Project of the Month built by Stefan-K
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > Welcome > Welcome!!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 AM   #31
Brass_Machine

Liked 32 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Re: Welcome!!

Heya Jerry,

Welcome to the club. We were all newbies at one time. In fact I still probably am. Never fear about asking for help or opinions here, we will help in whatever way we can. Do you have a mill or lathe yet?

Eric

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

A still more glorious dawn awaits...-Carl Sagan

Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #32
mojojerry

Hello Eric.
Good to hear from you.
Yes I stumbled across a brand new made in China Mill/Lathe on ebay. I know China gets a bad rap, but I had to get what I could afford. I was looking into he-lo engines trying to find something that I could play with when I felt like it. I am a chronic pain case. Back and neck mostly. I usually have from 4 to 16 hrs a week, if I am lucky, that I feel like doing anything. I had just as soon not bore you with all the details. I just mentioned it so you will know why I sometimes take a lot longer than others to get things done. I just don't feel like doing much when I'm hurting.
Now lets cut some metal. Anyway I bought it for $150.00. I think it sells new for $620.00 or so new. It seems that the drill spindle cover had gotten bent in shipment to the original owner and he refused it. It was put up for auction, and now its mine. After I washed all of the protective grease off of it, it looks really good to me. It's a Central Machinery Model 5980. It's a combo Mill and Lathe. It's strictly manual operation. If I had my ruthers? I had rather had a CNC Mill and a CNC Lathe. But for now I have been reading everything I can about Mill and Lathe operations. I have seen a lot of parts made for holding fixtures on a mill where I use to work and designed some of them myself. I have never really seen much of anything done on a lathe. I am not in any hurry. I will continue to read and study. I am slowly gathering up my milling materials and tools. I will soon start gathering up my lathe tools.
I would love to have a good set of plans on a 1 to 2Ci V twin, water cooled engine with air cooing fins on the heads. Jerry

Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #33
rake60
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 192 Posts

Welcome to HMEM Jerry

Rick

Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #34
mojojerry

Thanks Rick. I am really glad that you started this site. I feel like it will do a lot of good for a lot of us would be machinist. Thanks again. Jerry

Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #35
rake60

Welcome to HMEM Chuck

Rick

Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #36
ksouers

Liked 55 Times on 55 Posts

Welcome Chuck!

Nice to have another Missourian on board! I'm just up the road outside St. Louis.

I make things.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #37
buzzsaw

Hello!! I found This site just today, and it is what I have been looking for! My main goal is to design and build 4, 6, and 8 cyl four stroke engines with about a two inch bore and stroke. I have done casting in aluminum, But I would like to cast cast iron, for cranks and camshafts,etc. I am a Master ASE auto tech, and I build racing and street big blocks for street rodders, But my interests have gotten smaller. From about

Old 08-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #38
rake60

Welcome to HMEM buzzsaw

Rick

Old 08-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #39
minerva

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hi guys,
I have just added two penny worth to one of the main stream-posts so thought I'd better introduce myself!!
A resident of the UK ( lincolnshire ) I'm a long in the tooth, 70 year old, retired, in flight engineer with a background that has over the years spanned heavy engineering (Power station Steam turbine manufacture), Electronic engineering, in flight engineering with the R.A.F and after some 18 years, on leaving the service I was appointed works manager to a large furniture manufacturer. Following retirement some six years ago Model boats became my passion and many models later I sought a new challenge and a visit to YOU tube tempted me to have a go at one of Jan Riddings designs. only time will tell how I fare as workshop is minimalistic (mini-lathe, pillar drill, lots of hand tools ) although time is plentiful and thanking the good Lord eyes and hands and legs are all in good working order.
I look forward to meeting you all in the fullness of time in order to pick your brains
Kindest Regards
Minerva
Aka Terry t

PS How do you attach Avatar to posts?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #40
cfellows

Liked 747 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to HMEM, Terry. Glad to have you aboard!!

Chuck