Project of the Month built by Ghosty
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Radial Bi Rotary Engine

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
frankydevaere

Default Radial Bi Rotary Engine

What's in a name

A idea popped up and i build a waste-prototype of a new kind of bi-rotary engine mounted in fixed outer-ring ( kind of Wankel ), and it worked ( until eventually it blow up, testing how long it would last )
Someone told me the idea was brilliant and advised me to patent it, so i did.

Now i am rebuilding it a little bigger, and more good looking.

I'm planning to put images on this forum , if that is OK .

the principle :

a lot of info : http://www.wix.com/devaere/radial-bi-rotary esp section WHITE PAGES ==> FAQ and FAMILY ( with a lot of patents )

hope you enjoy.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Niels Abildgaard

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Re: Radial Bi Rotary Engine

Very interesting and be carefull.
The motion of the pistons is very much like a Fairchild Caminez engine and it was given a try for aircrafts many years ago.
Problem with the scheme was the reaction torgue or delivered torque reverses two times per rev for all four pistons simultaneously giving a very rough engine.
You may need to have two systems displaced 90 degree on output shaft ie 8 cylinders to have a smooth engine.

Niels

Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
BillTodd

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The Caminez was cam engine with a lot of extra reciprocating mass from the roller cam followers.

This Devaere design should suffer less from vibration, but quite how the high surface speed / high pressure cylinder seal is going to work will prove interesting

Attached Thumbnails
Caminez9.gif  

Old 03-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
dieselpilot

Liked 105 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no out of balance mass in the Caminez design. Niels is talking about torque due to cylinder pressure.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
BillTodd

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
There is no out of balance mass in the Caminez design. Niels is talking about torque due to cylinder pressure.
No, the vibration (torque) is not due to cylinder pressure, it's due to the reciprocating mass - The light weight cam/crank & prop was slowed drastically (thus causing the torque) by the, relatively heavy, pistons & rollers as all four changed direction twice per rev.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
frankydevaere

Hmm, the guys on this forum sure know what they are taking about.

Yes , the Fairchild-Caminez Cam Engine was flying, and yes the weight of de rollerbearings doubled the weight of the pistons ( doubling Inertie )
The Caminez was not a rotary, it was a radial (rotating cam ).

In WOII a dutch airplane and motorcycle builder Joop Carly launched a engine called "Wondertol". It was a caminez with a fixed cam, a rotating cylinder bank AND with a fixed outerring. A predessor of Wankel. ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16914589/RBR...0Wondertol.jpg )
Porche didn't knew that and patented this : http://ip.com/patent/US3077870
Recently Jerry Hale built a working one, I think it's already mentioned on this forum :

Besides the different drive mechanism, my cylinder bank is rotating 5 times slower and in opposite direction than/of the crankshaft. Bi-rotary. Giving less wear on the - lets say - apex seals.

This results in 12 ignitions per cylinder bank revolution, done by 5 revolutions of the crankshaft.
Wankel has 3 ingitions per rotor revolution, done by 3 revolutions of the crankshaft.

In fact, this single block engine is 2.5 times a wankel ( 2.5 ignitions per 1 revolution crankshaft , wankel is 1 to 1 )

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
BillTodd

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
my cylinder bank is rotating 5 times slower than the crankshaft. Bi-rotary. Giving less wear on the - lets say - apex seals.
Ah yes, I see that now (missed it first time 'round fumbling for the volume control - why does you tube insist of starting videos at full blast)

Looking forward to your build log

Bill

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
coopertje
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts

Very ambitious project, interesting design! I will be sure following along. Just to watch, I dont have clue about rotaries....

Bill, try to click once on the youtube, it will play normally. Only if you double click it will open in full screen.

Regards Jeroen

Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
frankydevaere

I just found out that the engine has a brother in Itali.

articles : http://ralph-dte.eu/2010/12/14/motor...stoni-rotanti/

it's a rotary with a rather normal crankshaft as in radial engine and not a bi-rotary with engine balance

Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
dieselpilot

Liked 105 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes, of course. It's the force required to change the piston direction. How is this different than the typical four cylinder, other than the total weight of reciprocating components? The Caminez appears to have much greater stroke than this design. Page 579-580, "The Internal Combustion Engine In Theory and Practice- Vol.2", by CF Taylor, talks about 4th order vibration due to the two lobe design of the Caminez.

Is a prototype RBR being built?