Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Finished Projects > Penbwl a Welsh tadpole

Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Tony Bird
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 614 Times on 330 Posts

Default Penbwl a Welsh tadpole

Hi,

It is some time since I posted anything in HMEM, for the last couple of months I have been making a copy of a model steam powered boat described in the August 1933 edition of Popular Mechanics. I have to say that it isn't the prettiest boat that I have built but it does have a certain ugly charm. Known as Polly Wog which I believe is American slang for tadpole the designer isn't credited in PM. On the net I found a 1939 catalogue of a company name Boucher that was marketing both a finished boat and a kit to build a Polly Wog. I wonder if they got the design from PM? It would be interesting to know.

The build started because a member of the Mamod Forum to which I belong to, posted the plans and text for Polly Wog which he had found re-published in a Live Steam magazine.

I was looking for something different to make and Polly Wog is different! A steam outboard motor, a boiler consisting of three tubes joined at each of their ends and a twin rudder in front of the propeller.

Some of the materials suggested were a little bit of a problem to obtain in South Wales: Orange boxes for the hull bottom, aluminium stovepipe for the deck, bevelled gears from a radio tuning condencer for the right angle drive of the engine and a slip tee for the gear box housing being particulary difficult to sourse.

The boiler is heated using Sterno and produces enough heat to power the engine easily. It has been tested in a tank and seems to work well. A safety valve has been fitted instead of just a filling plug as suggested. Rudder only R/C is fitted. Unfortunately our local lake is weed bound until the winter kicks in when it dies back, so it will be some time before it can be tested.

A direct translation of Penbwl, pronounced Pen as in ink and Bull as in cow, is flat head and is used in Welsh for Tadpole. Why Tadpole as well? If you have visited Wales virtually everything is in both English and Welsh. It seemed a shame not to do the same also there were enough letters on the sheet of transfers to do it. The other side has Polly Wog on it just in case she goes to the States, I would hate a language problem.

I did take some photographs of the construct techniques if anyone is interested, which I could post retrospectively.

Regards Tony.

Attached Thumbnails
011 PW Finished Penbwl Tadpole LR.jpg   010 PW Finished Penbwl Tadpole LR.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
compspecial

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Very interesting, Tony..please tell us more!
Stew

Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3594 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Very nice!!! I see you are using twin wobblers for a motor drive. a lot of folks on here would appreciate plans for that engine.--Very nice and unique project.---Brian

Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
dsquire

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tony

I don't care if it is a Penbwl or a Tadpole, it still is a very nice boat. I can well imagine that you would have had a hard time finding Orange crates to use. My sister still has 2 of them from when we were kids. We used them as bedside tables when we were kids. I think that I would have a hard time if I were to try and use one to build a Tadpole.

We definitely would like to see some more photos and details on how you built the boat as well as the engine details. Perhaps you could re post the plans if it doesn't violate copy-rite or post a link to them.

Thanks for showing this to us.

Cheers

Don
and your better best

Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3594 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 36

DSquire--It must have been a Canadian thing. All the beds in the house I grew up in had orange crates stood on end as night tables beside the bed. My mother had sewn fancy slipcovers for them. they even came with a built in divider that acted as a shelf.---Brian

Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

http://books.google.com/books?id=7OE...%20wog&f=false
tin

Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
dsquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rupnow View Post
DSquire--It must have been a Canadian thing. All the beds in the house I grew up in had orange crates stood on end as night tables beside the bed. My mother had sewn fancy slipcovers for them. they even came with a built in divider that acted as a shelf.---Brian
Brian

It was the same in our house. Mother or Grandmother had made nice slip-covers for them. If I remember correctly mine had Cowboys and Indians on them.

Cheers

Don
and your better best

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
dsquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Falcon View Post
Thanks

Cheers

Don
and your better best

Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Tony Bird
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Hi,

http://books.google.com/books?id=7OEDAAAAMBAJ&q=todpole#v=onepage&q=Polly% 20wog&f=false

Yes that is the original article from Popular Mechanics. My copy came from the October 1981 edition of Live Steam which is identical to the original article.

If anyone is thinking of making the boiler or engine it will need drawing out as there are anomalies in the dimentions. I will see if I can make sense of the sketches that I did and post them along with some constructional photograghs.

Regards Tony.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Tony Bird
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Hi,

Some photographs of the construction of Polly Wog's Hull. Steaming hull sides, bending hull bottom and finished hull.

Regards Tony.

Attached Thumbnails
012 PW Construction steaming hull LR.jpg   020 PW Construction Mk2 bending  hull base LR.jpg   018 PW Construction hull assembled LR.jpg  
larry1 Likes This