Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Yet another QCTP thread (BXA on AL320G)

Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
lennardhme

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Many thanks Rod - they are useful leads.
I'll see if I can start another thread & post a pic. but I try to avoid this as I'm only on dial up & it takes forever.
I am making another CI plate that I'd planned to machine T slots into for in line boring & may be able to incorporate your bolt mod for the compound. Means a little bit of changing but only 4 or 6 screws so would'nt take long.
After that I'll be looking to see if I can get a set of change wheels for Imperial threads.
Great little lathe apart from the weak compound & no T slots on the cross slide.
thanks again,
Leonard

Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
rodw

Liked 284 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennardhme View Post
Many thanks Rod - they are useful leads.
I'll see if I can start another thread & post a pic. but I try to avoid this as I'm only on dial up & it takes forever.
I am making another CI plate that I'd planned to machine T slots into for in line boring & may be able to incorporate your bolt mod for the compound. Means a little bit of changing but only 4 or 6 screws so would'nt take long.
After that I'll be looking to see if I can get a set of change wheels for Imperial threads.
Great little lathe apart from the weak compound & no T slots on the cross slide.
thanks again,
Leonard
Leonard, am I missing something here? I am sure the imperial change whels were included with mine. All of the change gear tables show imperial as well but I am trying to stick with Metric having been sold on the SI system many years ago.

The other weakness of this lathe, which I have now got my head around is that the tail stock can move if not clamped tightly enough. I think it was my own fault for not adjusting up the locking lever correctly when I cleaned it all up but if turning a long part, I will make sure the top nut is also tightened down. I think I have got this nailed now!

As for cross slide and compound weaknesses, I have yet to find them becasue it is several levels of magnitude more rigid than my last lathe!

The manual is terrible, there is a much better one at Bolton Tools http://www.boltonhardware.com/images/pdf/cq9332.pdf

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
robcas631
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 3582

Great job Rod!

"Times are worse than they should be but not as bad as they could be." <<< Me
rodw Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
lennardhme

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No you havent missed a thing Rod. Mine is a AL250G, identical specs to your lathe except metric only gearing. Imp. threading is something I'll have a look at when time permits - I have another lathe that does both. In Oz its probably a good idea for you to go metric, although its difficult to find 2mm taps. Small stuff I use BA anyway. I dont have an issue with the cross slide design, just the compound strength. I was impressed with the accuracy & finish on this lathe, expected to be doing cleanup & mods for several months but have found no issues apart from the compound. I did have to adjust the tailstock lever to a more vertical position to make it easier to lock, but this was only a 2 min. job & more of a personal preference than a design problem.
Best of luck with your new lathe,
cheers,
Leonard

Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennardhme View Post
No you havent missed a thing Rod. Mine is a AL250G, identical specs to your lathe except metric only gearing.
Leonard
Now I understand. I looked at the AL250G. It is not identical to mine. I think they come from different suppliers. The main difference is that on your lathe, the threading is metric only and gearbox driven. On mine, the threading is selected by pick gears. Also mine has a power cross feed which the AL250G does not. I like that as I do a lot of facing.

I considered both and figured once I added a 4 jaw chuck, the price difference was not much between them so I went with the larger chuck and bigger swing.

I am not sure if you will be able to teach your lathe to cut imperial threads so keep your other lathe, but it never ceases to amaze me what people can achieve on this forum.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #16
wolfye

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fantastic!

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

I bought the QCTP yesterday on sale for $160.00 from H&F. I'd seen your post on fitting one of these to an AL320G and was confident that I could do likewise.

This morning I went down to my local bolt shop and picked up a mild steel M16 bolt with a 100mm shank and went to work using your instructions.

I could not have been happier and it fits like a bought one.

Should we ever meet, I will most certainly shout you a beer!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #17
rodw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfye View Post

Thanks Wolfye, I'm always open for a beer

Here's another mod I did to the toolpost to finish off this thread. I went down to Supercheap and bought a cheap spanner to fit the 16mm bolt and hacked it up. I made a washer out of some 25mm dia scrap because I dd not have one handy to suit the M10 bolt.

Then I tapped the hole at the head of the bolt which I had drilled right through at the correct diameter for an M10 thread when I made the toolpost.

And now I have a quick release when adjusting the angle of the Toolpost.

The spanner clears the release lever nicely.

I think this is a good way to go because you can move the lever around to any angle and quickly remove it if it is getting in the road (which it does for some operations). Generally, I just leave it finger tight.

I'm really at a loss to understand why H&F recommend a much more expensive QCTP for this lathe when fitting the BXA s so easy!
People Like This 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
gus
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

Here's one more QCTP. DIY this from surplus bar stocks. The Red Knobs cost a fair bit. Bought it for the Red Colour which is striking. The mini-lathe is too small to take any commercial QCTP.
The landed cost in Singapore would hurt my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1143.jpg  
larry1 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
wolfye

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This has been fantastic and great to work with! Much faster to change tools.
The only problem I have now is when knurling that the pressure on the tool can turn the toolpost.
Cheers!
rodw Likes This 
Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #20
simister
John

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Qctp al-320

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfye View Post

I bought the QCTP yesterday on sale for $160.00 from H&F. I'd seen your post on fitting one of these to an AL320G and was confident that I could do likewise.

This morning I went down to my local bolt shop and picked up a mild steel M16 bolt with a 100mm shank and went to work using your instructions.

I could not have been happier and it fits like a bought one.

Hi, I am also looking at a QCTP for the Al-320. Is the tool post you purchased from Hare Forbes the "Order Code: L292" for about $200?

John