Project of the Month built by Ghosty
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > Drilling brass castings

Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
Hauk

Likes Given: 1

Default Drilling brass castings

I need to drill a lot of small holes (0,3mm/0,4mm) in some brass castings. The brass in the castings seem to be quite hard, and I am breaking drill bits at an alarming rate.

Does anoyone have advice? On such small drill bits it seems impossible (at least to me) to make adjustments to the drills in any way.

I am using an drill press with max 9500 RPM. Could I expect better results with a higher speed?

How about cutting fluids?

Any input is much appreciated!

Best regards,
Hauk

Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
goldstar31

Liked 253 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Depends on a lot of variables. If the casting is not flat where the drill goes in, you will snap a thin drill. You need a tiny end or slot drill to get avoid wandering---- and snapping. Again, I would follow with a centre drill or a Slocombe drill to start things. Then I would clear chips that will clog a drill.As for cutting fluids, I think that they are less important than the foregoing advice. Me, I use purified lard oil-- but I'm old fashioned.What you should realise is that chips jamming is the worst case scenario. If you don't believe me, knock up a baby D bit and play with a bit of scrap brass..Bang, crash and wallop.CheersNorman

Old 11-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Swifty

Liked 813 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 291

With drills that size, lots of pecking is required. As Norman has said, swarf can be your biggest problem.

Paul.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
ICEpeter

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 219

If you are using a drill press and its quill is operated by its handle, you may ought to supplement it by using a micro drill attachment that allows sensitive drilling, using finger pressure, instead of the quill handle with somewhat uncontrolled pressure leading to breakage of those very tiny drills.

Peter J.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
ICEpeter

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Micro Drill Adapter picture

Peter J.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Micro drill adapter.doc (184.5 KB, 298 views)

Old 11-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Toolguy

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I would try solid carbide drills with 2 straight flutes if they come that small. I have them down to 1/16, I don't know how small they go to. Also check out www.harverytool.com for small carbide milling and drilling cutters. They are super quality with moderate prices.
You don't say how deep the holes are, for shallow depths a carbide spade drill may be the way to go.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
goldstar31

Liked 253 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Perhaps you should Google www.danielslondon.com. It is something to read- when you have read the rest!norman

Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
jennyxie
jennyxie

I agree with Norman and others in this discussion to a large extent. And I'd like to add a point - temperature. you may control it strictly to ensure a good result. Because I don't know what kind of drill you are about to use, I can't offer you exact suggestions on temperature controller. you are welcome to write back. Jenny.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Wizard69

Liked 157 Times on 141 Posts

The type of brass can be a big factor here, especially if it is a bronze like alloy. One time in my youth I had to drill holes in some way material made out ampco 18 brass I believe. (This was a long time ago). That stuff was damn near impossible to run a drill bit through. I should have known better as the engineer that wanted the holes in the material smirked when I said no problem.

The point is knowing the alloy might help you find the right solution. Also take note of the people above talking about starting the drill bit. It is advisable to spot the hole locations before drilling. You simply can't afford drill wander when starting the hole.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
cynthiamyra

For drilling hard materials one of the suitable methods is deep hole drilling. You can use gun drill for making straight, sharp and accurate holes in to any hard material.

Deep hole drilling is beneficial across several applications. This process can be used in aerospace equipment, engines, armaments, Gas and oil exploration equipment, and is commonly used in machining processes.

Contact here http://top-seiko.com/gallery/deep-hole-drilling/ for your deep hole drilling needs.