Project of the Month built by Ghosty
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > HMEM Forum Support & Suggestions > Psychological and Philosphical aspects of Model Making

Old 07-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
xrad

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Default Psychological and Philosphical aspects of Model Making

Hello Everyone!

I thought I would post a few thoughts about model making. I believe that what I experience is similar to what others experience.

Model making through the art of machining or other methods is a journey. It requires some form of conception, planning, and implementation. These are the challenges and what is ultimately the 'journey.'

Not all of us are successful in all aspects of this journey. But when we do finish a project, there is certainly a feeling of success. There is something to be proud of in the accomplishment as well as the work product. The 'art' becomes the 'experience' and the 'experience' becomes the 'art.'

When you stare at your completed project and selfishly enjoy all the little nuances of a certain part or the method of its creation, you will experience a self satisfaction, a moment of genius, a transcendent moment that only the creator of such art can feel. No one else can actually understand or really experience this. It is your own.

In my younger years, I climbed mountains. In my middle years I build small things with my mind and hands. These life journeys could not be more different outwardly, but internally, they are nearly the same. The enjoyment I experience in the end and for many years to come is through overcoming the challenges of the experience and remembering the journey.

I hope you all get the same enjoyment for your builds.

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
gbritnell
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 503 Times on 516 Posts

xrad,
I agree with what you say but if I might add just a bit more to your vision.
It's true my enjoyment of model making is the self satisfaction of the completion of the project and the sometimes many processes that go into it's completion but more than that is the enjoyment of sharing it with others.
If there were no 'others' to share it with then it would turn into more of an exercise of just machining. To be able to interact with others that have a like compassion is very rewarding to me.
gbritnell

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
barnesrickw

Liked 124 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't afford the equipment to build full size steam engines 😁

Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Swifty

Liked 813 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I try to explain to my wife that my machining is therapeutic, I enjoy it immensely, unfortunately my wife can't quite understand. There are times when I am tired and just need to have a rest, but the rest of the time I need to be doing something, and the workshop is my therapy centre. I can turn a piece of material into something else, and if all these parts go together to make something that moves, all the better. It stimulates my brain, keeps my hands moving, gives me something to look forward to. Posting on this forum is another enjoyment for me, I like to share what I do, and although I don't do it to get praise, I'm always happy to see others enjoy my posts.

I'm no good at painting pictures or freehand drawing, can't play any musical instruments, although I have great admiration for those that can. I did quite a lot of woodwork in the past, but how many tables etc can you use. Seeing that my working life was spent as a toolmaker, it's only natural that I put this knowledge to use as a hobby.

Everyone needs a hobby or interest to help them relax and give them something to do, too many have retired and end up with nothing to do all day, for me, there are not enough hours in the day to do the things that I want. Although my wife has no hobbies, she does belong to several social groups and a gym, this is her way of keeping busy and in touch with others.

Paul.
People Like This 
Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
xrad

Great points. I do get extra satisfaction showing my work to others, but few recognize the effort involved, and even fewer are critical. Even negative/educational comments are enjoyed to some degree (because at least someone is looking at my stuff!) That's why I joined this site!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #6
bazmak
BAZMAK

Liked 629 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 556

With regard to your post above Swifty .Everything you posted is also applicable to me
My wife tolerates my shed working but i can tell she only accepts it.Any excuse to get me out.Fortunenately i have other interests and only do what i want to do at any time.I have got past the stage of total immersion in one thing
Keeps me happy.In any one day it could be 2 hrs shed,2 hrs computer,
2 hrs reading,gardening,walking the dog etc etc.Depends on me,my wife and the weather. Regards barry

Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Swifty

Liked 813 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Hi Barry, you have to spread your time to keep everyone happy. Probably once a week, if it's a nice day, my wife and I head out in the car for a drive in the country, we have a stove packed and utentials for a cup of tea and BBQ lunch. I'm very lucky that my wife and I have common interests as well as individual ones. Other days we may go out for a nice coffee or have lunch with friends. My usual routine in the morning is to go for a 40 minute walk, often my wife will leave to go to the gym while I'm out walking. I may then spend a couple of hours doing odd jobs around the house and then get busy with some machining. It's about then that my wife comes home, I don't think that she believes me when I tell her that I've only been working on my model engine for 10 minutes. I occasionally get out in the garage after dinner if my wife is watching some show that I have no interest in. Still, I'm in no rush to get things done, it will always be there tomorrow.

Paul.
Gerhardvienna Likes This 
Old 07-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Gerhardvienna
Gerhardvienna

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hi Paul
The "womens acceptance factor" ("WAF") is most mportant for me, if Im not in the shop, I do some work on the screen, help my longtime partner Sabina with homeworks, we too spend some time with common friends, and do many other things together. We both are good cooks, and while Sabina is watching TV, I`ve got time enough to do real work in the shop. She is well interested in the things I do on the lathe and milling machinery, and I know what I can do for her interests. That way things work great for the last 25+ years, never boring and every day in good mood!
Regards
Gerhard & Sabina
Swifty Likes This 
Old 07-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
tornitore45

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I get a lot of satisfaction in the shop when things go well, a lot of frustration when thing foul up. I have only one to blame. Lots of envy for the folks that do stuff at much higher level. but that works as drive.
My wife does beginner wood turning and appreciate the help and the opportunity to swipe some tooling or get me to make some for her. That cleptomaniac habit lead to the expense of converting a fully enclosed patio into her shop. She has no idea of what I do in the shop except when sees the final product, she is very interested in what I do or at least put up a good face. Once in a while pause in the shop loos around and says: Sure there are a lot of new tools here. I say "No just rearranging for better access". Retired life is good.
Swifty Likes This 
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
xrad

You guys are lucky! If she could , my wife would take a backhoe through my workshop.

gus Likes This