Project of the Month built by dnalot
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC > CNC Machines and Conversions > Windows shopping for 3-D printer.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Gonzo007

I have a Tinkerine Litto and love it. Works great. I am also very lucky because there its a local company and I have access to support. I really like the SeeMeCNC Rostock max. Right now on Kickstarter there is a M3D. Its the one to watch, since the price is 299. Problem is the earliest you can get one is next Feb.

There is lots of options now and way more to come.

Colin

Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
jkimberln

If you can't do CAD drawings on one of the programs that outputs STL files, then there is no point in having a 3d printer. I'm one of those people. I have a 3d printer too, which I use when someone else wants to give me a file to print or will draw something for me. But I just can't get the hang of CAD for some reason.

JerryK

Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
TimTaylor

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Jerry,

I feel your pain - by their nature the majority of the 3D CAD programs are fairly complex, the user interface can be daunting and the learning curve is pretty steep.

As an alternative, take a look at the Cubify Invent program. It has a fairly simple user interface and is really easy to work with. You can download a 14 day trial version from their web site, and the full license is only $49 if you decide you like it.

Tim

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 809 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was using the Alibre /Geomagic so am farily comfortable with 3-d . I am probably go with cubifydesign. it does stl files and 2d drawing outputs. If you are only running a 3-d printer cubify invent is the way to go.
Quote:
Right now on Kickstarter there is a M3D. Its the one to watch, since the price is 299. Problem is the earliest you can get one is next Feb.
Interesting tempting ? a little but the thing is tiny. it fits in the print envelope of a soliddoodle or plastic scribbler.

the davinci according to one receive has garbage for software but fairly easily fixed.

Quote:
I really like the SeeMeCNC Rostock max
does seem nice nice features and a huge print envelope.

Tin

Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
TimTaylor

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Falcon View Post
I was using the Alibre /Geomagic so am farily comfortable with 3-d . I am probably go with cubifydesign. it does stl files and 2d drawing outputs. If you are only running a 3-d printer cubify invent is the way to go.
Staying with something you're familiar with isn't a bad approach. I use BOBCAD/CAM at work for 2D/2.5D, so Invent was strictly for use with the 3D printer.

For home use I recently purchased Sharpcam, who just released their 3D version. I'm just getting started with it so have somewhat of a learning curve ahead of me, but so far, so good. The user interface is very nice and the graphics are outstanding. They are really nice people to deal with, not at all high pressure like some of their competitors. The cost is very reasonable for it's capabilities, support is 100% free and they do offer a discount to hobbyists. If someone doesn't want or need the integrated CAM capabilities it's probably way overkill, but for me it was the way to go.

Tim

Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
Nerdz

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The Best Advice I can give you, is find a hacker space in NJ. Most of them have a 3d Printer on hand. I would try it out first before shelling out money.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/New_Jersey

I thought of joining the local CT one, but erm, not for $50 a month! But most do have open house nights. I know mine does, I just havent gone because I dont see a reason too. If you really get into it and dont mind a 2hr drive in September, There is the World Maker Faire in Queens NY. They have a large 3d Printer section. There are some very knowledgeable people there!

My personal Opinion: Their cool and all, but I just dont see the practical use. Quick Prototyping is one thing, but Ive heard someone using 3d prints to make a mold, and then filling that mold with Molten Metal. I would personally get a 3d printer just for that purpose. Turning scrap Aluminum into parts for a model would be quite interesting.
Hobbies in all Sorts of things.

Last edited by Nerdz; 04-22-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Proper Usage of "Their"-I cant seem to get it right tonight

Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #17
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Don't see a pratical use?? My printer has bailed me out more than once. And when you combine 3D printing with investment casting, the sky is the limit!

Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #18
Tin Falcon

There have been a fair amount of 3-d printers at some of the ME shows. And I have a friend that has done some amazing things w 3d printer. . He is a retired college instructor. I need to stop in I drive by his house daily. I probably need to ask more questions.

A 3-D printer is a tool. what you can do with it is only limited by imagination and the time and effort used to learn how to use it. what is the use of a mill or lathe in a hobby shop??

IMHO 3-D printing is in the toddler stage. Past infancy but still in development.

Apparently these things will make toys candy chocolate wax patterns etc.
If a 3-D printer can make parts to build a 3-d printer there is potential.
A lathe is touted for self replicating.

I am trying to decide if a 3-D printer is right for me. And which one .

Tin
Nerdz Likes This 
Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #19
Tin Falcon

Another option I am looking at is the soliddoodle 2nd gen the expert is $499 and the base model is Only $399 . The expert has the heated build plate and covers and a couple other minor upgrades. The one review I saw says it takes some time to get it adjusts and dialed in .

http://store.solidoodle.com/index.ph...product_id=131

the SD is small and portable 11.5^3 but a decent build envelop of 6^3

the Di Vinci has a bigger 8^3 envelope but much larger physical footprint.

The asterid is 18^3 with a 8^3 print envelope and a bit more money. Hmmmmm.
Tin
tin

Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #20
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Tin just remember, any printer you get will be a tinker toy. You have to tinker with them and play around with them before you can get those perfect prints. Like you said they are still in thier infancy. But once you learn what it takes to run one, and what thier capable of, you can do this....Lost pla castings