Project of the Month built by dnalot
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > LSx Engine w/ 1" bore

Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #11
bigmellon

Liked 27 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am thinking that my goal will be to be able to duplicate the following pictures in miniature for display purposes. I really like the idea of laying out all of the parts, but that is likely to be knocked off onto the floor and lost! I really want to be able to have a mini "crate engine" for display, possibly with cutaway to show it operating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1204tr-01+turn-key-engine-supply-ls7+block.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	76327

Name:	7baAPP01.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	76328

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2015, 02:20 AM   #12
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 922 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmellon View Post
I am thinking that my goal will be to be able to duplicate the following pictures in miniature for display purposes. I really like the idea of laying out all of the parts, but that is likely to be knocked off onto the floor and lost! I really want to be able to have a mini "crate engine" for display, possibly with cutaway to show it operating.
There have been folks in the past that wire parts onto flat boards and create some real nice displays. No worries about parts dropping.

Look at the way Mr Luhrs displayed his radial and inline 4.
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/luhrs.htm

bigmellon Likes This 
Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
bigmellon

Steve - Thanks for the link! I think I have come across his work in the past. That is definitely a great option! So much detail there... Great reference.

I was thinking about different casting methods over the weekend. Would you guys say that most home model engine guys would investment cast (lost wax) parts if they are not machining from bar stock? I have seen a few "kits" available online that look like unmachined castings with a set of drawings.

I am thinking of trying my hand at casting the cylinder heads with a functional water passage inside the heads. Having small complex cores tends to make me want to play with sand casting rather than investment castings... Any feedback you guys have would be much appreciated. I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

I think my goal would be to cast the net shape and then machine & drill the casting to print. I believe the finished product will look very similar to the stock engine parts in terms of surface finish.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #14
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You could try doing it as a lost pla casting from a printed part. But the internal passages scare me a bit with this process. Its likely for the investment to fail, but you never know it might work out fine.
Lost wax is certainly a better solution. You could make up molds for the cores and shoot them in dissolvable wax and place them in a master mold to be injected with wax to form the head as one piece, or split the head into two haves to be joined. Would be a cool project for sure..

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
bigmellon

I was playing around with some casting supplies and molds that I made recently. The molds are printed on the Makerbot... I wanted to try a new technique I have been thinking about.

I have been looking at the 3D sand printers online quite a bit. It is amazing how the hardened sand blocks fit together snugly and they are able to get very good looking castings from their process.

https://youtu.be/Z8MaVaqNr3U

So, I thought maybe I could duplicate this with a "mold for a mold" that I could fill with hardening core sand and then glue the two pieces together to make a mold. Heck, that could even work for low volume production needs

Name:	IMG_4128.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	76404

Close, but no ceeegar. The regular white silica sand that was used is too large of a grain to really get the surface finish right on the parts. I think the sides of my mold having lines from the makerbot made it a bit tougher to pop out the hardened sand block (even with 5 degree tapers).

I also packed in some green sand (yes, I know it's brown) and the surface finish was excellent. This was really just to see what it was like... and compare the two options. Obviously, the green sand was not able to be handled, but the hardened core molds were.

Name:	IMG_4129.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	76405

I may look for a finer grit of sand and try the core mold process yet again. Any input from he group would be appreciated... I know a lot of you have more experience with casting than I do.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #16
aonemarine

You could try some of the wax filament from machinablewax.com and see how it works out for you. Bit of a learning curve to print with but pretty cool stuff. Ive also printed abs molds, vapor polished, and shot wax directly into them. You need to put them in the freezer for a bit so the wax releases from the abs more easily.
Im not much into sand casting, but if you can track down the videos on YOUTUBE by Nick Muller? Hes done some pretty trick sand casting of small parts with vaccum assist that would be right up your alley.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:12 AM   #17
bigmellon

Thanks for the pointers! I am off to Youtube to check into that!!

Also, please explain vapor polishing. How exactly would you do that not he ABS parts? Sanding seems to take forever!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:21 AM   #18
aonemarine

Just sit your abs part in a crock pot or something with some acetone and warm it up. In a few minutes you will have nice shiney abs without print lines. You just want the abs part to come in contact with the vapors, not the liquid.
Check out lost pla casting on yt while your out there....chances are you find me. Lol
bigmellon Likes This 
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 AM   #19
bigmellon

Is this the video you were talking about?

https://youtu.be/QijGV2G26JI

Great concept for thin walled features. I assume the vacuum assist helps pull the aluminum through the thin cross sections. I guess the assist comes from the fact that it is still being gravity poured, but needs help because of the thin walls.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #20
bigmellon

With vapor polishing - How does that affect dimensional tolerance? Do parts shrink or warp?