Project of the Month built by SilverSanJuan
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > CNC Machines and Conversions > Enco (Rong Fu RF30) Mill/Drill Conversion

Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
cfellows
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 755 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Enco (Rong Fu RF30) Mill/Drill Conversion

I've been talking about this in another thread under Tool Modifications and decided it properly belongs here.

I bought some SFU1605 Ball Screws with Ball Nuts on Ebay a couple of months back. These were threaded end to end so I had fit machined shafting on the ends to adapt them to my mill/drill. The ball screws are hardened but I was able to turn down the end with a carbide insert and finish it off with a small grinder attached to the lathe tool post.

Here are some pictures of the Y-Axis that I've been working on the past couple of days. First picture is the exiting Y-Axis lead screw nut and the machined aluminum replacement that will attach to the ball nut.

Here's the original lead screw nut as it attaches to the Y-Axis Slide.

And here's the aluminum replacement shown in place...

And with the ball screw and nut in place...

Here's the ball screw with the end turned down. I actually had to extend the turned part another 1/4".

Here's the ball screw assembly with the machined extension attached. It was turned from 1" 12L14.

And with the attachment...

And here's a picture of the ball screw assembly in place...

Next I'll be working on the X-Axis...

Chuck

Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
cfellows

Had to do a bit of fiddling with Y-Axis, including adding about .030" in shims on top of the Y-Axis ball nut attachment. Now it's smooth as silk with no binding.

Today I started on the X-Axis. Here is a picture of the ball screw, nut, and the two 12L14 pieces that will be turned to form the extensions.

That ball is about 1.25" shorter than the table but I don't think the table ever would move to the extreme on either end, so hopefully no real estate lost.

I'm comfortable now that I will be able to finish this project so today I bit the bullet and ordered a Gecko G540, 4 axis controller/driver. It has lots of good features and will drive steppers up to 3.5 amps. I think I will be able to use the MDI functions in the MACH3 Demo to move the axes around manually.

Chuck

Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
stevehuckss396
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 927 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfellows View Post
I think I will be able to use the MDI functions in the MACH3 Demo to move the axes around manually.
Screw that!! The tradition is to write your name with a felt tip fine point pen. PM me your email address and ill send over the gcode. Board wont let me attach it. Hope you like Times New Roman.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
cfellows

One end of the X-axis now machined and fitted.

Aligns nicely as is, no binding.

Chuck

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
cfellows

Forgot to include a picture of the X-axis ball nut attachment fixture. It's made from 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron, milled and cut to shape.

The contact surfaces are also milled flat and square to each other.

Chuck

Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
kuhncw
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Chuck, I'm enjoying your posts on converting your mill drill to CNC. I think you will be surprised at how much use you will get out of it, even for one off parts.

At the absolute very least, operating in manual input mode, it will be like having a smart power feed on your mill.

Regards,

Chuck

Old 11-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
cfellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhncw View Post
Chuck, I'm enjoying your posts on converting your mill drill to CNC. I think you will be surprised at how much use you will get out of it, even for one off parts.

At the absolute very least, operating in manual input mode, it will be like having a smart power feed on your mill.

Regards,

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck. I've always felt like CNC was a money pit that I didn't really need. However, being a tinkerer and a lover of all things mechanical I've longed to have a CNC setup for many years. I finally decided that having the manual input movements would tip the scales in favor of having it, so here we go.

So far I have about $650 invested and I'll probably buy Mach3 which will be another $175. Hopefully FreeMill, which is free, will take care of my CAM needs.

Chuck

Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
cfellows

The mill/drill is back in play, ball screws and nuts installed on the X and Y axes.

Both axes move freely with no binding and no discernible backlash. Now I gotta start on the stepper motor mounts and finally, what to do with the Z-axis.

Chuck

Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Herbiev
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 253 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Great work Chuck. Looking forward to the z axis mods.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
cfellows

Thanks, Herbie.

Got started on the Z-axis mount. Here's a picture of what will be the stepper motor mount. It's 3.625" x 5.25"

I decided to mount the plate on the face of the Z-axis crank assembly.

I don't think two, 10-24 screws is enough support, so I decided to add a couple more.

Here I'm making a drilling jig to bore the two extra holes in the casting.

It will also serve as a drilling guide for boring the mounting holes in the aluminum plate.

And here is the casting with the two addition threaded holes.

Here's the mounting plate with the mounting holes in place.

Next I'll need to machine the mounting holes for the stepper motor and finish machining the contours around the outside.

Chuck

Last edited by cfellows; 11-16-2013 at 04:56 AM.