Project of the Month built by SilverSanJuan
Home Model Engine Machinist > HMEM > Introduction > Welcome!!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Welcome!!

Home Model Engine Machinist
Dedicated to the hobbyist machinist building model engines .

Welcome to the board. Rick has done a fantastic job of getting things started. Letís all do our part to keep the ball rolling and have this site grow. We do not want to make a lot of rules. The members of this board have been exemplary! Keep up the good work.

As the membership approaches 200 we would like to lay out the following

guidelines:

1) Get involved and have fun!

2) Make suggestions we all can learn from others we all have a different perspective, experience and education.

3) Have a question or problem? Ask! Thereís no such thing as a dumb question.

4) Show us some of your work we all need inspiration.

5) Lets keep reasonably focused here use the break room for general discussions. Lets remember the first focus here is model engines.

6) Be SAFE! If your head doubts the safety of a set up or procedure,

ask for suggestions. If the suggestions still donít feel right

DON'T DO IT!

7) If you have a tried and true setup that is helpful to the rest of us tell us about it and show us a photo.

we are all here to learn and share.

9) please put a general location in your profile so we know what part of the world and country state,province you are from. If it a large state like California , Texas, or Alaska, etc reference to the nearest large city would be good. Please place with avatar or in the signature line so it is handy.

Addendum :
Well the membership is over 2600 at this point and the board has grown there are a few things to add.

There are several Notices and sticky threads in various sub-fora please take time to read them. These include but are not limited to :
"Copyright notice"in the plans area
"Safety Rules " in the safety section
and
"Notice" in the about HMEM area.

Please confine O/T posts to the break room

Please try to place posts in the most appropriate sub fora.

We encourage all new members to post a introduction thread in the welcome area. That way when you ask a question , answer a question or give advice we have some idea of who you are and your perspective.

Regards

Tin & The HMEM Team

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
lathe nut
Lathe Nut
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts

Default Re: Welcome!!

Hello all, what a wonderful group, you all are good, I mean great, let me tell you some about me, call my self Lath Nut, well that is what my wife called me first, a few years ago, went to a machine shop go get an axle turned down for my kids home made ride that I was making, he gave me such a hard time, I decided that I was going to find a late and make it my self, well that lathe needed parts so I found a second lathe to make parts for the first one, well in the hunt I had run across other things, so with seven lathe, three shapers, a lot of drill presses, and to much other to mention, have just been playing with them and simple things, I really want now that I can do better work to make some small engines, start simple and then some day try the hit and miss, can see here there is a lot of knowledge here, glad to be here, hope to learn and not afraid to ask, looking forward to having fun and sharing in learning and mistakes, I have a full time job, so this is after hours if I am not wore out, thanks again for letting me in, Lathe Nut

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
1Kenny

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Welcome, Lathe Nut.

Check out the plans area, there is a lot of ideas as to what you may want to build.

Kenny

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
lathe nut
Lathe Nut
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts

1KENNY, I have done looking and some printing, about out of ink, they got some stuff on this group, I especially like the ones that show the pic's of how they machine some of the parts, some time still not sure how to hold the parts to machine them, but going to get there, thanks for the invite, Lathe Nut
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
j king

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

New here also.I have been looking all of it over and can say I like it.I see a few posters that are on other boards.This looks to be a friendly place to hang out.Talk to ya latter.
Jim
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Circlip

Hello from the Old country, sorry John bogstandard, had to join in here to keep you on your toes teaching the colonials how to do it properly To everyone else over in the land of the free, Hi, How are yawl? Known on a couple of sites for my sometimes acidic sense of humour (you've got to have one living in Britain) Will elaborate my background as and when posting replies, stop grimacing John!
Best regards to everyone for the coming new year if I don't have to jump on before it happens. Ian

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
DICKEYBIRD

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome Circlip, we call 'em Jesus clips over here. You know, you're installing that odd-sized circlip that isn't available anywhere and just before you slide it over the shaft it goes BING! and disappears into the unknown. That's when you yell JAY-SUS H. KEE-RIST!

More seriously, speaking of the Bogster, anybody heard from him lately? Is he okay?

ps: I make my living in a British auto dealer service department here in the states so yes, I have to have a sense of humor (humour) as well!
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Circlip

Cheers DICKEYBIRD, nomme de plume comes from my time as an apprentice (underpaid slave in engineering) from leaving school. worked for a company over here that was taken over by the TRUARC Co. from over there. Started in toolroom, promoted to drawing office and the rest is history.
Seen Bogstandard logged into site over here but haven't linked.
Good to see your full time employer is teaching you to spell English like what she should be spoke

robcas631 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
rake60
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 219 Times on 194 Posts

Welcome to HMEM Circlip.

Rick
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
Circlip

Many thanks Rick, will try not to ruffle too many feathers too quickly Ian.

robcas631 Likes This