Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Team Builds > Team CAD build engine poll

View Poll Results: What team CAD engine
Simple 4 stroke IC engine 2 25.00%
Simple steam engine 2 25.00%
Model A 4 cylinder engine 2 25.00%
V8 engine 1 12.50%
Multii cylinder steam engine 1 12.50%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Dave Sohlstrom

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Team CAD build engine poll

Lets take a poll of what engine we would like to convert from 2D drawings to 3D CAD parts and assemblies.

People have said that this or that engine is too complex. It is sort of like eating an elephant you just do it one bite at a time.

Most of the parts that make up an engine are very simple. There are just a couple that require working out how the part can be modeled. The block and head or heads are a couple that I can think of.

If you vote for "Other" please give an example.

Dave

Flat32 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #2
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Great idea with the poll. Keep in mind, each person is only going to be modeling a part or two not the whole thing. Then the combined efforts go into an assembly.

If the A engine is picked i have one here for reference or pictures. Its assembled and in the car running, so no shots of the internals. But i do have a couple of extra rods laying around. Also have a load of 8ba flattys disassembled.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #3
Dave Sohlstrom

The other thing to remember is there are not that many parts to an engine just multiples of most of the parts.
So model 1 piston, 1 con rod, 1 wrest pin etc.

Dave

Old 05-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Flat32

Likes Given: 7

Default Flathead Ford

I recently completed in Solidworks the engine block true to Ford blueprints. Having 3D prints made by Shapeways scaled to 16% in acrylic. 1946 to 1948 59 block.

Found out they offer different materials including brass and bronze. I thought it would be in some kind of faux material simulating the real metal, but it turns out they print in investment wax and cast the part. Quite expensive, but there's no other way to get a true to scale block that could be used to make a running engine. 1/4 scale would be a logical choice. With some details deviating from true scale 1/5 could be possible.

I've been a toolmaker, but "discovered" CNC and make parts for my full sized Flathead, patterns, core boxes, castings and finished intake manifolds and heads.

I am not a model engine builder, too old to become one, but would be willing to share my CAD files with a serious builder willing to tackle a true scale Flathead.

Flat32

Old 05-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Dave Sohlstrom

Flat32

I clicked on the render you attached here and got forwarded to your photobucket. Looked at more pictures of the CAD models very impressive work. I would not even want to know what Shapways would charge for a bronze casting of the block in 1/4 scale. I have a friend in England that does lost wax castings for model locomotives and when talking to him once he was saying that there is an investment tht will handle the temps of cast iron.
I don't know if the block could be cast using ceramic shell with how small the water passages are.

I would be interested in getting a SLDPRT file of just the block that I could open in SW just to see what you had to go through to model it.

I am taking paper drawings of a holt 75 engine and converting to CAD. Finding several errors in the paper drawings.

Dave

Old 05-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
Flat32

I'm in Federal Way Washington, retired and always home so if you're ever up my way you're welcome to stop by my place.

I'm going to make a set of core boxes to make cores the way Ford did and attempt to cast the block in some low temp metal. I was surprised at how thin bronze can be cast, but don't have any investment casting experience. Making cores and molds, external cores essentially, bypasses the wax investment entirely.

Flat32

Old 05-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Flat 32, could you slice the block in half thru the mains and send it to me? I would like to try printing it out and then investment casting it using the lost pla method, or maybe lost wax if I can get it to print ok in the machinable wax filament.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Flat32

As it is turning out the 3D printing methods that can print this block are very limited. Impossible to do this with a filament printer even at 1/4 scale.

I'm investigating what printer can and hoping would be under $50,000.

Flat32

Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
Dave Sohlstrom

Depending on the size of the wax. Have you upload a STL file to shapeways to see if they can print it for you. They do print in wax but the bounding box size is limited.

Dave

Old 05-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
Flat32

Dave, the block is not one file, but nine or ten. Split up because my Solidworks 2005 becomes painfully slow when the file gets around 40MB. Even split up the complexities of the part make the design tree cumbersome. I even have difficulty keeping track of how I created the files.

Flat32