Project of the Month built by Stefan-K
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Cam Grinder on The Go

Old 02-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Brian-in-Oz
Retired Swarf Maker

Liked 109 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Cam Grinder on The Go

Hi all,
After completion of the Forest Edwards Radial I decided to have a go at building a cam grinder with future engine (s) in mind other than a radial. Radial engine cams can be machined on a mill.
I am not far into the project and so far have almost competed a headstock that incorporates a fully indexable (through 360deg.) chuck.
In the near future I will post some photo's that will hopefully give a better idea of where I am at.
This will probably be a bit of a slow build as I currently have a few other things on the go but nowhere near as complex as the Edwards.

Cheers all - stay tuned

People Like This 
Old 02-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
michael-au
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 285 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Will follow with interest

Michael

billscaramu Likes This 
Old 02-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
billscaramu

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is a item I also would like to build. I will be following.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
ICEpeter

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Hello Brian-in-Oz,
I was wondering which system you intend to use in the cam grinder you plan to build. Is it based on a master cam / swing frame cam grinder? If so, there is an excellent thread on HMEM by Joachim Steinke documenting his cam grinder: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....ad.php?t=10361

I took the liberty and copied Achims concept and build my own cam grinder based on Achims work. See attached pictures. Have some dimensional drawings / sketches available if there is interest and am willing to post them. Unfortunately, they are not CAD but drawn in pencil but cover most aspects and details of my build.

Peter J.
Attached Thumbnails
Cam grinder 005 (800x600).jpg   Cam grinder 006 (800x600).jpg   Cam grinder 007 (800x600).jpg   Cam grinder 008 (800x600).jpg   Cam grinder 009 (800x600).jpg  

Cam grinder 010 (800x600).jpg   Cam grinder 011 (800x600).jpg   Cam grinder 012 (600x800).jpg  
People Like This 
Old 02-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IcePeter - yes, please! I for sure would like to read whatever you care to share. that looks like quite the machine. Just curious right off the bat, what kind of motor/grinding wheel rpm did you select? And is the X,Y positioning table re-purposed or also made? I'll save the other questions for your new post

Old 02-08-2016, 01:56 AM   #6
Hopper

Liked 106 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Beautiful work indeed. I too would be interested in any more info and drawings you can post. I am looking at making something slightly larger to grind cams for vintage motorbikes on and this look like exactly what I need.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:27 AM   #7
michael-au
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEpeter View Post
Hello Brian-in-Oz,
I was wondering which system you intend to use in the cam grinder you plan to build. Is it based on a master cam / swing frame cam grinder? If so, there is an excellent thread on HMEM by Joachim Steinke documenting his cam grinder: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....ad.php?t=10361

I took the liberty and copied Achims concept and build my own cam grinder based on Achims work. See attached pictures. Have some dimensional drawings / sketches available if there is interest and am willing to post them. Unfortunately, they are not CAD but drawn in pencil but cover most aspects and details of my build.

Peter J.

Hi PETER
Your cam grinder looks very good well made, I would be interested in seeing any draws you have, if you want to share them with others

Thank you
Michael

Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #8
michael-au
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

I will also follow this cam log as well, can always learn things by seeing how other people do it

Michael
Brian-in-Oz Likes This 
Old 02-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Brian-in-Oz
Retired Swarf Maker

Liked 109 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Some photo's in the next few days

Peter that cam grinder is a thing of beauty and lovely workmanship and design.
I think it should be called the Quorn of cam grinders.
Thank you for the offer of some drawings but I am far enough into making some parts that I am more or less committed to the design I have in my head.
The headstock is completed apart from engraving degrees for the indexable chuck. Once that is complete I can assemble the parts and press the bearings home and and fix the headstock to the bed. The tailstock will be next.
I will take photo's before and after assembly.
The design I have in mind is a master cam with the grinder attached to a swing frame and 4 to 1 size reduction. My aim is to keep the design as simple as possible within design constraints but with close tolerance fit of all moving and sliding parts. I have built a tool post grinder so have a bit of experience with some aspects of the design but I am a bit of a slow worker as my trade was storekeeper not a toolmaker or fitter and turner but have learned a lot from making the Edwards Radial.

Promise some photo's soon - Cheers all - Brian

Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
ICEpeter

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Petertha,
My cam grinder comprises two separate components. One is the actual grinder which I build before the cam grinder and it is a support grinder intended for use on my Myford S7 big bore lathe. Originally, I planned to use the support grinder on the lathe to grind crankshafts for the model engines I am building. The support grinder uses dia. 5 inch wheels, either aluminum oxide or CBN wheels both with a dia. 1/2 inch spindle bore. The support grinder uses a Sherline spindle in combination with a Sherline speed adjustable DC motor. The maximum speed is 10,000 RPM which I never use. I run the aluminum oxide wheels at around 4.500 to 5,000 RPM max. and the CBN wheels at around 7,000 RPM. I took my chances with the Sherline motor not knowing what torque to expect but in actual use and considering the amount of grinding depth per pass (less than 1/2 thou) the motor does not slow noticeably in use. When I go for 1 thou depth at roughing the motor slows a bit but does not stop.

The X / Y cross table was purchased from ENCO as a damaged unit and re-worked considerably. Squared up the slide ways / milled slide ways parallel / added new gib strips / put new 2.0 MM pitch spindles in / new spindle nuts designed to be play adjustable / ball bearings for spindles / new housings for spindle bearings / new 200 division dials with 0.01 (1/2 thou) graduation.

Peter J.

H. K. Barrows Likes This