Project of the Month built by Stefan-K
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Yet another QCTP thread (BXA on AL320G)

Old 02-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #21
rodw

Liked 274 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by simister View Post
Hi, I am also looking at a QCTP for the Al-320. Is the tool post you purchased from Hare Forbes the "Order Code: L292" for about $200?

John
John, I am really annoyed at H&F because they don't list this QCTP for the AL250G. They tried to sell me another much more expensive item that would have been so hard to fit, even the salesman said don't bother.

But tonight just for you, I took my tablet out to my shed and compared the numbers on the photos for all the tool holders on their site for the L292 and they are exactly the same as mine which I sourced from CTC ex Hong Kong. So yes, buy it!

You will find thought the tool holders, tooling and inserts are a lot cheaper through CTC. I used to save up and spend about $500 at a time. One $800 order including $300 freight would have been $2500+ through H&F.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #22
simister
John

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Rod, Thanks for going to the trouble of checking that out for me. Yes, I notice on the AL-320 that H&F only list a QCTP (QA-150 - L295) for $495.00. I think this is the expensive QCTP that you are referring to. I will go for the the L292 at $200 as you suggested.

Also, thanks for the tip on CTC.

John

Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #23
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 529 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I am wondering why people always want to swing their toolposts around and so require to have a quick release on the holding nut?
If your cutting tool is the correct one for the job and has the correct angles on it, then the toolpost should be perfectly square to the spindle to get optimum cutting.
There are only two times I would want to swing my toolpost, and that is when I am single point thread cutting using the half angle method, or if I am working very close to the tailstock and need to hold a tool at the back of the toolpost, so I swing the toolpost through 90 degs. Both times it only takes a few seconds to find the right spanner.

John

Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #24
tomrux

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Um no. I am always swinging my tool post (as opposed to the top slide) I can perform a number of operations with the one tool just by adjusting the tool post slightly. Facing left an right, turning left or right. an working into a shoulder.
when turning tapers with the top slide it gets even more important to be able to adjust what the tool is doing by moving the tool post leavin the top slide set so that a corresponding taper can be turned on the next work piece and they will match exactly.

Tom R

Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 AM   #25
rodw

Quote:
Rod, Thanks for going to the trouble of checking that out for me. Yes, I notice on the AL-320 that H&F only list a QCTP (QA-150 - L295) for $495.00. I think this is the expensive QCTP that you are referring to. I will go for the the L292 at $200 as you suggested.

Also, thanks for the tip on CTC.

John
Sound like the one they recommend. I think because the lathe is sold as being for 12mm tooling. I've kept with 12mm as I had it for my last lathe. I have a couple of 16mm tools and they work fine on this toolpost. I thought I might need to machine something off the bottom of the holders but so far so good!

The massive 25mm boring bar I got from CTC that fits the BXA holder is absolutely awesome! SO rigid!

I rarely turn my toolpost but it is handy to have the spanner there. I used to do it a fair bit to chamfer after facing but now I use a 45 degree neutral tool. Sometimes I remove it if its in the way as the bolt holding it on is only finger tight. I usually align it using a small set square against the back face.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 AM   #26
XD351

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have been reading your thread with interest as i have an AL320 also and am about to fit the exact same QCTP from CTC to it.
I also have an AL250G that already has the same QCTP fitted and i must say it has been a revelation compared to the QCTP i purchased from H&F at considerable cost many years ago which now resides in a drawer somewhere until i find a use for it.
The CTC unit looks a little chunky on the AL250G but works well and i do like the wedge lock system.
The old unit had a tee bolt arrangement that was tightened with a funny sort of L shaped socket wrench/ spanner and getting that damned tee bolt into the slot on the back of the tool holder was a real pain- i actually had to take to the slot on a few tool holders with a die grinder and a stone to get them to fit and guess what ! The damned tee bolts are different thicknesses so now two of the holders will only lock on one side of the tool post.
There is a similar unit available on EBAY here in Australia but it is a piston lock type and not compatible with the CTC unit although the numbers on the side are the same.
It is approx twice the cost of the CTC unit but you need to take into account the freight cost from China - it is insured though so you could expect to pay more for that.
So in the long run it pays to order a lot in one go as the cost of shipping did not seem linear to the cost of the gear , it seems to go in steps with weight being the deciding factor but there seems to be a reasonable sized window between each level.
So now i run the same unit on two of my lathes but with different tooling ( from H&F) so i can interchange between the two machines and only have to adjust the centre height accordingly.

Disclaimer: I have no association with any of the above mentioned suppliers other than being a customer - happy or otherwise.
If you want the name of the EBAY supplier send me a PM or do a search on the EBAY site ( Australia) for QCTP - can't vouch for the quality though !

I noticed in the pictures of the AL320 compound slide that the area on the square boss that the tool post sits on is that it is flat , mine has a circular spigot around the tool post mounting bolt - did you machine yours off or did it not have one ?

Regards ..
Ian

Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #27
simister
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodw View Post
Sound like the one they recommend. I think because the lathe is sold as being for 12mm tooling. I've kept with 12mm as I had it for my last lathe. I have a couple of 16mm tools and they work fine on this toolpost. I thought I might need to machine something off the bottom of the holders but so far so good!

The massive 25mm boring bar I got from CTC that fits the BXA holder is absolutely awesome! SO rigid!

I rarely turn my toolpost but it is handy to have the spanner there. I used to do it a fair bit to chamfer after facing but now I use a 45 degree neutral tool. Sometimes I remove it if its in the way as the bolt holding it on is only finger tight. I usually align it using a small set square against the back face.
Rod,

I was just looking on the CTC website at the QCTP. Did you purchase the 250-200 BXA at $180.00? Is that the same as Hare Forbes sell?

John

Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #28
rodw

Quote:
Rod,

I was just looking on the CTC website at the QCTP. Did you purchase the 250-200 BXA at $180.00? Is that the same as Hare Forbes sell?

John
John, yes, I did not check the numeric code but the BXA is the one I ordered. They are heavy so H&F is better priced. I think CTC now list the tool holders separately. They cost me $20 or so at CTC which is a lot better than H&F. Back then there was no listing so I'd add a Paypal Note with my payment and he'd add them on to my order and send me a Paypal invoice.
simister Likes This 
Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #29
simister
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodw View Post
John, yes, I did not check the numeric code but the BXA is the one I ordered. They are heavy so H&F is better priced. I think CTC now list the tool holders separately. They cost me $20 or so at CTC which is a lot better than H&F. Back then there was no listing so I'd add a Paypal Note with my payment and he'd add them on to my order and send me a Paypal invoice.
All sounds good. I will go for the H&F QCTP. I will certainly use CTC for tools that aren't too heavy - they look very competitive in comparison with H&F.

Thanks for your advice Rod.

John

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 AM   #30
///
Simon

Liked 67 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I realise everyone here has gone for the Aloris style AXA and BXA tool posts, but as the Dickson/Dixon style has been mentioned a few times I thought I'd just post a warning for anyone that may consider them in future:

The H&F Dickson style holders are NOT interchangeable with Dickson style from other vendors!!
The Dickson style is very popular in the UK on Myford and Boxford machines, I also use the Dickson S0 size on my Sieg SC4.
Out of interest, I took one of my holders to H&F just to see if it would fit their QA-100 tool post and no.... there was a massive difference in the fit even though the overall dimensions are almost identical.

This means anyone buying a H&F/TM(Tool Master) Dickson type will be stuck with only having H&F/TM holders available to suit at greatly inflated pricing.

From reports in various forums, the Myford, Bison and Soba branded Dickson types ARE interchangeable and the holders are available for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of those at H&F.

Unfortunately the QA-140 piston type(BXA, 250-200) is too large for the SC4, as is the AXA (250-100) from CTC.
It's a shame that CTC don't have the 0XA (250-000) size as this suits 7" and 8" machines. The only option for these is LMS and Tormach, with killer shipping.

Last edited by ///; 02-18-2015 at 03:21 AM.