Project of the Month built by dnalot
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > 7 x 12 chinese mini lathe mods

Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The way with yours might be a small toggle clamp like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-101A-...id=p5731.m3795

And instead of having the rubber on the end, turn up a piece of brass instead to fit. They should go down small enough to fit the areas you have.
Or else, bolt a piece of 1/2" bar between the two sides and fit something similar that I showed above, or even recess it into both sides.
It really is worth the effort to do this sort of mod.

John

Old 01-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
bazmak
BAZMAK

Liked 656 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 565

The method you have used is not the beast for locking the carriage as it lifts the carriage
off the ways.The best method has been described many times with a clamp under
the centre of the way and a central locking arm that pulls the carriage down on to the ways

Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Baz, that is the way of the commercial providers of saddle locks.

Neither way is ideal Baz, people tend to forget that you should have a film of oil approx 0.002" thick on the ways if the correct way oil is used.
Both yours and my way will either expand or compress that oil film, assuming that the gibs have been correctly set up beforehand with that film in position.

Just as a side note, woe betide anyone who doesn't keep their machines well and correctly lubricated, they are heading for throwing away the machines after a few years, worn out by metal to metal contact, forever destined to be adjusting gibs to keep them on track.

John

Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
goldstar31

Liked 255 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 420

Respectfully, I think that the word 'thickness' is missing. Obviously, one cannot compress liquids of any type. Probably, one of those days?

Again, I'm looking at the saddle on my little ML10 which has been left on the bed so that I'm able to single handedly, tote the thing into the 'warm'. Again, I think that you possibly mean 2/10ths of a thous rather than a whopping 0.002"

Or am I heading for the comforting bosom of Matron at the adjacent 'Fruit and Nut farm' conveniently just over from the Goldstar residence?

Cheers

Norman

Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Not 2 tenths Norman, but your whopping 0.002". Of course, if a thinner lube (the wrong one) is used, then of course the film would be a lot thinner. That is why machines should be lubricated very often with the correct grade for the area it is to work in, on my mill, the autolube gets a shot every hour, because as the ways are moved about, oil spills off the edges of the ways and so that film then soon gets to a metal to metal situation. If it was 2 tenths, then that might be every five minutes it would need a shot.

As you say, most 'liquids' are not compressible, but they can be forced to spread a bit more and get squeezed out with a lot more pressure, or in my way, sucked into a thicker pile.

You should know all this Norman as when I was in the services, it was a major issue when servicing and keeping aircraft flying, but then again, my service was most probably a little later than yours and we had such things as hydraulic powered flying controls. Whenever the aircraft landed, lubes were pumped into all sorts of orifices to keep things running smoothly, sometimes as often as every couple of hours on helicopters as there are a lot of centrifugal forces involved. I suppose that is all done automatically nowadays as the aircraft is flying.

John

Last edited by Blogwitch; 01-08-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
dennisa49
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default A different note

Good day,
The bearing manufacturers SKF have an excellent outline and schedule related to bearings - plain, roller, ball - laying out lube requirements.
It is worth a read. They have a system calculator for all bearing requirements and all varying conditions and loads.
It is surprising how little grease is needed to keep a bearing properly maintained.
Like John I did my time on aircraft engines, then later in asphalt production maintenance. Not outlining my CV., just the reason I looked for info.
The info is high quality.
www.skf.com>grease-lubrcation
Hope this adds to the discussion,
Dennis
ps. hydraulic controls were the go

Old 01-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #17
bazmak
BAZMAK

Liked 656 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Back on track please boys.We are talking about a simple saddle lock
on a cheap chinese mini bench lathe.All I proposed was a lifting clamp to the underside of the ways,not a clamping screw down on top of the way
zoltan Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #18
zoltan

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I agree with bazmak that a lock which clamps the saddle to the ways is preferable to one which lifts it up from the ways.

bazmak Likes This