Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > Introduction > One more Aussie to the fold....

Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Welcome to the forum.
Tin

Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
AussieJimG
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome Pony, I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. They are a great bunch of blokes.

Jim

Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
steamboat willie

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hello Pony!
I too am a new member and have already gleaned much from the friendly and the helpful on this Forum. I am pleased to see another Aussie aware of the services of CTC Tools - I have been using them for several years now and have had nothing but excellent service from them. It is good to find somewhere reliable these days, and when I do, I tend to stick with them. With postage being what it is from the other side of the planet they represent a great saving for us here.
What are your areas of engineering interest?
Cheers!
Steamboat Willie.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #14
Pony

Hi Steamboat Willie,

Thank you for your kind words. I must apologise for not replying sooner but my excuse is that I did retire in December - poor excuse I know!
I'm interested in all things turning and milling as a learning experience. An engine will come but in the meantime I have designed and built several black powder loading presses for fellow club members. I will attempt to upload an image and maybe take orders - LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
image-1444376505.jpg  

Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Swifty

Liked 813 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Hi Pony, a belated G'day. So the black powder goes straight into the chamber with a ball on top? Obviously for a revolver.

Paul.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Tinkerer58

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey welcome Pony, Aussie here from Sydney, best way to learn some machining or if you just wanna brush up from school days I went to TAFE and did a few night classes, well worth the time and investment. After my renos are finished I'm going back to do some more (as long as the Mrs doesn't have any other bright ideas LOL).

Old 08-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #17
nowramfg

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"However the lathe and mill have been in use as I have recently made some Nipple Wrenches for the Remmy. Version 2's are coming out this week where, hopefully the lugs don't break!"
I always used my fingers for nipples.
welcome from this expat. nasho in '68 4RAR.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
AussieJimG
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat willie View Post
Hello Pony!
I too am a new member and have already gleaned much from the friendly and the helpful on this Forum. I am pleased to see another Aussie aware of the services of CTC Tools - I have been using them for several years now and have had nothing but excellent service from them. It is good to find somewhere reliable these days, and when I do, I tend to stick with them. With postage being what it is from the other side of the planet they represent a great saving for us here.
What are your areas of engineering interest?
Cheers!
Steamboat Willie.
Hi Bill, I was thinking of you only the other day when I needed more light on my milling machine. Time I came over to see what you have been up to.

Jim

Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
Hi Pony, a belated G'day. So the black powder goes straight into the chamber with a ball on top? Obviously for a revolver.

Paul.
Hi Paul,
Yes it does,17 grains then Semolina as a filler with the ball pressed into the chamber with about 2 mm clearance. The revolvers do have an inbuilt ram but are really hard to use and can be easily bent. The .44 calibre ball is in fact .451 so that there will be a shaved ring as the ball is forced into the chamber. This ensures a tight fit for maximum pressure and accuracy. The top of the chamber is then lubricated with a non petroleum grease. I use the American Crisco solid oil, works great.

There is a percussion cap fitted to the nipple at the bottom of each cylinder. Somewhere else I mentioned making a Nipple Wrench!

Why Semolina? Need to make sure there is no air space otherwise the chamber can EXPLODE.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerer58 View Post
Hey welcome Pony, Aussie here from Sydney, best way to learn some machining or if you just wanna brush up from school days I went to TAFE and did a few night classes, well worth the time and investment. After my renos are finished I'm going back to do some more (as long as the Mrs doesn't have any other bright ideas LOL).
Hi Tinkerer58,
Thank you for your welcome. I did in fact attend a hobby machining class here at Canberra Tafe. Unfortunately hobby classes here, like the trade classes are basically defunct. Made a nice plumb bob.

Cheers,

Allan