Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > CNC Machines and Conversions > Windows shopping for 3-D printer.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #81
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Tin, It must surely be frustrating. I have all but given up buying second hand tools on eBay because invariably there is always something wrong or mis described.

I guess I better stop posting about building on a shopping thread but this is what I achieved.
Rod I blame myself as much as the seller. He could have mentioned there was no power supply . He DID say no accessories. I did not notice there was no PS in the photo. On the plus side the unit was packed in the original carton with original packing. and so far one missing screw that needed to be replaced. And a couple parts had fallen off the machine but were there.
e-bay and auctions is one of those times when you need to stay objective. Get caught in the excitement and one can pay too much or miss details I missed a $50 detail it cost me.

Say the word and I can breakout your build posts into a new thread.

and my shopping thread has turned into getting a used machine running thread. . when I get power I will likely break off into a new thread as well and add some things I learned about what is out there to this thread.
Good bad or indifferent I hope people have learned from this thread , and the choices I made. As well as the various advise given.

Part of my logic was getting started and not spending to much time on research. there comes a time when one has to stop the talk and start to walk. Looks like you are walking.

Again thanks to all who are helping in this journey. I know there are a bunch of guys with these machines and not a lot of talk about them.
I know it is an additive process and not metal removal but CNC and Something found more and more in the home shop. 5 years ago a reprap kit was about 1 k and looked like scaffolding on the side of a building. The technology is changing.
IMHO there is lots of research to be done with materials. And I have been told the software has come a long way but still much room for improvement.
Tin

Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #82
Wizard69

Liked 160 Times on 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodw View Post
Paul, Thanks, in a lot of 10, this listing comes in at 26 cents delivered (for 625ZZ 5mm IDx 16mm OD x 5mm Wide)

I'll see how I go making the

The dimensions are metric but they must have used imperial units hence the really odd dimensions. They have another design that adds a V slot on the flat of the wheel so it will run on a V rail as well as the slot but this one just rides in the V shaped channel which is what I want.
This is just a guess but I don't see the dimensions as odd. What would be a press fit in steel wouldn't be so secure in Delrin. That and holding dimensions on Delrin is difficult, especially on drulled or bored parts.
Quote:

Here is the other one

Their approach with these rollers strikes me as strange. The roller idea itself is fine, what I have a problem with is where it runs. Maybe I'm nuts here but it would make more sense to me to run a V notched roller on a corner of an off the shelf extrusion. I haven't tried this yet but you would get longer life in my estimation and your linear bearing would end up stiffer. It probably doesn't matter on a extruded type machine but if you wanted to use the same machine for light routing like with a dreamer I don't see good results with these hearings.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #83
rodw

Liked 288 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post
This is just a guess but I don't see the dimensions as odd. What would be a press fit in steel wouldn't be so secure in Delrin. That and holding dimensions on Delrin is difficult, especially on drulled or bored parts.
Agreed that the bearing seat needs to be undersized and that dimension works well but most of the other sizes are direct translations of imperial dimensions in 64ths 32nds etc.
Quote:

Their approach with these rollers strikes me as strange. The roller idea itself is fine, what I have a problem with is where it runs. Maybe I'm nuts here but it would make more sense to me to run a V notched roller on a corner of an off the shelf extrusion. I haven't tried this yet but you would get longer life in my estimation and your linear bearing would end up stiffer. It probably doesn't matter on a extruded type machine but if you wanted to use the same machine for light routing like with a dreamer I don't see good results with these hearings.
That is exactly the difference with this profile. There is a bolt on rail (Open Rail) that fits standard T slot extrusions which you can use with the wheel with the V slot, or you can just run the same wheel in the V slotted profile. I just chose not to machine the V in the wheel as it would not be used. Availability in Australia is also an issue. Apparently, the Makerslide extrusion with built in V rail is very easy to damage in transit which is also not an issue with this extrusion.

I think however, I will not perserve with this hardware and look at using precision slides and ball screws. Some newer builds are using these and they greatly simplify construction. One down side is they are about 10 times slower (4mm a rev vs 40mm) but when I see the quoted travel speeds for printers, ball screws are still in the ballpark with my steppers maxxing them out at about 1500 mm a second. Speed could be fixed by using some gears).

If you want a different approach, Google SLA printers which use an overhead data projector to solidify a complete slice of an object in a container of resin where the beam is focussed.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #84
Tin Falcon

WOW and thank you to all who have supported me in this crazy endevor to trek out on the adventure of 3-d printing.

first of all my wife who does not hassle me to much for chasing the silly dreams and for looking out for my interests.
secondly to DKSGROUP e-bay seller out of Bufaloe NY.
my wife let the e bay seller know my printer came with no power supply and I had to buy one to use the printer . the seller gave a partial refunt that covered the cost of the PS and shipping. If all e-bay sellers were so honest and cared that much about customers.

Dave who has offered much advice and communicated with Matt from soliddoodle. And matt fromm solid doodle. and of course to all hear who read and poted to this thread. Test print No 2 in process.

tin

Old 08-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #85
Tin Falcon

Timing is everything isn't it. ? After owning my solid dooodle 4 for all of two weeks SD Has now dropped the SD2 and 3. And they have announced three new inits the press aimed at the plug and play home market current price $399 and will rise to $499. the workbench boasting a 12 in ^3 work area aimed at the serious Maker priced at $1,299 and the apprentice at $799. all three new units have auto level and the two maker units IIRC dual head. The SD4 is now $599 and another addition to the line is solid care a 1 year warranty repair replacement plan.
Tin

Old 08-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #86
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Having fun with the printer?? Love to see some pics of your first prints.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #87
Tin Falcon

Yes having fun been busy !!
Not avery good pic but what I have ATM.
Tin
Attached Thumbnails
DSCI0012.jpg  

Old 08-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #88
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks like some pretty good prints. Yep your hooked! LOL

Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #89
Tin Falcon

And now the newest 3 in 1 machine a combo 3d printer mini/micro mill /router and a 3d scanner.

http://fabtotum.com/
Pre order price of $999 in kit form +100 for the assembled version.
expected delivery Sept 2014
this stuff is just busting loose..

A1 the first prints had some first layer issues. then I got the blue printing well then tryed running the color fab black . always having to rethink . But am having fun and I expect a roll of filament cheaper than a night at the bar. Do not do bars much.
Tin

Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #90
AussieJimG
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am following along with interest as you lead us into the future. Thank you Tin.

Jim