Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC > CNC Machines and Conversions > Luck of the Dumpster

Old 12-24-2016, 02:44 AM   #31
DICKEYBIRD

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice job Ved; you got that project going very quick! Is that under Arduino control?

peter2uat Likes This 
Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #32
vederstein
Project of the Month Loser!

Liked 258 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Yes,

It's running the Arduino as the GRBL motion controller. The bCNC software is the front end (G-code sender to GRBL). When I get some time, I'm going to see if its rigid enough to do light cuts on aluminium.

I finally realized why most CNC routers have the motors to the front, it maximizes the Y-axis travel. As it is now, the router head will pass over the end of the work area making about 1-1/4 inches of travel useless.

I considered making some brackets to gain back that distance, but on reflection I'll leave it. This overhang will allow me to re-square the X-axis when the two Y-axis motors inevitably get out of sync.

They won't go out of sync from the controller: they run off the same step and direction pulse. They'll get out of sync if someone (or thing) bumps the gantry too hard moving one side but not the other.

(I had a picture of the overhang, but there's something wrong with the website and I keep getting an "upload failed" error. Sorry.

...Ved.

peter2uat Likes This 
Old 12-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #33
DICKEYBIRD

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vederstein View Post
Yes, It's running the Arduino as the GRBL motion controller. The bCNC software is the front end (G-code sender to GRBL). When I get some time, I'm going to see if its rigid enough to do light cuts on aluminium.
That's amazing stuff to me; it was hard enough for me to learn how to use Mach. Seeing what you fellows that really understand computers are able to accomplish never ceases to amaze me.

I think it will do better than you think in aluminum. You'll just have to get your feeds & speeds adjusted to suit your machine & not worry about the blinding speeds & metal hogging feats that seem to obsess everyone. After all, the goal is to make cool stuff, not to fill up one's shop with chips in 5 minutes!
peter2uat Likes This 
Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #34
vederstein
Project of the Month Loser!

Liked 258 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Thanks for the praise, but I'm not really doing anything novel. I'm standing on the shoulders of those that actually wrote and maintain the GRBL and bCNC projects. I just read up on it and put the components together. Those people in the open source community are the real innovators on this project.

I am an industrial machine designer/engineer, so guess I have a technical leg up than most when it comes to machine integration, but I'm no programmer.

As for the chips, I can attest at this time it makes a hell of a lot of wood dust.

Thanks,

...Ved.
peter2uat Likes This 
Old 02-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #35
peter2uat

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Great idea, will copy this as soon as my interest in the 3D-printer thing diminishes ;-)
I love seeing you all doing impossible (for me) things!
Peter