Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Enco round column power feed

Old 08-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #1
hotrod

Default Enco round column power feed

I like to read other people's modifications for inspiration when I decide I want to modify something . When I decided I wanted a X axis power feed I looked at units ready made and being cheap as dirt I decided to make my own. I knew what I wanted but found no other post with my wants. The difference from all the others I found and what I wanted was I did not like the idea of removing a hand wheel for the power feed. I use the hand wheels on both sides and the vernier scales and wanted to keep them. So I made a unit that mounts on the two bolts for the left side cross shaft support exstending to the rear. It uses a 25 size chain and sprockets to get power to the table side of the hand wheel. There I made a split hub for the sprocket to engage and release the feed. A quarter turn of a socket head bolt. A 12 volt power source, speed controller, power window motor from the scrap pile and a couple of limit switches and I have what I wanted . I did add a bearing to the cross shaft support to aid the steel on Cast iron bearing surface but I don't think that is needed. Just thought others may not losing a hand wheel also and there is a option.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
GLCarlson

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The RF30 style round columns have a fine downfeed arrangement that amounts to a worm drive with a friction clutch on the big downfeed wheel shaft. It's fairly straightforward to add a powered drive onto the backside of the worm (a splined shaft to the worm through a magnetic clutch to a gearmotor, more or less). The result is a machine that works as designed manually, has minimal mods (two mounting holes and a hole in the worm housing), and is under electrical control for downfeed rate and start-stop.

HSM published a series in the 90s about improvements to the round column mills. Well worth looking up, most were really good ideas, well designed and implemented.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
hotrod

That sounds like a good way to have the best of manual and power feed. I like the power unit on the back side out of way. That may go on the things to do list !

Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
GLCarlson

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
That sounds like a good way to have the best of manual and power feed. I like the power unit on the back side out of way. That may go on the things to do list !
pm me for details if that'll help. it's worked fine for 30 years.
Auskart Likes This 
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
hotrod

Thanks for the offer I will pm you when I figer out how it works. I'm not a tech person with these computers. I have made use of my power feed as I decided to resurface the ways on my small atlas lathe I have at home. Flat way lathes have a advantage when it's time to restore them as the worn ways can be recut on a mill then scraped to restore smooth accuracy end to end. I did the 12 in atlas at work a year ago and it still performs great. I cut the ways for it on a 105 series enco mill with no power feed and it was tiring.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
machinedock

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ya thank you for offering am here for getting knowledge. Thank you so much