extra for this, based on the price you quoted, but it's your decision.

So you concede you can not visually identify the material specifics nor, by extension, it's machining properties, yet your argument against ordering online is that you can't inspect it before you buy it so you won't know what it is? Doesn't make sense.

A quick google search of "buy cast iron bar florida" turned up many companies in, and around, your state - and this is on Google Australia. It seems reasonable that you should be able to perform your own Google search and the advice given that you had selected a poor example was a good one.

For some unknown reason you appear to be being overly argumentative and critical of people who are freely trying to help you. I understand we all get a little niggly sometimes and post something in haste but repeatedly trying to belittle another member based upon a supposed slight that was clearly light-hearted is going too far in my opinion.
Cogsy,
I'm completely baffled by your reply.
I DO know how to search on Google.
What set me off was mcostello insulting me and then putting an emoji next to it like that makes it OK. I always appreciate help, but why do people feel the need to insult someone in the process? Maybe your definition of lighthearted and mine are different. Just for the record so there will be no misunderstanding, IN MY OPINION, an insult followed by an emoji is still an insult and there is no call for it. It is a form of bullying and adds nothing to the discussion.

mcostello then gave me a link followed by the statement that this is only an example, not where he would buy it. If he would buy it someplace else, why wouldn't he give me the link to it? If he would've stopped after the link, I would've not had an issue. I only asked him for it again because he didn't supply it after the first request.

I went back and reread my posts and didn't see anything that I would consider argumentative. I responded to his entry and he clearly misunderstood my response, so I clarified. If you or anyone else took that as argumentative, I apologize.

The link you supplied on Amazon may have a better price, but the shipping is more than the actual item. I know you are used to that in Australia, but I'm not used to it here in the US. I guess I'm spoiled.

I have spent MANY hours searching using terms similar to "cast iron bars", "cast iron rough stock", "Florida cast iron bars" and you are correct, there is no shortage of hits, however, few of them are worthwhile and none have what I'm looking for. I get several that end up at the same or a similar place, with the same prices I found earlier and the list rapidly goes to cast iron skillets. All I can figure is all of the cast iron comes from Dura-Bar and all of the companies sell it for the same price. If you can do a Google search and find a company in the Tampa Bay area or anywhere in Florida for that matter, that has cast iron bars around $6/kilogram, I will be eternally grateful AND I will admit that my Google searching is poor. I'll even buy you a beer the next time you are in town.

I prefer to buy local exactly because I don't know the properties of the materials I am buying. Have you never purchased anything online and when it arrived, it was completely different from the description? I don't mind taking a chance with inexpensive items, but I have to weigh the cost against the possibility that the item won't be usable for the intended purpose. The more expensive the item, the harder it is to justify.

In the past, when I have purchased stock locally, most times, I have found a knowledgeable sales person that knew what they were selling and could answer my questions. I don't mind paying for that, but I guess it is part of the past, now. I also like to support small, local business when I can.

I have purchased from Speedy Metals in the past, but never cast iron. With brass, bronze and aluminum, I have never had any problems, no matter where I bought it. If you go back and look at the original discussion in this thread, it is obvious that there is a problem determining the quality of cast iron. If you reread the entire thread, only one person, petertha, said where they bought cast iron and was happy with it. Based on that and my past experience, I placed an order with Speedy Metals. I had to text them to get it shipped in a flat rate box, but I was successful and it cut the shipping from $27 to $18.75. Any of you who order from them may want to try that. It isn't a choice on their website. The total was $122 and change and included most everything I need to build a two cylinder Corliss.

I really don't want to buy recast barbell weights. That is all I am trying to accomplish, the rest of this thread is just a distraction.

I do have to ask, Cogsy, what were you trying to accomplish with your post?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #29
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
All I can figure is all of the cast iron comes from Dura-Bar and all of the companies sell it for the same price.
I don't know for 100%, but I'm going to guess this assumption is not the case. I think what Speedy & others are selling is 'equivalent' or 'similar' to Durabar, but not necessarily from Durabar. And I only base this on what others have described on forums correlating some metallurgy specs. For all we know McMaster round CI rod may come from foundry X and flat bar from foundry Y, or Durabar. Most of the mini retailers are 'cut & reship' so they are constantly sourcing from wherever.

In both my recent Speedy & Onlinemetals.com orders, they also package the full spec sheet wad for every item purchased. So my 6061-T6 aluminum comes with an Alcoa sheet with full metallurgy & tempering specs. 1018 steel comes from... you get the idea. So I would think they could provide you this same information in advance with an inquiry. Or in any event you will know what you have when the stick arrives. I will have to look at my CI sheet to see what it says.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #30
mcostello

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

First off I did not mean to insult You, I am sorry that came out that way. The reason it was an example was that a local supplier I usually use can many times beat online prices by a good bit, that's why I don't usually use Speedy Metals or Online metals.