Project of the Month built by mayhugh1

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > CNC Machines and Conversions > Windows shopping for 3-D printer.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #31
RonGinger

Liked 124 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Recall I got a Solidoodle4 Just before I left for Cabin Fever, then I had both knees replaced in June, so I am just back to trying this thing out. My nerd grandson arrived a few days ago, about the time we discovered some broken plastic pats in the patio table my wife uses. Well, Solidoodle to the rescue. We measured, drew and printed 4 end caps that go on the metal legs to protect the glass top. They went together perfectly and the table is now on the deck and my wife is happy, at least briefly

So, my first useful printed part. I have no idea how long they will last, the originals were killed by the sun UV. But they only took about an hour to print, so I guess when these fail we can just print more.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #32
rodw

Liked 306 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Falcon View Post
still pondering and saving money.
Still tying to decide if I scratch build or buy a pre built.
I need to also decid if if I need 1 head or two. I know the two headed monster allows for disolvable support.
Tin, I have not been game enough to put a 3D printer on my list of thing for the workshop.......

I would go for the two filament one. In addition to supports, this would let you insert say white lettering into a black button for a machine or electronic device just like they do on quality keyboards....You'll think of other similar things you could do with 2 colours

Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #33
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 812 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Hmm another Interesting Idea. I think I would have to build this one.
do not think commercially available. It is a full sized 3 - d portable printer that folds into a briefcase sized case and fit into the overhead compartment on commercial aircraft not that I fly much. But would make it easy to take to Model engineering shows.

So has anyone ever heard of the Ben Heck Show?? from what I have seen could easily be called the Ben Hack show. sponsored by element 14 as an infomercial series for electron heads.

watch the video and tell me what you think could be doable and great for us folk with limited shop space. Store in a closet , set up on a table print and store when done. But I see no place for tool storage but not to fear as Ben Heck has designed and built a portable tool bench box for electronics work. And one still needs things like rolls of ABS or PLA to feed this tiny machine. so the briefcase turns into 3 or four briefcase sized boxes when all is said and done. Still More portable than an 18" cube just for the printer.
Another Idea to ponder.

Tin

Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #34
rodw

Tin, this is an Interesting video as it shows how simple they are to make (if you have the tools like we do). I think I have enough steppers here that I scrounged a while ago, and a box of Arduinos, just have to sort out the base plate and extruder... maybe I should give it a go...

Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #35
jschoenly

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I got a B9 Creator, which is much more pricey (hello used machines on their forum!). Its a resin based machine and I liked that it was all open source. If you really wanted to (and others have, one made an MDF version), you can download all the files and make one. Still more expensive getting the projector and all, but boy it makes cool parts. Also it uses an investment casting compatible resin that burns out nicely. Here are a few recent casts I did including a few key chains of our little dog for the wife's birthday!

Takes a lot of tinkering and is not as useful for non casting related parts, but it's fun to have!
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of 20140620_124649.jpg   Copy of 20140620_084807.jpg   Copy of 20140620_084924.jpg   IMG_1316.JPG  

Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #36
Tin Falcon

Quote:
just have to sort out the base plate and extruder... maybe I should give it a go...
the heated borosilicate glass base you pretty much have to buy . The Hot bed and glass plate are about $20 each.

The extruder can be purchased or you can make one not real complicated. a stepper a pinch roller with spring you need a heater block with heater and thermosistor and you need to make or buy a nozzle.

https://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/3D...onent-extruder
Tin

Old 07-12-2014, 02:11 AM   #37
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Jared, when are you going to polish those up?? LOL

Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #38
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Falcon View Post
the heated borosilicate glass base you pretty much have to buy . The Hot bed and glass plate are about $20 each.

The extruder can be purchased or you can make one not real complicated. a stepper a pinch roller with spring you need a heater block with heater and thermosistor and you need to make or buy a nozzle.

https://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/3D...onent-extruder
Tin
Thanks Tin.

I found them on eBay locally at about the price you said. Maximium size seemed to be 200x200mm (8x8").

I've got 2 x NEMA 17's (different sizes) and 1 x NEMA 23, a Gecko GX240 stepper driver and a few Arduino UNO controllers here. Repetier firmware seems to be the go. As you said, the extruders seem to be fairly simple to make.

So I am some steppers and a couple of stepper drivers short.

I know we like to be precise on this forum. Would there be any benefit in using ballscrews and linear rails on the axes? They are not that expensive and I can machine the ball screw ends. Machining the end of the ball screws should be a cinch if I had to. I did see one on Youtube made this way.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #39
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

This printer http://www.thingiverse.com/search/pa...aluminatus&sa= is pretty nice, but unfortunately the company who built it is now defunct. It uses screws for all axis instead of belts and people have been mounting dremels to them to do a bit of engraving and extremely light milling. Have a look and tell me what you guys think...

Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #40
Tin Falcon

One option I have considered is a kit from sainsmart. IIRC they are out of hong kong possibly mainland china.
Free shipping to USA and Australia.

Looks like the same electronics that one would find in a plastic scribbler for about $250. yes still need to build the frame buy belts pulleys guide rod linear bearings etc. power supply etc. but an option. These guys have lots options from a single board to an entire electrons package.

Ramps 1.4 Mega 2560 3-d printer kit w steppers

IMHO a gecko drive is way overkill for a printer.

the ramps board has a place for 6 drivers keep in mind a 3-d printer board needs to control two heaters as well as 6 motors.
Just the controller a mega 2560 ramps 1.4 and 5 plug in drivers will run about $60.
Ramps contoler kit

My main hesitation of buying such a kit besides the time to engineer and assemble is the cost of all the extra parts. Most the complete kits I have seen are not impressive and more money than a solid doodle.

Tin