Project of the Month built by apointofview
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > Welcome > Welcome!!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
JSTAR

Default Re: Welcome!!

Hey guys! My name is Justin, from Idaho, and I'm at home most of the time so I really need a good hobby.
My main interest at the moment is in building a steam engine that can eventually be adapted to do any number of tasks. However, I don't have machine shop tools, like a mill, lathe, etc. I do have a lot of regular garage tools, and I use them well, but I don't have machining stuff yet (an thus far I don't have the cash to get what I "need").

Anyhow, perhaps my main goal here is to become self sufficient. What I mean by that is I want to create a few things that could be used if times/economy/governments get bad and I find myself needed to survive on my own....You get my meaning, I'm sure. Eventually, I'd like to learn to find my own metals in the ground and (forgetting the names of the steps) sift out the dirt and metals, melt them down, make some molds and make my own casts. Is this really weird Probably but it's an interest of mine either way. But right now my main interest is in finding simply steam engine plans that call for materials I can get at a Home Depot or somewhere else, and where I don't need any millwork (though if only a little was needed, I'm sure I could find a neighbor with something that would work). Anyhow, i'm off to go read the forums.

This seems to be a wonderful site, thanks Rick.

Justin

Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #22
Brass_Machine

Liked 33 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome Justin.

Check HERE for plans called the 'hardware steamer' No mill or lathe needed.

Good luck and don't be afraid to as questions.

Eric

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

A still more glorious dawn awaits...-Carl Sagan

Old 07-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
mojojerry

Hello to all. I am a newbie from Greenville, Alabama. This site is a Godsend. I am not a very religious person but I have to say, may God bless you Rick and all the moderators and help you have here and to all that are willing to share with us newbies. thank you, Jerry

Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
Divided He ad

Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Hi Jerry, Yes you are correct this site is a .............very knowledgeable collective of very nice people

How much of a newbie are you?

Is greenville Alabama near a place called Flatrock?

Just curious!

Ralph.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #25
JohnS

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Flatrock ? Is that where Barnie Rubble lives

John S

Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #26
Divided He ad

Close John.... Very close!!

Go back to the armchair and find the kids TV channels.... Then report back to me with the correct answer

Ralph.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #27
zeusrekning

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Ralph, If this is the place you and I spoke of it is not the same Greenville. Just a couple states left of us is Alabama. Flat Rock NC is just a stones throw north of where Steve and I live here in upstate South Carolina.
Tim

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
Metal Mickey
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Welcome from another new member. For the short time I have been on the site I have been nothing but impressed. They certainly are a friendly and just as important, knowledgeable bunch!

I use my lathe to turn 'a' round........then I go back....

Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #29
Divided He ad

Right you are Tim, geography was never my strong suit!

I was just trying to find out info again

Looks like next year anyway

Ralph.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #30
mojojerry

Hello to all. Well Ralph I use to think I knew my way around. But a lot has happened in all our lives. I was a trained electronic tech most of my life. I worked the last 15 years as a manufacturing engineer. After an accidential stroke in 2004 I retired on disability. Before my stroke I was very familiar with the functions of a machine shop as I worked with machinist to make all kinds of test equipment for the seatbelt manufacturing plant where I worked here in Greenville. I never actually had any hands on operating a mill or lathe. I was very familar with drawings.
I am extremely slow now. I can remember very little and have to research everything that I do.
I see lots of flat rocks each morning when I wake up. Ha, Ha,. There are 3 flat rocks on the Alabama map. 2 about 2 to 2.5 hrs north of Greenville and one about 45 minutes south of here. I guess flatrock is a pretty common town name. At least in the south.
Hi John S. Barnie lives right down the road from me. I will tell him that you ask about him.
Hey Tim. Sometimes I think Greenville,South Carolina is a mirror image of Greenville, Alabama.
Glad to here from another newbie Mickey. You do seem to be way ahead of me. I see you got your drawing out and seem to be hard at work.
Well guys it is good to here from you all. You make me feel very welcome.
I have to admit I have spent most of the day reading of your and others exploits. I love this site already. thanks again, see you later Jerry