Project of the Month built by TonyM

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Team Builds > Team CAD build engine poll

View Poll Results: What team CAD engine
Simple 4 stroke IC engine 2 25.00%
Simple steam engine 2 25.00%
Model A 4 cylinder engine 2 25.00%
V8 engine 1 12.50%
Multii cylinder steam engine 1 12.50%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Dave Sohlstrom

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would you mind sharing your SW part files with me. I have SW 2014 and would like to study how you are going about things. PM being sent.

Dave

PS We have a daughter and a son in Kent.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat32 View Post
As it is turning out the 3D printing methods that can print this block are very limited. Impossible to do this with a filament printer even at 1/4 scale.

I'm investigating what printer can and hoping would be under $50,000.

Flat32
I am fairly certain I could print it, although I do quesition how well I could cast it. Im not sure if my cad program will let me make many changes to the assembly, thats why I asked it to be split. Maybe I could do something with it as an stl file but that would be pretty limited as well. I would still like a look at the file to see if it would be possible (one way or another) but my cad skills and cad program arent exactly top notch...
Here is a SBC I printed out from grabcad.com It didnt come out too bad, but not well enough for me to waste the time and money on casting. If I could split up the file to get a slightly better print then I would cast it.
things like removing the cylinder liners and head bolt holes would make it more printer and casting friendly....

Block was printed with the pan rail down and is complete with cylinder sleeves, cooling passages, and oil galleys. Printed on an extrusion based machine (Rostock max)

Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #13
aonemarine

Another option would be machining pieces from wax then building the assembly in wax for casting.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:26 AM   #14
Flat32

Likes Given: 7

I'm a fanatic for detail resolution. Filament just can't satisfy my need.

Looking at an Objet30 Pro which will have to print my parts before I buy.

Shapeways took three tries before they got my last part done and shipped.

Didn't receive it yet.

Flat32

Old 05-19-2015, 02:07 AM   #15
Dave Sohlstrom

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not an IC engine but here is a video of the first run of the W T Preston that mike Jones (hookpilot) over at RC groups scale boats forum built and I designed and built the engines. I have some small details to go.

Dave

https://youtu.be/mdYq6gO8QZY

Last edited by Dave Sohlstrom; 05-19-2015 at 04:19 AM.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:16 AM   #16
aonemarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat32 View Post
I'm a fanatic for detail resolution. Filament just can't satisfy my need.

Looking at an Objet30 Pro which will have to print my parts before I buy.

Shapeways took three tries before they got my last part done and shipped.

Didn't receive it yet.

Flat32

And how much resolution does a casting need?? Good luck with whatever it is you are looking for.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #17
Flat32

I'll make metal castings using plaster cores made in core boxes that are cast from 3D printed patterns which will have some relatively deep ribs in places. Detail can suffer with the multiple steps as well as dimensional accuracy.

The actual block has many walls at a nominal .180" thickness and the exhaust ports go through the water jackets. I couldn't tell from the pic, but it appears the green block doesn't have water jackets.

I will be making fine scale models in printed plastic that shouldn't require any hand finishing of surfaces.

I will be making transparent plastic models and transparency is directly related to surface finish inside and out. I want to be able to see the internal ports through external water jacket walls which will be .030 thick.

Shapeways took three tries on a very sophisticated printer to get my last part done.

I have a Solidscape Modelmaker 2 that was designed for printing wax models for jewelry and dental crown use. I have to get it running to see if it can print a 1/4 scale block, but it's doubtful the investment plaster would survive burnout.

Flat32

Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #18
aonemarine

Quote:
I couldn't tell from the pic, but it appears the green block doesn't have water jackets.
Quote:
Block was printed with the pan rail down and is complete with cylinder sleeves, cooling passages, and oil galleys. Printed on an extrusion based machine (Rostock max)

Quote:
but it's doubtful the investment plaster would survive burnout.
Why is that? I directly investment cast pla plastic from extrusion based printers all the time and have good luck doing it. Ive also investment cast plastic parts from sls nylon that works out very well also. The small cores for the exhaust ports could prove challanging using plastic patterns as the thermal expansion is quite high and may break the cores, but in wax it really should not be much of a challenge at all. One thing to keep in mind, you would be making a casting not a finished part. So adding material to areas that would be machined back down to tolerance needs to be considered.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #19
Flat32

OK Aonemarine. Email me your email address and I'll set a shared Dropbox and put some files in it.

Do you do vacuum assisted casting?

Flat32

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 PM   #20
aonemarine

Yes, i use vacuum assist and wow what a difference it makes i used to just do straight gravity pours. They work out ok with heavy materials like bronze, but aluminum really suffered. Using vacuum assist has been the biggest improvement with the surface finish of the castings.