Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > LSx Engine w/ 1" bore

Old 04-09-2015, 02:59 AM   #21
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmellon View Post
With vapor polishing - How does that affect dimensional tolerance? Do parts shrink or warp?
They seem to expand slitely to me, cant say I ever measured them before and after though.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 AM   #22
aonemarine

AH HA Found what you need to see...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....ad.php?t=19073

Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #23
bigmellon

Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Really cool project! Great links. Thank you. This makes me want more side projects just to play with casting methods!!

I am looking around for a decent source for vacuum assist casting materials. You seem to have a lot of equipment. Did you make it, or is there a webstore you might recommend? My searches seem to always push me into the big dollar vacuum casting machines and automated processes.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #24
aonemarine

Riogrande.com or contenti.com
Pretty easy to fabricate most of what you need, but easier to buy some things like the vaccum flasks.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #25
bigmellon

Cool! I will check them out. I like the detail I am seeing and the surface finish of the castings.

I was originally thinking about making my mold with core sand sort of like the following:
https://youtu.be/yXVLbzI3xTE

Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #26
bigmellon

I am looking forward to the NAMES exhibit this weekend! Not sure whom is going, but I am excited that it is here

I believe I am settling in on the LS7 engine rather than specifically the LSx block. Not only is the LSx block cast iron, but it supports 6 head bolts per hole which would be difficult in the small scale I am working with. The LS7 is an aluminum block, o-ring cylinder liners, and 4 bolt heads. It's kind of gorgeous too.

My shorter term goals are to make the heads and a block... Crank, cam, and accessories thereafter. Not sure if anyone would be interested, but it seems that it might be fun to make a handful of blocks. Maybe some guys would get a kick out of working on some of the other pieces? PM me if this is up your alley.
jamestat2 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #27
barnesrickw

Liked 124 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's just that easy. Cool video.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #28
dnalot
Project of the Month Winner !!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 414 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
The regular white silica sand that was used is too large of a grain to really get the surface finish right on the parts
What you want is Olivine sand. It is very fine and makes very nice cores. It also works great for filling tubing before bending. I bought my bag from a pottery supply co in Seattle.

Mark T
bigmellon Likes This 
Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #29
bigmellon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalot View Post
What you want is Olivine sand. It is very fine and makes very nice cores. It also works great for filling tubing before bending. I bought my bag from a pottery supply co in Seattle.

Mark T
AWESOME! Thanks for the pointer. I will go pick some up.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #30
jamestat2

Went to NAMES yesterday! My buddy and I where blown away by the talent displayed there! 5 feet in the door and my camera was clicking away! Spoke with Ron Colonna for a while! Didn't even know who he was until I got back home and started looking up some things and saw his picture.

This is a nice project your working on. I will be watching with great interest!

I am currently working on building my first cnc machine. It will be a "VERY" rigid 5 axis cnc router with a lathe type attachment in the bed that will be removable. I am making it sturdy enough to machine aluminum. It is going to have a 16 inch "Y" axis so I can do larger deeper projects.

Started out wanting to do foam a 34 coupe body for covering in fiberglass then thought "Why not make it really rigid!" that way I could use it to do larger aluminum projects like model engine blocks and such. So here I go making it heavier duty! LOL!

Anyhow. Wish you luck.