Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Photos and Videos > Gas Turbine build, pictorial build log.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
rythmnbls

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Gas Turbine build, pictorial build log.

I thought the membership here might be interested in a pictorial build log of my current gas turbine project. The turbine is a 180N/40lbs thrust design by Gerald Rutten. Plans can be downloaded here http://members.tele2.nl/geraldensuzanne/turbines.htm .

The engine presented here has some changes from the original design, the turbine wheel is larger, 75mm instead of 70mm, and the compressor wheel is a Garrett TO4E-54 instead of the Schwitzer 316954.

Here is the link to the album on photobucket http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...r/Turbine%202/

Slideshow of the above http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...view=slideshow

Thanks for reading.

Steve.

People Like This 
Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
blighty

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Re: Gas Turbine build, pictorial build log.

40lb'er what are you putting that in? or are you just going to bug the neighbours with it

interesting build, i wouldn't mind having a go at one my self, just need to find some inconel.

what ecu are you running with it and how is the NGV holding up? as in, are you getting any warping with the fins?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Swede

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Lovely build, Gerald! I'm kind of surprised that gas turbines don't receive more attention than they do from "traditional" model engineers. They are absolutely fascinating to build and operate, and the power to weight is frightening... in fact, I've always found operating them a bit intimidating. You've certainly got to respect them.

They are a bit unique vs. any reciprocating engine in that if you give the latter more fuel and air, they accelerate, up to a point, but in the end, friction and forces win out and it becomes difficult to get more power out of them. Gas turbines, OTOH, give them more fuel, they suck their own air, keep accelerating, and the limiting factor usually becomes heat.

Some of these smaller turbines turn at 160,000 RPM or more, and they'd happily turn 250,000 if they didn't get so hot they lose integrity under the immense forces at play. For all this, the fuel controller becomes a crucial component of any successful build.

Again, nice work!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
rythmnbls

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
40lb'er what are you putting that in?
With the addition of a free power turbine stage it looks like (on paper) it will produce in excess of 40hp, so a lightweight motorcycle frame is the the most likely destination. Something like an RGV250 frame.

Quote:
what ecu are you running with it and how is the NGV holding up? as in, are you getting any warping with the fins?
This engine is yet to run although a similar NGV I have in another turbine doesn't warp at all, these NGV's are heated to red heat after welding and prior to final machining for stress relief.

Quote:
I've always found operating them a bit intimidating.
I agree, especially the first time I ran one on kerosene, the most stressed component of that event was me

Steve.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
petertha
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Look forward to your build & lots of pictures. I think miniature turbines are an incredible feat of engineering effort. Ive been involved in RC a long time & I'm just blown away at how far commercial turbines have advanced - jets, heli's, turbo-props, boats & everything in between. But to make it yourself, and strap it to a bike, well thats just too cool!

I just finished reading 2 books, more history orientated: "Genesis of the Jet Engine" (Frank Whittle & the Invention of the Jet Engine) by John Golley. And "Not Much of an Enginee" (Sir Stanley Hooker Autobiography). Fascinating stuff.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
blighty

Quote:
the most stressed component of that event was me Grin
with you there

the first time i started my home build up i was jumping around like a little girl. think it was a case of OMG it works..... OMG!!! how big are those flames!!!

there is a guy doing what your doing on the GTBA, but as i haven't rejoined i don't know hows he getting on. any how worth a look if you a member.

Petertha.

just to let you know, Wren turbines are now given the plans for there MW54 away for free. i would post a link, but for some reason i cant get on the site. if you build it or not, it's still worth a look see.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
gmac

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/mw54-t...nd-stage-plans

thanks blighty, I've been looking for a set of turbine plans! And thanks for posting Steve, I'll be following your progress with interest.

Cheers Garry

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
rythmnbls

Quote:
there is a guy doing what your doing on the GTBA
That's me same engine.

There isn't much activity on the GTBA these days so I thought I would post the links here. Hopefully the photos will show that the more difficult parts, ie the turbine wheel and NGV, are quite manageable in a home shop. The material costs for those parts were less than $50, much less than the commercially available parts. Hopefully that will inspire a few more HSM'ers to give it a try

Steve.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
blighty

that's you is it on the GBTA? as i said i was following you then my member ship run out (don't think i will rejoin). i remember thinking when you announced what you was going to do with it..... i thought you bloody nutter!! (that's in good way )

yes, turbine parts are very expensive. i looked in to making another MW54 and just to buy the parts you cant make would of cost 800. i mean 112 for a fuel pump. really, what is it? a 280 motor and 2 little gears.

i don't think it will encourage more home builders until the stigma of turbines dies down and people begin to realise there not all that.

flame suit on for my last comment.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Tony B

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love the sound of a turbine,

Nice work on yours,amazing what you can do in your shed