Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Team Builds > Toronto Team build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #41
xs4all
 
xs4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 52
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoBuilder View Post
My brother and I are each building SandyC's 3" vertical boiler so a small steam engine to run with that would be a nice choice in my opinion.

Or a Tiny IC engine...
let's have a look at this sandy boiler. perhaps i could help. i guess you'll need a steam engine to run if you're building a boiler.

perhaps a steam engine would be a could project?


xs4all is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #42
TorontoBuilder
John
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
TorontoBuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 337
Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs4all View Post
let's have a look at this sandy boiler. perhaps i could help. i guess you'll need a steam engine to run if you're building a boiler.

perhaps a steam engine would be a could project?
Yep... a steam engine wud be good. Im pretty open to engines but wud prefer slide valve rather than an oscillating engine


__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
TorontoBuilder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #43
xs4all
 
xs4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 52
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoBuilder View Post
Yep... a steam engine wud be good. Im pretty open to engines but wud prefer slide valve rather than an oscillating engine
if we went w/ castings, we could build for ourselves and sell one to cover the costs. this is what i believe to be a good way to go about it. if there's 3 of us, buy 4 kits and sell one to pay for the kits (or at least offset the cost by a bit).

i'd like to build a Stuart 10D or a Stuart Beam engine this time 'round. if you're thinking bar stock build, perhaps we could go w/ one of the many rudy kouhoupt models.

what say you? perhaps you have something in mind....?
xs4all is offline  
TorontoBuilder Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #44
TorontoBuilder
John
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
TorontoBuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 337
Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

The Stuart 10D will nicely power a model launch... I'd be up for that..
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
TorontoBuilder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #45
steamboatmodel
 
steamboatmodel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 304
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Anyone interested in model enginnering is more than welcome to come out to any of the Toronto Society of Model Enginers.
Regards,
Gerald.
__________________
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long
steamboatmodel is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #46
TorontoBuilder
John
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
TorontoBuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 337
Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
Anyone interested in model enginnering is more than welcome to come out to any of the Toronto Society of Model Enginers.
Regards,
Gerald.
I was so mad to realize it was mentioned on here just after the April 10th meeting

So into my calendar with these dates.

May 8
June 12
September 11
October 9
November 13
December 11

Meetings are held at 7:30 pm. in the DON MILLS LIBRARY at 888 Lawrence Ave. East, Toronto, M3C 1P6
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
TorontoBuilder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #47
steamboatmodel
 
steamboatmodel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 304
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs4all View Post
if we went w/ castings, we could build for ourselves and sell one to cover the costs. this is what i believe to be a good way to go about it. if there's 3 of us, buy 4 kits and sell one to pay for the kits (or at least offset the cost by a bit).

i'd like to build a Stuart 10D or a Stuart Beam engine this time 'round. if you're thinking bar stock build, perhaps we could go w/ one of the many rudy kouhoupt models.

what say you? perhaps you have something in mind....?
The 10D is a nice engine and one of the TSME members has some for sale, but a launch and boiler would be on the big side. What about the the Paddleducks engine it is 1/2 inch bore I think (I can post a link from my main computer if wanted I am on a tablet right now).
Reegards,
Gerald.
__________________
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long
steamboatmodel is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #48
TorontoBuilder
John
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png
 
TorontoBuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 337
Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
The 10D is a nice engine and one of the TSME members has some for sale, but a launch and boiler would be on the big side. What about the the Paddleducks engine it is 1/2 inch bore I think (I can post a link from my main computer if wanted I am on a tablet right now).
Reegards,
Gerald.
Id still like to make a Stuart 10D (model tug instead of launch ) although the paddleduck is on my TDL.

Do you have contact info for the TSME member's contact info?
__________________
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
TorontoBuilder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #49
xs4all
 
xs4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 52
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
Anyone interested in model enginnering is more than welcome to come out to any of the Toronto Society of Model Enginers.
Regards,
Gerald.
i'll be there next meeting
xs4all is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #50
xs4all
 
xs4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 52
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
The 10D is a nice engine and one of the TSME members has some for sale, but a launch and boiler would be on the big side. What about the the Paddleducks engine it is 1/2 inch bore I think (I can post a link from my main computer if wanted I am on a tablet right now).
Reegards,
Gerald.
i don't recall mentioning anything about using a 10D for a launch. i don't think ppl use stuarts (other than the sirius) for this sort of thing....at least i wouldn't.

much better options out there for sure.

i am looking for a hull 36" or better for a project. i have boilers and engines, so i really just need a hull. perhaps you know of one?

i ask because your name suggests you may know a thing or two about this sort of thing.


xs4all is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Build 8 dalem9 Team Builds 604 12-19-2016 01:26 PM
Team CAD build RonGinger Team Builds 46 04-08-2015 01:45 AM
Team Build No.5A JorgensenSteam Team Builds 4 03-08-2011 02:45 AM
TB2 - Next Team Build Brass_Machine Team Builds 0 04-26-2008 04:48 PM
Team build Brass_Machine Team Builds 185 04-06-2008 06:32 PM



Newest Threads






- Top - Member List