Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC > CNC Machines and Conversions > Windows shopping for 3-D printer.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #91
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thank you Jim for that compliment. It was a privilege to chat with at CF maybe we can do it again some day.

One of the quetion I have heard is what can one do with a 3-d printer . IMHO here is a great example. A guy comes home and finds the garage door opener not working. Investigation reveals broken connector between the motor and the drive mechanism. Connector is plastic part with 8 slot/rib internal spline Ok if you have a shaper or slotter and a rotary table not a bad job but tedious. but with a 3 d printer design and build in less than an hour while you drink coffee or grab a sandwich.
Link here.

http://www.soliforum.com/post/62449/#p62449

Tin

Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #92
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I got one for you. I was in the middle of casting up some parts for a job that needed to be shipped out on monday and the coupler on my vaccum pump failed. I tried zip tying it back together (yea that all most worked) and then thought you dummy theres a whole spool of couplers up stairs. So I went and modeled the part, printed it, and was back up and running in a couple of hours.

larry1 Likes This 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #93
Tin Falcon

wow that looks familiar!!

...... and best buy is selling ABS filament.

Tin

Old 08-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #94
aonemarine

Liked 185 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
...... and best buy is selling ABS filament.
No kidding?? Well im heading to the store to check it out!!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #95
Tin Falcon

It may be on line only and you have to key in the correct words but it is there . best buy is selling through E-BAy
Tin

Old 08-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #96
Tin Falcon

Anybody buy filament from these guys? http://www.justpla.com/index.php?route=common/home
Price looks good includes shipping.
Tin

Old 08-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #97
Tin Falcon

Marlin a USA manufacturer of extruded PVC used for spiral notebooks retools to put them self in position to be the premiere USA manufacturer of PLA for 3-d printers. Company has been in busness for 12 years launches new pla line.

http://precision3dfilament.com/

Ok more checking Best buy does sell filament but looks like the local stores do not stock yet. Online ordering only and 5-7 days ship to store.

On the other hand Micro-center Actually stocks printers and filament the filament reasonably priced.
Closest for me St Davids PA 30 and off 476.
You may want to check it out Dave.

Tin ]

Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #98
Tin Falcon

On the way ti kinzers I stopped by the St Davids Micro center And Picked up a couple rolls of pla . They have a nice selection of hobby electronics
I had to ask fo th PLA I wanted but was in stock as advertized.
Tin

Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #99
AussieJimG
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This thread will be primary source material when the bug finally kicks in. Thanks Tin.

Jim

Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #100
Tin Falcon

Well friends I have had the Soliddoodle4 for about a month now.
and solid doodle has just revamped the lineup.
The sd2 and SD 3 are discontinued and replaced with 3 new options.

http://www.solidoodle.com/
And the current retail on the SD 4 is now $599 .

Initial impressions the machine is fun to use.
as you can see successful prints after some learning.
The fact I have built a couple cnc machines and ran one for a year somewhat helpful the Idea of leveling the bed similar to tramming a mill but easier. and the z home swithch needs to be adjusted as this is critical to the first print layer.

The machine:
Appearance., the sd4 is a basic box style printer that gives a great first impression from its professional made looking case. most of the case is steel painted black and the door is injection molded plastic.
Mechanics. the basic setup of the SD4 is the same as the makerbot. But the materials are a little different. the SD4 bed plate holder is formed from sheet aluminum vs injection molded plastic on the MB. single motor screw actuated. z axis in the back of the machine. the scew is a 60 deg srew acme as found on the better machines would be an improvement. The Z stop adjuster is a good sized thumb wheel . The bed plate is a heated aluminum plate insulated underneath and leveled with three wing nuts. The 6 mm guide rods support and guide the 3 axis. (2 each) these are held in the frame by simple steel collars .The X and Y axis are powered by nema 14 motors and the Z and Ext ruder are nema 17 . I expected 17s all around but not a big deal.
X and Y axis are driven by timing belts. seem to work fine as long as tension is kept in adjustment.
The extruder is a simple deal but easy to change filament. a toothed pulley drives the plastic a bearing pushes against the plastic via a spring loaded lever. Press the lever to change /installl /remove filament. As with many of the reprap cousins there are many 3D printed parts used to assemble this machine Sd does not offer the files to print replacements but these are available through forums and thiniverse.
As with many / most hobby level entry level machine there is lots of room to upgrade

Things I have learned. All movements are in reference to the tool I should know this x and y is easy a -Z will shove the pint nozzle into your part an ruin it and twist the x axis guide rod. no harm just adjustment.
after a stupid crash figure out what moved adjust what moved not something else.
x axis twist easy to detect and adjust with a level. If your software is showing something that looks like a partial blue screen of death DO NOT HIT START !!! this will also case a crash as the software just lost its mind . reboot the software and start with fresh g code.

Some experts say that mainstream home 3d printing is 5 years away. That may be true before we see a plug a n play reliable affordable home machine.

I am a life long learner and my home shop is like a university engineering lab. I want to learn new technology and experiment.
And sometime it is just as important to know what does not work as well as what does.
Tin

. I may still build one more to my liking but I wanted needed a starting point. a base line if you will without spending a grand on a makerbot.