Project of the Month built by SilverSanJuan
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > CNC Machines and Conversions > Windows shopping for 3-D printer.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #41
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

This kit has even more for a little more money

http://www.sainsmart.com/ramps-sd-a4...fan-alumi.html

this one adds a few meters of timing belts. 5 pulleys and extruder heater with nozzle aluminum bed plate to mount the heater and a piece of borocilicate glass.

FYI this stuff is shipped out of Mainland china to most of the world. they do have a warehouse in Germany.
Tin

Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #42
Tin Falcon

Quote:
The Best Advice I can give you, is find a hacker space in NJ. Most of them have a 3d Printer on hand. I would try it out first before shelling out money.
Interesting Idea but the only one almost close enough is in the planning stages.
Tin

Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #43
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Tin, your not that far from me are you? If you needed something you could just swing over. You are good company.

I was reading/ researching and ran across this a few momnets ago. http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...ing-revolution
Maybe we should wait a bit and see what happens??

Old 07-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #44
Tin Falcon

I Have looked at the stl print technology as well. the formlabs form 1 printer package is about $ 3,300 the material is $149 per liter they recommend buying in cartons of 4 to save shipping.

so at least at the present time the cost of STL is about three times the cost of plastic extrusion.

I may send a pm and make a visit I have a vacation week coming up.

Do I need a 3-d printer probably not do I want one yes. I think at this time in my life it is probably better to buy one or buy a complete kit. as I would rather spend the time learning to use it than spending a lot of time building.
I am keeping options open for now
Tin

Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #45
Tin Falcon

Default Dig Dig and dig some more.

One of my hesitations of building a 3-d printer besides the time is the cost of parts fearing part cast could be near equal or exceed a commercial printer.

As anyone knows who has shopped at McMaster Carr and other similar supply houses know little things like timing pulleys and couplers can add up quick. IIrc it cost about $80 for such parts to convert the CNC lathe. Thus my apprehension.
So in search of affordable timing pulley I found this web page

http://www.robotdigg.com/product/index/page/1
yes out of china.
lots of 3-d printer parts ala cart.

The prices look very reasonable 9.00 for a heat bed $ 2 pulleys. Drivers are $4.50. Shopping list t follow ?

Tin

Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #46
aonemarine

Tin, I went thru the same thing when I was thinking about building a printer. Finally I just bought a kit.
No regrets. I still might build one one day when I have more time but by then who knows what technology will be available. I still haven't even managed to get my cnc mill built. Time to take some vacation time so I can finish up some projects.....

Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #47
Tin Falcon

Well I put together a shopping list with no real plan. but a fairly complete list including linear rod and bearings and rod ends. the total came to $275. so add in the other stuff and I am looking at somewhere around $400 for parts to build one of these things. This lis includes kaplon tape a 400 gram 4 color pla sample a ceramic screwdriver for adjusting the drivers cable wrap . it does not include the power supply +$30 motor mounts borosilicate glass and a few other things.
so a similar prebuild would be something like $700 may be worth doing.
Now I need to decide do I do a basic cube design with moving one piece extruder an eventor bot with remote drive extruder or a portable briefcase style.

Prebuild not out of the running but $ 300 is a chunk of change time vs money hmm.and I still need to think about stuff like filament and Kaplon tape. so easy another hundred top of the 7.

Tin

Old 07-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #48
aonemarine

The only thing I can think of to add would be dual print heads. One for the part and one for a disolveable support material. I have a couple of prints kicking my butt because ot the supports....

Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #49
Tin Falcon

thanks that is one consideration of finalizing a plan .
I am also thinking of a 150 watt ps instead of a 120 +$20....

the last link has useful parts like end supports for $1-2 each so a couple extras for spares or design flexibility would not break the bank, I am concerned about shipping and a few items have min quantity.
I get the feeling Sainsmart is geared more to the hobby/ first time builder robot digs more oem.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #50
rodw

Liked 298 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Tin, this is an interesting controller board and the stepper controllers run cooler than the basic Polou which in my experience was an issue with missed steps, hence I bought a Gecko.
http://www.robotronics.com.au/web/pr...roller-drv8825

This shop also has J heads and a better heater component for them than a simple resistor. This board supports 3 print heads and is cheaper over your way. I think I would go with the remote bowden extruder to get weight down if you go with multiple heads. I am still keen on ball screws. Feedback from a friend today keeping the Z axis travel level with dual steppers was a never ending problem as they would not stay in sync. He thought it would be better to run one stepper on the Z axis like he does with CNC mills.

I will think some more but wondered if the x and y were on a gantry running on a lead rail of some kind, driven by a ball screw and the Z ballscrew poked up in the air.
And I found a third NEMA 17 in my shed today.... so I probably only need steppers for the extruders.